123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini: Memory Specifications [U]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wallstreet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacMoreno wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am getting a really good deal on some Corsair RAM for my new 2.0C2D Mini...just wanted to get some feedback on Corsair in terms of quality??

Corsair makes some great stuff...my second fave brand, tied with OCZ, behind Mushkin and ahead of Crucial. I'm running 2 2GB Corsair DIMMs in my '07 Mini for 3GB total with zero problems. Fry's has had 'em on sale for $39 per DIMM after rebate.
Mac Mini Specs: Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz | 4GB Corsair RAM (3GB) | Pioneer K06 Superdrive | Hitachi 7k200/80GB 7200RPM HDD | acomdata 500GB Firewire HDD | WD MyBook 750GB Firewire HDD | RME FireFace 400 Audio | Dell 24" LCD
harley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

i found this at amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/1GBx2-Upgrade-Apple-mini-Intel/dp/B000KBFHMA/ref=pd_sim_pc?ie=UTF8&qid=1080201734&sr=8-1

could this work for upgrading a 1.5 GHz Intel Core solo mac mini (macmini1,1) with 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM to 2 GB of memory?

is crucial a good brand?

your opinion will be very helpful!
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it should. My Crucial 2Gb works just fine.
fhall1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...I've read through this thread and several others on other forums and haven't seen this specific question answered - definitively.

What I've read is that you can upgrade a core 2 duo mini - a mini that "came from the factory" with a core 2 duo CPU to 4G of RAM, although it'll only recognize around 3G of RAM

What I've also read is that a core duo mini can ONLY be upgraded to 2G or RAM (and I know this is true because I've done it).

What I haven't seen posted is definite word from someone who has upgraded their mini from a core duo to a core 2 duo AND then to 4G (or even 3G) of RAM - will a mini that originally housed a core duo CPU be able to recognize 3G of RAM once the CPU is upgraded to a core 2 duo?

OR - does it not really matter on the CPU so much as the date of manufacture of the mini itself and whatever revision of firmware it has from the factory? That is - early core duo minis won't recognize 3G, but later core duo models got the same firmware as core 2 duo models and will recognize 3G....hope this all made sense and I can get an answer from someone who's attempted the CPU and RAM upgrade.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fhall1 wrote:
What I haven't seen posted is definite word from someone who has upgraded their mini from a core duo to a core 2 duo AND then to 4G (or even 3G) of RAM - will a mini that originally housed a core duo CPU be able to recognize 3G of RAM once the CPU is upgraded to a core 2 duo?

No. Apart from the CPU, the hardware in both a CD and a C2D is identical. So the deciding factor for memory capacity appears to be the different EFI/firmware in the C2D Mini. There was some speculation about flashing a CD mobo with the onboard software from a C2D mobo, but I don't think that anyone's managed it.
Martin.nl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
fhall1 wrote:

No. Apart from the CPU, the hardware in both a CD and a C2D is identical. So the deciding factor for memory capacity appears to be the different EFI/firmware in the C2D Mini. There was some speculation about flashing a CD mobo with the onboard software from a C2D mobo, but I don't think that anyone's managed it.

I did memory upgrade today, and it is full 4GB recognized. 2x2GB Corsair memory.

James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin.nl wrote:

I did memory upgrade today, and it is full 4GB recognized. 2x2GB Corsair memory.

snip picture

Yes, but it will USE the last Gig of RAM too?
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin.nl to avoid any confusion with other people reading only the end of this thread can you confirm:

- your mini came with a C2D cpu installed.
- when you add the memory usage in activity monitor it totals to 3GB.

If both the above are true, your setup is normal and expected. Minis which started out with CD cpus can't go beyond 2GB and although "About this Mac" reports 4GB the last 1GB is never used.
donnchadh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this would work in a MacMini intel-based Duo Core 2?

It just came out...and if I understand the press release correctly, its TWO sticks of 2 Gig ram each, for a total of 4 Gigs. I have seen it discounted to $129. Sounds like it is specifically designed for Mac.

Corsair VSA4GSDSKIT667C4 ~ $159.99 USD MSRP

Donnchadh
littlehampel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Only one memory slot working Reply with quote

After an upgrade, I can only get the lower memory slot to work. Here is my question. Can I put a 2GB stick in there to get 2GB for the system or am I limited to only 1GB now? Or, is there anything I can do to test and/or fix the other slot?

(When I install the base 2 256 MB sticks, the system does not boot, but if I
pull the top one, then it boots fine. It does not matter which stick I use, so I
think it is the slot, not the stick. Make sense?)

Thanks,

Marie
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Only one memory slot working Reply with quote

littlehampel wrote:
After an upgrade, I can only get the lower memory slot to work. Here is my question. Can I put a 2GB stick in there to get 2GB for the system or am I limited to only 1GB now? Or, is there anything I can do to test and/or fix the other slot?

(When I install the base 2 256 MB sticks, the system does not boot, but if I
pull the top one, then it boots fine. It does not matter which stick I use, so I
think it is the slot, not the stick. Make sense?)

Thanks,

Marie

Welcome,
First off. We need a little more info to help. Which machine do you own? Second is the machine still under warranty?
limey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded my new 1.83 Core2Duo with 4GB of RAM fresh from NewEgg.

I purchased 2x2GB pieces of G*Skill PC2 5300 for only $73 - although right now it's $71 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231135

Everything works as expected, my hard drive will be here tomorrow, then the Mini can finally be put back together again Very Happy
I4ko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: will this work Reply with quote

I'm planning to get two of these:
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS2GAP667S

however the memory manufacturer says only these
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?exid=1&ItemID=TS1GAP667S will work on mini. This is an oem memory, and I have very good impressions of Transcend for oem memory for cisco, ibm, and other machines.

What would you recommend, to be bold and take the 2x2G or to play it safe and take 2x1G. Will the 2G module work at all, its 128Mx8 and the 1G module is 64Mx8

Kingston also have only 1x1G kit on their site for mac minis

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo.asp?root=&LinkBack=&ktcpartno=KTA-MB667K2/2G

but may sites sell kingston 4g kit for mini
http://www.allmacshop.co.uk/proddetail/35392/Kingston_Technology_4Gb_Memory_Kit_2x2Gb_for_Apple_Mac_Mini_Intel_Mac/

My mini is 2Ghz core 2 duo.

I am not in US and I'll have a friend bring me the memory, so I don't want to buy something that won't work with my mini.

Last edited by I4ko on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason Transcend only recommends the 1GB modules is that Apple's official position on the Mini is that it can only take 2x1GB modules. However, as you've probably seen, the Core 2 Duo Mini can accept 2x2GB modules, though only 3GB will be usable.

Simply stated, Apple officially only recognizes 2x1GB, but unofficially you can use more, however Apple won't support it, and it's entirely possible that the extra memory could be disabled with a future firmware update (though somewhat unlikely).

Many users have been successful installing 2x2GB for a total of 3GB. Personally, I'd do it without concern, as more memory is almost always a good thing, and the prices of memory today is very good.
cj0

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: xbench memory testing results Reply with quote

Five Xbench memory tests were run.
Only highest and lowest values were noted.

Mac mini 2.0Ghz + 4Gb Kingston memory: 131,66 - 133,47
Kingston mem = KTAMB667K2/4G

Mac mini 1.83Ghz + 4Gb OCZ memory: 129,82 - 131,39
OCZ mem = OCZ2MV6674GK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: