123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Book(s) To Buy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EL34

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: What Book(s) To Buy Reply with quote

I'm a long-time Windows user and this is my first Mac Smile Baby's first pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68175269@N00/22009507/

My question to you all is - What book(s) do you reccomend for getting into this operating system and really learning it well? I have a few years in IT and currently work for the world's largest ISP (cough AOL cough). I have three Microsoft certs and a Cisco CCNA. And I've spent some quality time with Linux so I'm wanting a good OS X book appropriate for my level.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off! Welcome, were glad that you settle here. This site has a good mix of people from old time Mac users (like me) to new Switcher and people that are dipping into both pc and Mac! It's a good mix indeed!

Now there are alot of good books out there for the Mac. The one that I would recommend is the Missing Manual series. It has a lot of info for all levels of Mac Users. Novice to expert! I would also go to a good large book seller like Borders and thumb through a few on the shelves and see what looks good to you! I have seen books that say something like "Mac OS for Unix users" and the other way around "Unix for Mac users" something like that may be right up your alley. Good luck and congrats on the new Mini!!!!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EL34

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the end of my first night on Mac and the biggest impression so far is that I hate iTunes on Mac as much as I hated it on Windows. I have seven years worth of MP3s, hundreds of gigs, all with the file naming convention of 00, 01, 02 and so on at the beginning of the file names which iTunes ignores and plays files in alphabetical order my id tag. Have I missed something or is there a way to force this program to play the files in order by filename instead of tag name? On Windows I just drop the folder onto Winamp and it plays the songs in order. Can anyone suggest a mp3 player for Mac with the simplicity and utility of Winamp?
SStreet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for iTunes, I think this is what you are after:

Create a Playlist, drop the folder in question into the playlist.
Make the filename one of the columns viewable.
Sort by the filename...

Now, I haven't tried this as of yet (no iTunes a the work) but I recall having done a similar operation attempting to sort out all my downloaded [thanks Pepsi!], protected-AAC files from the unprotected ones.

Mac Mini 1.42GHz, 1G, 80G/4200RPM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: