123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Copying a movie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Copying a movie Reply with quote

If I want to make Personal Backups of movies. Disney and the like. How do I do it on my mini? Someone told me popcorn was the way to go. But popcorn says on the box that it does not copy copyprotected stuff.

I just dont want my 5yo to break his disney movies. I just lost, a big crack, my Sims game due to litlle fingers.

What would be the best software to do this with a dual layer drive?
leftplay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not going to find software for pirating copyright protect DVDs easily. The software that breaks the encryption does exist and floats around but I don't know a website that hosts it because of possible litigation.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leftplay wrote:
You're not going to find software for pirating copyright protect DVDs easily. The software that breaks the encryption does exist and floats around but I don't know a website that hosts it because of possible litigation.

How easily we all give up our rights. Free Use allows me, you, everyone to make copies of material we own the rights to use. This means I can copy a book, a CD or a movie.

It does not give you distribution rights. I cant copy a book and give it to a friend. Can I loan them the original book? Yes. Same rules apply to DVD.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about something like this?

http://www.fastdvdcopy.com/
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
leftplay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjamini wrote:
leftplay wrote:

How easily we all give up our rights. Free Use allows me, you, everyone to make copies of material we own the rights to use. This means I can copy a book, a CD or a movie.

It does not give you distribution rights. I cant copy a book and give it to a friend. Can I loan them the original book? Yes. Same rules apply to DVD.

Not to get into a legal wrangle but if you're referring to the precept of "Fair use" it really doesn't apply. A purchaser of a product that has copyright protection does not "own" the rights. Copyright laws are intended to protect the creation and reproduction of creative works not it's distribution - thus if you buy a book you can lend it or sell it as you please, however it does not allow for unlicensed reproduction outside the scope of "Fair use".

I'm not saying that making a copy of a CD or DVD for personal use is wrong. However, if such activities impedes upon the fair commerce of that product, pirated music and movies stealing sales from the owner as an example, there is real cause for concern. But that's just this man's opinion.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks exactly like what I want, but, kinda pricy at $100. Any other suggestions?

Leftplay - you are right - but fair use does extend to copy protected material where its for one owns use.
wyzard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Mac The Ripper???
jase

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, regardless of the finer legal details, I make backup copies of my DVD movies. It lets me store the originals safely away from the destructive hands of my nephew, and soon my own child. I would certainly never accidentally drop a disc myself, though. Smile If a backup gets damaged, I can burn another copy from the original.

If my practice is illegal, then I'll just have to stop purchasing DVDs until there are no more children in the house, and I stop being clumsy.

At any rate, I've had good luck with the combo of MacTheRipper and Popcorn. Rip it with MTR, and then encode and burn with Popcorn. It's two steps, but it's not exactly hard. Everything I've backed up as worked just fine so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: