123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Folding@Home
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Folding@Home Reply with quote

Anybody fold, I was just wondering because im folding you can sure hear the mini it doesn't bother me much though. I also fold 24/7 and it doesn't seem to do much to my internet speeds my parents or sister haven't yet complained about the internet being slow.
treadlightly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I fold (see that sig? Very Happy ). Your internet connection shouldn't be affected because it only connects when you finish one unit and upload a new one, so your internet connection is only used for a couple of minutes at a time, usually once every day or two (or more on a slow machine). I fold on a G4 mini (among others), and I never hear the fans. I'd guess that an Intel mini may be different due to the processor running a bit warmer.

FOLD ON!!
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind that was the dvd drive i was hearing, also i used fancontrol which made my fan louder.
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without fancontrol my mini's temp is 81 degree's celcius and no noise, with fancontrol my mini's temp is around 60 degrees celcius with alot of noise.
mr_ben

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK dim time, what the blue blazes are you lot going on about?!?! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Oh dear I'm hooked haha Embarassed
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were folding@home for the stanford university.
mr_ben

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that explanation meant loads Rolling Eyes

Now can I have a one that means something Smile

treadlightly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanford U. has a distributed program that studies how proteins fold and mis-fold. Mis-folding proteins play a role in various diseases such as Parkinson's, Huntington's, Alzheimers, HIV/AIDS, and some form of cancers (among others). Instead of building a supercomputer to do computations for their study, they set up a distributed computing program so that anyone can download their software and run the computations for them in the background. This has resulted in computations being done many times faster than they could have been done on any single supercomputer. Since protein folding isn't really a hot topic of discussion they set it up with points and teams to fuel people's competitive spirits. There are probably over 1,000 teams ranging from a single person on a team to hundreds of people on a single team. The project has yielded forty published papers in various scientific journals and is considered the most successful distributed computing program available based on the scientific results.

I'm not sure which team Futa-Mill is on, but I fold for [url=http://www.teammacosx.com]Team Mac OS X[/url], which is currently the #11 team in the project and the top ranked Mac team. We also happen to be the top ranked team that is not affiliated with a club, magazine, etc. of any type; we exist simply to promote Folding and Macs. You can read more about it at the Team site I linked to above or at [url=http://folding.stanford.edu]Stanford's site[/url].
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also fold for Team Mac OS X.
K.C.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm folding for Team Mac OS X too.

I keep wondering if I should be booted into XP on my Intel iMacs and Minis and fold using the clients there.
mr_ben

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks treadlightly

I used to do it when I had a PC thru another website, it's not a strange concept to me using other machines background processing capabilites to forward the advancements of medical science.

We just didn't call it folding Laughing

treadlightly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other programs out there, seti@home is the best known, I just can't justify using the resources to find extraterrestrials when there's so much here on earth that they can be used for. Wink

@Futa-Mill: sorry, I did a search by your username here, that's why I didn't know. THANKS to you and K.C.!! Cool
treadlightly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those Folding with an Intel Mac, Stanford has now released [url=http://teammacosx.homeunix.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.pl?s=1ea4d57ab0bc412550c05f290c76d4f9;act=ST;f=57;t=2656;]the new high-performance SMP client for Mac OS X and Linux[/url]. Yes, this client is only available for OS X and Linux!! Windows users get to sit back and watch the rest of the world have fun!! Cool
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you install this it is so confusing?
K.C.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the .tar from [url]http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html[/url]

Double-click to expand.

Open the folder and drag mpiexec to ~/library/folding@home

Then double click fah5 and key in your preferences for running it.

That's all there is to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: