123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

buying a new MacBook
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: buying a new MacBook Reply with quote

i posted something on 123macbook.com but never got a response. dont think that site gets enough traffic as this one.

i am wanting to purchase a laptop thatll last me a good 5 to 6 years. and i want a modern one so i wont have to bother with upgrading certain components or having the machine be too slow for certain tasks.

my Mac Mini has been great to me. so im thinking the hell with Dell and get an Apple notebook.

i will be using Microsoft Office and do a bit of multi tasking, having lots of apps open and such. on my Core Solo Mac Mini, it tends to not launch certain apps due to memory constraints or so i believe. (while on XP everything runs great)

will be using Windows XP quite a bit as well, for Cobol and Visual Basics programming.

so id be using XP on it for school and OSX for personal use. like surfing the net , using iCal, iLife, and such. essentially an all purpose laptop.

i have my heart set on a :

MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Black
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
120GB Serial ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
Superdrive 6x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

and my question is:

which is the better way to purchase the MacBook?

there is an Apple Store about 30 minutes away from where i now live.
not sure if its better or if they will have the MacBook with these specs seeing as how it was released not too long ago. i assume that they would have the newer models with those specs in the store. but i dont want to take the chance of them having to order it first. because i am pressed on time.

or if i should order it online. with that im not sure how long shipping will take.

i kinda need the thing right away for school work and to do any software updates and install boot camp and XP Pro on it, and customize it a bit.

my budget is at $2,000
so i dont want to go over that amount.

so should i order online and have the thing shipped to me? or am i able to walk into the Apple Store and walk out with the MacBook(with the specs i want)?

this is my first purchase for a laptop and with Apple (not including iPods). so im not all that knowledgable on how the routine goes with in-store and online-store purchases.

so if anyone would kindly inform me on the details of this.

OS X 10.4.11
offa_broadway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, definitely visit the Apple Store, they are a treat. If you want to upgrade the memory on your MacBook though, it may be a couple of days before they can get it to you.

If your Core Solo Mini has 512Mb of memory, it should still run Office. MS apps are a little sluggish on Intel Macs for now, until MS releases new Universal versions of the software, which should run much faster and not require as much memory. I have a CoreDuo with 512Mb of memory and I can run Office just fine, abeit slowly.

After all the fun times with you Mini, you don't really want a PC do you? Wink The MacBook is the slickest laptop going, except for perhaps the MacBook Pro (big surprise, it's an Apple product!)

MacBook Core2Duo 2.0/1Gb Superdrive
MacMini CoreDuo 1.66/Superdrive - Sold
Logitech Z4-i Sound System
iPod Nano 1Gb, Black
Donut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so ur saying that they wouldnt have a MacBook already packaged with 2GB of memory?

so would i make the purchase and wait for them to have it at the store. or would i pay once they got it in?
which is what im asking really, in that if it would take longer to get it at the store or order it online?

because i dont want to end up wasting gas driving all that way and back and come back with nothing. and then drive over there and back once again.

i have been to that Apple Store once before in early August. and yeah its pretty great. theres alot of systems that you can mess with. that in itself is fun ^_^

my Core Solo Mini has 1GB of memory and a DVD burner.
and yeah office apps run a bit slow. but not just with that, other apps as well. dont seem to launch if i have certain things running. i mean Word wouldnt launch if i access Dashboard for the first time. the icon appears in the dock, bounces a bit, then dissapears. same thing happened with an HP installer that came with my printer. it wouldnt run. i had to restart my Mini and not do anything else and have the installer be the first thing that i run.

well i mostly run XP on my Mini, because for one it runs great. never gave me problems or lag.
and alot of the software i use isnt on OSX or its just not up to par with the Windows version. so i use XP for certain tasks and for school work.
but OSX is really growing on me. i think if i kept XP on my Mini as my main system and used OSX on the MacBook. that id slowly enjoy OSX more for doing everything else outside of XP.

i kinda gave up on PCs. i mean i own a Dell Dimension that ive constantly upgraded little by little, just to keep it up to standards haha. right now im running OSX on it. and its just really sluggish and makes too much noise.
ive become disatisfied with Dell ,and never bothered with Gateway or Compaq and such.

love my Mac Mini and iPod Nano. so im definately an Apple fan for the hardware alone. i know a couple of people who have old Macs from back in 2001 and still use them now and they work just fine as the day they bought them. not once have their Macs ever broken down. and thats what i want. i want a laptop that will last me several years. where the only thing ill need to replace is the battery.

and OSX is starting to grow on me. i mean its fun to use. a bit of a let down at times. seeing as how i just get around to doing things faster and easier on XP. once i get the MacBook, OSX will be what i will use the majority of the time.

offa_broadway wrote:
If you can, definitely visit the Apple Store, they are a treat. If you want to upgrade the memory on your MacBook though, it may be a couple of days before they can get it to you.

If your Core Solo Mini has 512Mb of memory, it should still run Office. MS apps are a little sluggish on Intel Macs for now, until MS releases new Universal versions of the software, which should run much faster and not require as much memory. I have a CoreDuo with 512Mb of memory and I can run Office just fine, abeit slowly.

After all the fun times with you Mini, you don't really want a PC do you? Wink The MacBook is the slickest laptop going, except for perhaps the MacBook Pro (big surprise, it's an Apple product!)

OS X 10.4.11
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Apple Store vs online Reply with quote

My experience with the Apple Store when I bought my Mini was that memory above the standard configuration would be more than if I had bought it online from Apple as build-to-order because they would charge me for the standard configuration, then charge full price for the memory upgrade, $200 for 1 GB instead of the $100 for build-to-order. That's because I would end up with both memory modules. You need to make sure you know what, exactly, you are getting and what you are being charged for it. I would buy it built-to-order from Apple online and wait for it, myself. If I needed it right away, I would get the standard configuration (1GB memory) from the Apple Store and do a memory upgrade at some later time if necessary, unless they would do the upgrade for the same price as build-to-order.

By the way, you are paying a hefty premium for a black case. I would want black also, but it shouldn't cost so much.
Donut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Store vs online Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
My experience with the Apple Store when I bought my Mini was that memory above the standard configuration would be more than if I had bought it online from Apple as build-to-order because they would charge me for the standard configuration, then charge full price for the memory upgrade, $200 for 1 GB instead of the $100 for build-to-order. That's because I would end up with both memory modules. You need to make sure you know what, exactly, you are getting and what you are being charged for it. I would buy it built-to-order from Apple online and wait for it, myself. If I needed it right away, I would get the standard configuration (1GB memory) from the Apple Store and do a memory upgrade at some later time if necessary, unless they would do the upgrade for the same price as build-to-order.

By the way, you are paying a hefty premium for a black case. I would want black also, but it shouldn't cost so much.

how long would the shipping take?
i would like to get the MacBook before Thanksgiving Day.

yeah costs a hell of a lot more just cause its black. but well i prefer black over white. and this is gonna be my laptop for a great long time. so i want to get it the way i want it. and not settle for something less.

OS X 10.4.11
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Store vs online Reply with quote

Donut wrote:

yeah costs a hell of a lot more just cause its black. but well i prefer black over white. and this is gonna be my laptop for a great long time. so i want to get it the way i want it. and not settle for something less.

I don't know how long build-to-order takes, but somebody on the MacBook site must have some recent experience with that. Thanksgiving is only eight calendar days away. I wouldn't bet on that. Since this is a long term investment, I would just get along without it a little bit longer.

Did the Apple Store tell you what it would cost if they do the memory upgrade?
Donut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Store vs online Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
Donut wrote:

I don't know how long build-to-order takes, but somebody on the MacBook site must have some recent experience with that. Thanksgiving is only eight calendar days away. I wouldn't bet on that. Since this is a long term investment, I would just get along without it a little bit longer.

Did the Apple Store tell you what it would cost if they do the memory upgrade?

then i guess ill just get it at the store. cause the sooner the better. i mean i hope to get the thing before this week ends. at most before Thanksgiving Day. cause im gonna travel back home to spend the weekend at my parent's home. and i wanted the MacBook , so i could take that with me. instead of my Mini, Monitor, keyboard,mouse, and the big weight of cables.

i havent been to the Apple store yet. thats why i was asking about that here. because its a 30 minute drive. and only time i have to drive to the store is maybe on a friday.

i planned on printing out what i have saved in my shopping cart from the online store. and see what they tell me when i show it to them and say this is what i want.

if i were to purchase more memory like lets say sometime next year. am i able to purchase the memory and install it myself, or would i have to bring it to the apple store and have them install the memory?

OS X 10.4.11
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd budget for the Apple care if you are looking into long term happiness with your new Macbook.
Donut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
I'd budget for the Apple care if you are looking into long term happiness with your new Macbook.

nah thats too much money right there.
if whatever i get along with the MacBook comes out to over $2,000, then i just wont bother.

cause i want the thing right away. cause ive already been screwed out of alot of stuff schoolwise because i dont have a laptop.
for running XP 1GB is fine, but id need 2GB for OSX. cause its frustrating how that OS drags because it uses up memory so quickly.

OS X 10.4.11
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, assuming your configuration is "right" I'd order it from the online Apple Store with the memory upgrade CTO. As others have said, doing a CTO at the local Apple Store will cost more, because you keep the original memory, so unless you have a good use for that it's just extra cost. You could buy and install your own RAM, but again you get the original RAM to keep, and while installing RAM isn't "hard" it's not what I'd call "easy" either.

When I bought my (Core Duo) MacBook I thought I'd be okay with the then-standard 512 MB of RAM. I was, given my workload, until I wanted to run Parallels. I did my own upgrade to 1 GB, and as I say it's neither "hard" nor "easy". If I knew in advance that I wanted the extra RAM, I'd have CTO-ed, even though I saved $150 (about the cost of the RAM upgrade) buying from Amazon.com instead of the Apple Store. When I bought my Mini, I CTO-ed to 1 GB from the online Apple Store, for precisely these reasons.

Doug
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have to do is configure a MacBook and it will tell you how long for shipping. When I did the configuration, it still said ship in 1-3 days. My experience is that Apple ships ASAP. If you can't wait for standard shipping, you can always pay the extra money for express 2nd day air or overnight shipping. It will definitely be cheaper than buying it from the Apple Store and having them do upgrades.

BTW, a black MacBook only has a $50 premium over a white MacBook. The premium changed with the upgraded version. Before, when it was a Core Duo machine, the premium was $200. But if you customize the mid-level MacBook (white) to the same specs as a black MacBook, there is only a difference of $50, no big deal.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, BTW...

You should purchase your Mac through the Educational Apple Store website. You will save money, which in turn, that could be used for more upgrades. Like a bigger hard drive and more accessories (extra battery, notebook case, etc.).

Educational store..

black MacBook
2.0 Core 2 Duo
2GB
160GB hard drive
Superdrive 6x
$1,646 (before tax and any expedited shipping charges)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Eldred wrote:
Personally, assuming your configuration is "right" I'd order it from the online Apple Store with the memory upgrade CTO. As others have said, doing a CTO at the local Apple Store will cost more, because you keep the original memory, so unless you have a good use for that it's just extra cost. You could buy and install your own RAM, but again you get the original RAM to keep, and while installing RAM isn't "hard" it's not what I'd call "easy" either.

When I bought my (Core Duo) MacBook I thought I'd be okay with the then-standard 512 MB of RAM. I was, given my workload, until I wanted to run Parallels. I did my own upgrade to 1 GB, and as I say it's neither "hard" nor "easy". If I knew in advance that I wanted the extra RAM, I'd have CTO-ed, even though I saved $150 (about the cost of the RAM upgrade) buying from Amazon.com instead of the Apple Store. When I bought my Mini, I CTO-ed to 1 GB from the online Apple Store, for precisely these reasons.

i suppose i could just sell the extra memory on eBay and get my money back that way. cause my Mini has 2 512MB chips. so i couldnt use it that way.

point of the matter is, that i want the thing right away. i would rather pay a little extra later and have the thing in my posession now and be able to use it over the weekend and the coming school days before thanksgiving break.

than to be waiting in anticipation and be without the use of a portable computer.

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Oh yeah, BTW...

You should purchase your Mac through the Educational Apple Store website. You will save money, which in turn, that could be used for more upgrades. Like a bigger hard drive and more accessories (extra battery, notebook case, etc.).

Educational store..

black MacBook
2.0 Core 2 Duo
2GB
160GB hard drive
Superdrive 6x
$1,646 (before tax and any expedited shipping charges)

I dont care for a bigger harddrive, cause i wont be saving anything on it other than documents and small sized things.

when i use the education discount the total plus tax comes out to $1,682.43

i dont see any option for changing the shipping. it just says FREE SHIPPING

If i go for the 'express 2nd day air or overnight shipping' does that mean the day after i order it, itll take 2 days to arrive?

i imagine itd take a good while for them to process my order and then ship it out.

if i can get it before thanksgiving day or that wednesday. then i will choose this option. if not, then i guess ill just go to the Apple store and hope they have a 1GB MacBook Core 2 Duo that i can purchase right then and there.

and then later on when i have free time. possibly when school finishes for the semester. i will get that extra gig installed.

Quote:

BTW, a black MacBook only has a $50 premium over a white MacBook. The premium changed with the upgraded version. Before, when it was a Core Duo machine, the premium was $200. But if you customize the mid-level MacBook (white) to the same specs as a black MacBook, there is only a difference of $50, no big deal.

wouldnt matter to me, cause i want the thing in black. the white one could probably have better specs, but i wouldnt even consider it, cause i want the thing in black.

i suppose ill just go to the Apple Store and see what they will do.
though surely once im there, im gonna want to be able to go home with the MacBook.

sure if i order it online ill save some money, but its sort of an urgent thing that i am able to use the thing as soon as possible. would make things go smoother for me at school, with projects and such.

i have $2,000 to spend. so i figure as long as i dont go over the $2,000 mark. then its ok. because i wont spend the money on anything else. ill just save it and try to regain that amount over time.
dont intend on buying anything else from Apple or computer-related.
this is it for me until i graduate from school and get a good job.

OS X 10.4.11
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience from ordering from the Apple Store's website, everything is usually shipped next day. Which if you did order it today. It would ship on Friday, if you did 2nd day air... it probably arrive Tuesday.

Though an educational order might take a day longer. My old company ordered an iMac Core 2 Duo, did the free shipping, that takes forever.

I'd rather pay for the shipping to receive it faster.

If you buy it from a physical store, you will still be within your budget. You will just have extra parts hangin' around. Not that it is hard to upgrade the MacBook.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
My experience from ordering from the Apple Store's website, everything is usually shipped next day. Which if you did order it today. It would ship on Friday, if you did 2nd day air... it probably arrive Tuesday.

Though an educational order might take a day longer. My old company ordered an iMac Core 2 Duo, did the free shipping, that takes forever.

I'd rather pay for the shipping to receive it faster.

If you buy it from a physical store, you will still be within your budget. You will just have extra parts hangin' around. Not that it is hard to upgrade the MacBook.

oh!
well that clears things up a bit.

guess ill try at the actual store and see what happens. if things dont go my way. ill just order it online and pay for the extra shipping.

ive seen a video of upgrading the memory and harddrive on a MacBook. it doesnt look hard at all.

OS X 10.4.11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: