123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Telestream Releases Drive-in Beta
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Telestream Releases Drive-in Beta Reply with quote

Telestream Releases Drive-in Beta
Friday, December 1, 2006
Posted by: Brian

I think Mac HTPC enthusiasts will find this bit of news to be of interest. Telestream, the company behind the Flip4Mac digital media tools for the Mac, has released the Drive-in beta. The new application allows you to store your personal DVD movie library on your Mac. According to the company, "Using Drive-in you can create an image of a DVD disc on your laptop or home entertainment system. The image preserves the quality, navigation and special features of the original DVD and can be played using Apple's DVD Player or Front Row. Drive-in preserves the DVD's original content protection. Drive-in allows you to play your images on any computer that you own but does not allow you to share your images with others" The Drive-in beta allows you to create DVD images for free, but you must purchase the final release if you wish to use those images, or create new ones, after the beta testing period has ended. The beta software will expire on January 7, 2007.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/568.html
Squid3660

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Known Issues for this Beta Release...

...Attempting to image or play the movie Hellboy may cause Drive-in to crash."

LMAO! C'mon... It wasn't THAT bad!
Scarpad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squid3660 wrote:
"Known Issues for this Beta Release...

...Attempting to image or play the movie Hellboy may cause Drive-in to crash."

LMAO! C'mon... It wasn't THAT bad!

I Wonder why just Hellboy... could be Sony's bizarro Arcos Protection on that disk. Anyhow does this Software Compress the disk or just make an image? Seems like you can do this with DVDDecryptor. Confused Question
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarpad wrote:
Anyhow does this Software Compress the disk or just make an image? Seems like you can do this with DVDDecryptor. Confused Question

If it's just an ISO, then I guess even Disk Utility should be able to do that...?
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I never try beta's, I thought I'd give this one a try.
6.75GB disk took 29min. It used around 10% CPU and 250Mb RAM.

They want tons of info just to register the beta. I tried to mount the image on my ibook thats networked to the Mini's external without success. It works as advertised, I'd never buy this product. Since I don't have TB's of storage.
Toast wouldn't burn the image either. Which I had figured it wouldn't. With MTR and other free utilities I think this product is going to be a hard sell.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you save the images to an external drive and play them back in Front Row?

Last edited by aquaman on Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scarpad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:

They want tons of info just to register the beta. I tried to mount the image on my ibook thats networked to the Mini's external without success. It works as advertised, I'd never buy this product. Since I don't have TB's of storage.
Toast wouldn't burn the image either. Which I had figured it wouldn't. With MTR and other free utilities I think this product is going to be a hard sell.

Mr. Montana, what exactly is it doing is it an Iso of an exact size of the Disk? I mean I can make an Iso with utilities and mount it up on my PC using Theatertek and other players, what exactly is this doing that you'd spend money on it?
redrogue5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got excited when I heard about playing the DVD images through Front Row. But if you look at the FAQ, you have to first use their software to load a specific DVD image, and only then is that image available in Front Row. So you can't actually navigate through the DVD images stored in your library using just FR (and more importantly, just your remote).

Looks like there is still no good way to store all your DVDs on your mini and operate it with just a remote (other than ripping with Handbrake and losing special features and image quality).
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redrogue5 wrote:
I got excited when I heard about playing the DVD images through Front Row. But if you look at the FAQ, you have to first use their software to load a specific DVD image, and only then is that image available in Front Row.

That's disappointing to hear. It would be cool if it added a new menu in Front Row from which you could access all your movies. I haven't downloaded it, but it looks like it has less sexy Delicious Library thing going for it. Is there anything worthy there?
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarpad wrote:
TonyMontana wrote:

Mr. Montana, what exactly is it doing is it an Iso of an exact size of the Disk? I mean I can make an Iso with utilities and mount it up on my PC using Theatertek and other players, what exactly is this doing that you'd spend money on it?

That's just it. It's not doing anything that I'd spend money on. Wink
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i don't seethe point of this program. previous existing freeware programs do the same thing. if it compressed the image that'd be worth getting.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how Drive in gets DVD cover art and the movie description, but something like distantDVD is more practical. It also has a better interface for a big screen TV.
agruenebaum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Mission possible Reply with quote

redrogue5 wrote:
It Looks like there is still no good way to store all your DVDs on your mini and operate it with just a remote (other than ripping with Handbrake and losing special features and image quality).

However, there is a way to store all your DVD and play it back with all features:

1) use MacTheRipper freeware to extract the whole DVD 1:1 to any connected drive
2) use MediaCentral (just place an alias of your DVD storage into the MediaCentral folder) to play back DVDs using your Apple remote

So far I have stored about 500 MB (about 40% of my DVDs) on an external FW400 raid 0 connected to an "outdated" early G4 fileserver. The MacMini receives it´s data through Gibabit Ethernet. Since you can also place more alias* into the primary storage place, it is possible to use more than one drive or disc-raid in order to store tons of DVD. Time for ripping any DVD depends on your DVD drive speed.

*keep MediaCenter folder empty except on MacMini an alias -> to your primary remote video storage place then add another number of aliases -> to your secondary remote video storage places. You may name those alias by themes such as "Musical", "SFI" and so on).
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Is there anything worthy there?

Doesn't look like it. Not when you can happily use Handbrake (free) & iTunes (also free) to get high quality movies that appear in Frontrow.
imfullofit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it that companies can get it so wrong like this? Is there something of value that may come in later releases? What would it need for you to rave about it?

www.julianvandercook.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: