123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech Announces Quieter miniStack V2
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: NewerTech Announces Quieter miniStack V2 Reply with quote

NewerTech Announces Quieter miniStack V2
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Posted by: Brian

NewerTech today announced that the implementation of engineering enhancements on its miniStack V2 external storage solution has resulted in quieter operation. According to the company, the miniStack V2 accomplishes ultra quiet operation with a construction process that incorporates a passive heat sink that radiates heat away from the hard drive. The extra large aluminum heat sink directly contacts the drive on both the top and side to disperse the maximum amount of heat. An intelligent cooling system initiates an ultra-quiet protective fan only as a precautionary measure, providing the perfect balance between ultimate data security and quiet operation.

NewerTech miniStack V2 storage solutions also include quieter hard drive mechanisms. All models between 160GB and 750GB feature the latest Seagate 5yr warranted Barracuda 7200.9 and 7200.10 mechanisms. The 80GB model features the latest 3yr warranted Hitachi hard disk mechanism. Pricing for the miniStack V2 line starts at $74.95.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/574.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:57 pm; edited 15 times in total
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was the other version real loud. anyone?
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbulava wrote:
was the other version real loud. anyone?

Yes and no. It can be loud and somewhat annoying when the fan comes on, but the rest of the time it's relatively quiet. I really wish Apple made one of these expansion drives for the Mac mini. You know that bugger would be quite. I mean look what they did with the Mac mini. Shocked
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not clear from the description of the new miniStack2 what exactly is different. It still has a heat sink and a fan. Is the new heat sink larger? Is the fan set up not to run at all unless some temperature threshhold is reached?
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The extra large aluminum heat sink directly contacts the drive on both the top and side to disperse the maximum amount of heat

i'm guess the last one wasnt extra large?
mdr25

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one of these last week, I guess before the change. I suppose I should send it back and get one of the new ones? I'm using it for HTPC stuff, so silence is golden.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdr25 wrote:
I just bought one of these last week, I guess before the change. I suppose I should send it back and get one of the new ones? I'm using it for HTPC stuff, so silence is golden.
I would try it if I were you.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdr25 wrote:

totally, at least email customer service and work something out. i know i'd be upset about that.
agrue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Mini Stack Reply with quote

I just got mine today and than emailed tech support about the newest version.

Hi,
This is Jason from the OWC Tech Support Dept.

The one on your order is the newest version - the 'quiet' is just a change in the way it is being advertised. The last change to the ministack line as about 11 months ago when it switched from the version 1 to the version 2 ministack.

------------------------------------------
Sincerely,
Jason Bohannon
Computer Technician
Other World Computing, Inc.
1004 Courtaulds Drive
Woodstock, IL 60098
(815)338-8685
hdtech@macsales.com
diulei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

Wonder why they didn't market that "feature" before - seems like it would be a big selling point.
mdr25

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks agrue, I guess I'll just stick with the one I have. The article text doesn't necessarily contradict what Jason from OWC wrote, although the 123macmini headline sorta does. "Quieter V2" sounds like it is quieter than the original V2.

NewerTech's site doesn't have anything under the "News" section where you'd think they'd announce a new product revision, further supporting Jason's claim. Maybe some overzelous marketing person just got a hold of some recent test data that says it is quieter than the V1 and decided to make some noise about it (pun intended) instead of just discretely adding the info to the product page on the website?
rikkileetravolta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: miniStack V2 quieter operation - engineering & drives Reply with quote

NewerTech and its primary source distributor OWC are always in the process of making great products even better. The miniStack was designed from the very beginning to be a quiet companion for FireWire or USB2 equipped systems. NewerTech is always looking for ways to continual improve the products available to the Mac community, so throughout the year we have jumped at the the chance to incorporate the use of even quieter hard drives and make other internal adjustments to the miniStack V2 in order to provide a storage solution that is now quieter than ever. The miniStack has never been, by any means, loud - but today's models are quieter than ever thanks to the latest in Seagate and Hitachi hard disk drive technology, among other things - including our own proprietary internal engineering enhancements. While these modifications had a dramatic effect in providing ultra quiet operation, as that these modifications were internal and not plainly visible, a definition of being a new model in and to itself (V3) was not warranted - the miniStack V2 is still the newest model on the market, simply with internal engineering modifications. These design improvements have been made over the past several months to positive customer feedback to the degree that the enhanced ultra-quiet operation could have the spotlight of formal acknowledgment placed on it. Very Happy - You'll note this is my first post with 123Macmini, and as a representative of NewerTech I want to thank you for allowing me the opportunity to jump in to the mix. I also want to thank 123Macmini for providing this kind of great forum for the exchange of ideas. It is feedback of users like you that allows NewerTech to continually improve products and meet the needs of the Mac community. Thanks you! - Rikki-Lee Travolta
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: miniStack V2 quieter operation - engineering & drive Reply with quote

rikkileetravolta wrote:
The miniStack has never been, by any means, loud - but today's models are quieter than ever thanks to the latest in Seagate and Hitachi hard disk drive technology, among other things - including our own proprietary internal engineering enhancements.

Has the fan been changed or modified in any way?
grayskyz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the scoop! Now I have to decide to jump on one now or wait to see if you guys have:

A: a serial ata version coming out (I know you do, you have to)
B: a ministack v3 with card readers and tv tuner
C: a macworld deal/ price drop.

I'm not expecting you to tell me anyway.

C.

postscript///

Dude... you have to get so many chicks with a name like Rickie Lee Travolta
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grayskyz wrote:

B: a ministack v3 with card readers and tv tuner

That would be sweet! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: