123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project: Mac mini Cube
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hsus2k

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: So, do you have two Power supplies for this cube? Reply with quote

sorry, dulplicate post..............

Last edited by hsus2k on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
hsus2k

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: So, do you have two Power supplies for this cube? Reply with quote

Hi khisayruou,
I'm sort of late on this plus I'm new to Mac and would like build one of this Mini/Cube.

The mod was great, but since I'm new to Mac; I have few question on the Power source.

I guess you have two power sources? One for the original Mac min and the other for the 3.5 drive (using the G4 Cube external power supply?)
Did you still hooked up with Apple Cube G4 Board DC to DC to drop the 28 V to 12V, 3V and 3.3V?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm going one step further to add muitliple HDs (Possibaly 4 2.5 SATA HDs, might go into SSD later) trying to set up a RAID system with a HPM (Hardware port multipler, which will also need power to run!)

So, in summary on your system:
1) you have mac mini power supply hooked up to the mini which powered the Motherboard in mini, and the large CPU fan?

2) The second power supply powered the 3.5 SATA HD and the DVD drive?

3) Do you have the "Apple Cube G4 Board DC to DC" attached to the second power supply? and this power supply is for the G4 Cube unit?

4) I assume that the sensor button is hooked up to both power supplies?

And finally, what are the Coxial connetors for? and what are they hooked up to?

Thanks!

Dennis[/b]
khisayruou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: So, do you have two Power supplies for this cube? Reply with quote

Hey hsus2k! I was surprised to see this thread back!

Yea, it uses two power sources. One is the original external brick from the mac mini and the other is a power supply pulled from a 3.5" external enclosure. The mod does not use any power sources from the original g4 cube.

Quote:
1) you have mac mini power supply hooked up to the mini which powered the Motherboard in mini, and the large CPU fan?
correct

Quote:
2) The second power supply powered the 3.5 SATA HD and the DVD drive?
correct

Quote:
3) Do you have the "Apple Cube G4 Board DC to DC" attached to the second power supply? and this power supply is for the G4 Cube unit?
see comment above

Quote:
4) I assume that the sensor button is hooked up to both power supplies?
Its only hooked up to the external power source

Quote:
And finally, what are the Coxial connetors for? and what are they hooked up to?
My original design was to modify and build in a tv tuner but then elgato came out with a small external device so I scratched the idea.

Happy modding, your mod sounds sweet. Im sure it will run much cooler as well. If you need more power you can always draw it from the USB ports.
hsus2k

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khisayruou,

Thank you for your prompt answers, now makes a lot clear to me. I still prefer one on/off switch. (for dual power supplies)

I know I had pulled this old thread from long ago, but the G4 Cube looks fantastic! Especially your Mod with the Mini! I love it.

If my internal Raid system work (Runing to issues right now) I'll need to hide all those HDs and additional parts (which I know they will not fit into the original Mini) So, I figure the G4 Cube Case is the Best way to go, instead of hook up to a External RAID case.

Thank you for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: