123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMac intel hdd upgrade, anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: iMac intel hdd upgrade, anyone? Reply with quote

I have a iMac 17" intel core duo with a 160gb hdd. I want the new 750gb hdd from www.macsales.com. Has anyone upgraded a hdd in one? If so, is it true that you have to go through the front of the machine rather than the back like in the iMac G5? Any insight would be outa sight.

thx.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to go through the front.

http://home.comcast.net/~woojo/DFFA53A0-F23D-4541-9015-481FD3B6532E/iMac_Disassembly.html

My friend (not in the link above) did his a while back. He said it wasn't an easy task or for the faint of heart.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, that's what I thought. Shouldn't be to bad though. I've worked on a lot of different machines before. Thanks for the insight though.

Hackersmovie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Cool, that's what I thought. Shouldn't be to bad though. I've worked on a lot of different machines before. Thanks for the insight though.

Hackersmovie

You should be fine. I wasn't sure how much experience you had. It would be a little more challenging upgrade for a newbie.

I would also try searching around for an iMac service manual. That might help you out if you get stuck.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually just found one! It's 1.19gb though! It is the actual service manual for Apple Technicians, that should do it. I am new to this forum, should I/Can I post the manual once I have it?

Thanks,

Hackersmovie
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The March issue of Mac/Life, formerly MacAddict, has a step-by-step article on swapping out processor on an iMac, looking at the pictures, the HD is there, so to replace the HD, you probably have to crack it open the same way. Check it out, there are pictures and the article also warns you of what to be careful of when you are in there. In fact, one of the things that they tell you could happen did happen when they were doing the upgrade and they had to make a permanent connection out of a plug once the plug was damaged in the upgrade. I've been inside quite a few Macs, including the tray loading 333 imac among others, but looking at the pictures, I'm not sure I'd want to do it. That's not saying that someone else shouldn't do it, just that I probably wouldn't. Take a look at that issue if you can.[/i]
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: