123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini: Memory Specifications [U]
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Mac mini: Memory Specifications [U] Reply with quote

PPC-based Mac mini (G4: 1.25GHz, 1.33GHz, 1.42GHz and 1.5GHz)
Mac mini computers have a single memory slot. This slot accepts a standard PC2700 or PC3200 184-pin DIMM with the following specifications:

- PC2700 or PC3200 Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM)
- 2.5 volt
- 8-byte
- non-parity
- 64-bit wide
- 184-pin module
- maximum of 16 memory devices on the DIMM
- unbuffered—do not use registered or buffered SDRAM
- maximum height of 50 mm
Using PC3200 memory does not provide additional speed benefits. Although the Mac mini supports PC3200 DIMMs, the PC3200 RAM will operate at PC2700 (333 MHz) speeds.

Intel-based Mac mini (Core Solo and Duo 1.5GHz, 1.66GHz and 1.83GHz)
The Mac Mini (Early 2006) has two internal SO-DIMM RAM slots. The computer ships from the factory with at least 512 MB of DDR2 SDRAM; one 256 MB SO-DIMM in each slot. (It may come with more RAM installed, depending on how you ordered the computer from Apple—two 512 MB SO-DIMMs for 1GB total, or two 1GB SO-DIMMs for 2GB total).

The maximum amount of SDRAM supported by the Mac mini (Early 2006) is 2GB (one 1GB SO-DIMM in each slot) with the following specifications:

- PC2-5300
- unbuffered
- nonparity
- 200-pin
- 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

DIMMs with the following features are not supported by the Mac mini (Early 2006):

- registers or buffers
- PLLs
- ECC
- parity
- EDO RAM

Intel-based Mac mini (Core Solo, Core Duo and Core 2 Duo 1.5GHz, 1.66GHz, 1.83GHz and 2.0GHz)
The Mac Mini (2006-2008) has two internal SO-DIMM RAM slots. The computer ships from the factory with at least 512 MB of DDR2 SDRAM; one 256 MB SO-DIMM in each slot. (It may come with more RAM installed, depending on how you ordered the computer from Apple—two 512 MB SO-DIMMs for 1GB total, or two 1GB SO-DIMMs for 2GB total).

The maximum amount of SDRAM supported by the Mac mini (Early 2006) is 2GB (one 1GB SO-DIMM in each slot) with the following specifications:

- PC2-5300
- unbuffered
- nonparity
- 200-pin
- 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

DIMMs with the following features are not supported by the Mac mini (Early 2006):

- registers or buffers
- PLLs
- ECC
- parity
- EDO RAM

Mac mini (Early 2009), Mac mini (Late 2009), and Mac mini (Mid 2010) computers have two internal memory slots. These slots accept a standard PC3-8500 DDR3 204-pin SO-DIMMs (Small Outline DIMM) with the following specifications:

- PC3-8500 DDR3
- unbuffered
- non-parity
- 204-pin module
- 1066 MHz

DIMMs with the following features will not work with these Mac mini models:

- registers or buffers
- PLLs
- ECC
- parity
- EDO RAM

Mac mini (Mid 2011) computers have two internal memory slots. These slots accept a standard PC3-10600 DDR3 204-pin SO-DIMMs (Small Outline DIMM) with the following specifications:

- PC3-10600 DDR3
- Unbuffered
- Non-parity
- 204-pin module
- 1333 MHz

You can use RAM module sizes of 1 GB, 2 GB, or 4 GB in each slot.

DIMMs with the following features will not work with these Mac mini models:

- Registers or buffers
- PLLs
- ECC
- Parity
- EDO RAM

Last edited by admin on Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:25 am; edited 3 times in total
unplugged

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac mini: Memory Specifications Reply with quote

will DDR2 PC-5400 work? I'm using PQI in my system and it seems to work okay on my mac mini, but my computer seems to be a big sluggish. I also upgraded to an 80GB 7200 drive and intel core 2 duo 2.0ghz
Zillo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use in my MacMini 1.83Ghz Intel, 2 memory modules from Kingston:

Part#
KTA-MB667K2/1G

Description: 1GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 SODIMM
Detailed Specifications: Standard 128M X 64 Non-ECC 667MHz 200-pin Unbuffered SODIMM (SDRAM-DDR2, 1.8V, CL5)

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/PartsInfo.asp?root=us&LinkBack=http://www.kingston.com&ktcpartno=KVR667D2S5/1G
velocitytrap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corsair Launches Mac Memory DDR2-667 SODIMM Product Family for Apple PCs

Mac Memory Product Features/Specifications:

• DDR2-667 SODIMMs
• 1GB upgrade module and 2GB upgrade kit are compatible with the MacBook, the MacBook Pro, and Intel-based versions of the iMac
• 3GB upgrade kit is compatible with the MacBook Pro, and the models of the iMac supporting 3GB of system memory
• Lifetime warranty
Mercyful_Fate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently upgraded my MacMini G4 1.33 PPC to maximum 1GB DDR RAM.
The memory module I used was SuperTalent 1GB DDR PC3200 with product number D32PB1GJ.
The module has been working excellent for about 10 days since I upgraded, thus I recommend it to other G4 mini users. Smile

p.s.: FYI, I bought it in Greece for 87 Euros, which I consider a very good price (in fact, it's the lowest price you can find for a 1GB DDR module, either PC or MAC), since Apple compatible memories cost here more than 110-115 Euros.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Intel I saw the 1 GB sticks are getting more reasonable priced, but I haven't heard much here about the CL value. The CL5 sticks are mostly cheaper but CL4 is a little faster memory. It's pretty hard to decide though, because there are so many types and price differences AND brands. I used to upgrade my G4 with PQI with a CL of 2.5 but I only see these DDR2 sticks in CL4 and 5. Can anybody shed a little light on this?
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a pair of 1GB SAMSUNG modules in my Mac mini. Samsung is not the cheapest RAM, but its good stuff. Both HP and Sun use Samsung as one of their primary OEMs in their enterprise level servers. Apple uses Samsung for some of their OEM RAM too. If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for me. Generally, most of the HP and Sun servers have either Micron, Samsung, or Infineon RAM or a mix of one or more of them installed. This RAM is not always the fastest available, but it is generally error free and rock solid.

Last edited by bsnoel on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be helpful. Here is an extensive list from Intel for SODIMM memory that they validated to work with their 945 chipsets. The Intel Mac mini uses a version of the Intel 945 mobile chipset. In theory, any one of these part numbers "should" work flawlessly. Of course, you don't have to use this RAM, but if you want to have a little more peace of mind that your are getting the best fit, then ENJOY!

Intel Validated RAM for 945 Mobile Chipset
velocitytrap

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try OMNI too:
http://www.omnitechnologies.biz/cgi-bin/catalog/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F3496715&rnd=5901076&rrc=N&affl=B&cip=&act=&aff=&pg=cat&ref=appledesktopmem&catstr=

they seem to have good prices and apple specific memory
colormetal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

velocitytrap wrote:
You can try OMNI too:
http://www.omnitechnologies.biz/cgi-bin/catalog/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F3496715&rnd=5901076&rrc=N&affl=B&cip=&act=&aff=&pg=cat&ref=appledesktopmem&catstr=

they seem to have good prices and apple specific memory

nice price, just wondering it says that CAS=3, or 2.5 ( for performance stick), is that possible, most of the pc2-5300 is cas4 or cas 5
GrantSymon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the PPC models (1.42 or 1.5) address more than 1gb?

For example, would this fit into a 1.42 PPC Mini ? :

http://www.directron.com/eccreg3332g.html

or even better ... this :

http://tinyurl.com/2bzcuv

Grant
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrantSymon wrote:

The PPC Mac mini's can hold a maximum up to 1GB of RAM. According to Apple.
GrantSymon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
GrantSymon wrote:

The PPC Mac mini's can hold a maximum up to 1GB of RAM. According to Apple.

Yes. But is that because at the time when the specs were written by Apple, 2gb sticks were not available, or is it because the motherboard cannot address 2gb ?

Grant
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrantSymon wrote:
Yes. But is that because at the time when the specs were written by Apple, 2gb sticks were not available, or is it because the motherboard cannot address 2gb ?

Grant

I think it's the motherboard. Have you ever seen anyone with 4GB of memory in their Mac mini? I haven't, and to be safe, I would put in 2GB, the recommended maximum.
GrantSymon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
GrantSymon wrote:

Grant

I think it's the motherboard. Have you ever seen anyone with 4GB of memory in their Mac mini? I haven't, and to be safe, I would put in 2GB, the recommended maximum.

Ehhh ... I was asking about the PPC Mini.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: