123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Reveals 22-inch LCD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.C. wrote:
Samsung has been making Apples Cinema Displays and iMac displays since they were introduced.

FYI

As far as I know, the screens themselves are from Philips, just like the screens from Dell by the way.
K.C.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
K.C. wrote:
Samsung has been making Apples Cinema Displays and iMac displays since they were introduced.

FYI

As far as I know, the screens themselves are from Philips, just like the screens from Dell by the way.

Nope, Samsung. They have a long term contract with Apple.

Dell may be Phillips, in fact that would make sense since they're cheaper and lower quality.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.C. wrote:

Dell may be Phillips, in fact that would make sense since they're cheaper and lower quality.

I beg to differ. I've read reviews where they actually took apart the ACD and the Dell widescreens and they had the exactly same Philips display installed.
K.C.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
K.C. wrote:

I beg to differ. I've read reviews where they actually took apart the ACD and the Dell widescreens and they had the exactly same Philips display installed.

Hmm, maybe they're using both ?

A link to this ?
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T. is right as far as the 20" goes; I'm not sure about the larger monitors. Here is the link.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an LG.Philips panel. With LG doing most of the manufacturing. Philips helps provide logistics/shipping/distrubition/marketing, etc. And both of them doing the designing/engineering together.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MacRat wrote:
How does this compare to the ViewSonic 22" that is already available? ($349 in Costco BTW)

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx2235wm/

my parents are thinking of getting one of these here in australia,, just for general tv-ing

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/lcd_n3260w?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordz84 wrote:

my parents are thinking of getting one of these here in australia,, just for general tv-ing

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/lcd_n3260w?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs

I don't know how it works in Australia, but look for a coupon online before buying from Dell. I've seen the 22" for as low as $250 here in the states. That 22" ViewSonic with a built-in iPod dock is cool too. It's a shame it won't play video straight off the 5G though. Sad
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

I don't know how it works in Australia, but look for a coupon online before buying from Dell. I've seen the 22" for as low as $250 here in the states. That 22" ViewSonic with a built-in iPod dock is cool too. It's a shame it won't play video straight off the 5G though. Sad

If it is the same as in Europe (Australia has just 4 million more inhabitants than Holland), there might be special offers but the coupon thing like in the USA is unheard of... (Unfortunately) Sad
INSwimmer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 22in Viewsonic w/out the ipod dock. The DVI doesn't work very well on my G4 MacMini. Like maybe for 5min. Then it flickers and dies. The VGA is fine though.

I may return it to CostCo and buy this Dell one. Where would one look for the 'coupons'?
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INSwimmer wrote:

I may return it to CostCo and buy this Dell one. Where would one look for the 'coupons'?

Here and here.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think Samsung made its own panels. The 20" Apple Cinema has a Phillips panel in it; at least it did at some point.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dell 22" is now listed in the Canadian Dell store; price is $329 CAN right now; down from $379 regular price. For comparison, the Samsung 22" can now be bought for $399 CAN at Future Shop or NCIX.

I'm not a Dell fan, but I'm very happy with my 20" widescreen Dell and would seriously consider buying another Dell monitor for that reason. I haven't yet seen any reviews of the Dell 22". There are several for the Samsung. All give it a good rating, but several have noted some backlighting leakage problems.
Din

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I have one question though. Why is Dell releasing their displays overseas before here? I think they did the same thing with their new 24" and 27" displays. In fact, I still don't see the 27" display being offered on their website. Doesn't that seem backwards for a US-based company?

Hazarding a guess, I was reading a lot online about the 2407 when it was out in other countries and just becoming available here. And from all the posts, it really seemed as though they roll out the release in low demand areas elsewhere and work out the bugs before releasing it here where they would have a much larger number of units to worry about for warranty work. Just my theory though, no backup.

As for whose panels are in ADC vs. Dells and other displays, two monitors both using the same panel does not make them equivalent. There are large differences in drive electronics and backlighting system that have significant effects on performance, and there is the unsubstantiated claim that Apple buys higher quality batched panels to get the "cream of the crop" for theirs, FWIW.

I bought my wife a 2407, and for what it offers compared to the ADC 23", and for less money, it was really no contest. And it isn't even ugly.

Din
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: