123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project: Mac mini Cube
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me3d

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I'm sorry for the noob question. What powers the 3.5" drive? I see the power supply from an external drive, but where does that tap into?
khisayruou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me3d wrote:
Hello everyone! I'm sorry for the noob question. What powers the 3.5" drive? I see the power supply from an external drive, but where does that tap into?

The 3.5" sata drive is powered by the power supply which was pulled from an external drive and the power supply is of course plugged into the wall.
Me3d

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khisayruou wrote:
Me3d wrote:

The 3.5" sata drive is powered by the power supply which was pulled from an external drive and the power supply is of course plugged into the wall.

Ok, so the power supply is tapped into the Cube's old AC port at the bottom, then to the wall. The power switch turns both of them on. I get it now. I just couldn't picture what was going on. It's a shame the Mac mini doesn't have enough output to power the larger drive. That would make a mod like this a lot easier.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khisayruou wrote:
Me3d wrote:

khisayruou where did you get the DVD drive to IDE adapter and what model is it? I'm thinking of starting a project like this with one of these, and building a little custom metal frame to hold everything together. I just got done with a Core 2 Duo upgrade and I'm bored. Laughing
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
khisayruou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
khisayruou where did you get the DVD drive to IDE adapter and what model is it? I'm thinking of starting a project like this with one of these, and building a little custom metal frame to hold everything together. I just got done with a Core 2 Duo upgrade and I'm bored. Laughing

Its a "notebook slimline dvd drive to ide adapter", I don't know what model it is. I believe I purchased it from mp3car.com, but I can't seem to find it on their store right now. Just do a search on any search engine or look for any mini-itx store. Looking forward to your mods, that enclosure will have plenty of room for some cool things.
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony, Great Job! I'm glad that I was a part/help in your project. You did a really good job fitting everything in so neatly. I'm wondering tho if there is room in the case for a second slim DVD drive?

@edelmac the adapter/cable I supplied Anthony to convert the jae50 connector from the riser board to ide will allow you to connect a 5.25" cd/dvd drive.

Serpent
offa_broadway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a truly amazing case mod. You didn't just hack away at the Cube to fit the Mini inside, or hack the Mini to pieces, to the same ends.

I want one.

MacBook Core2Duo 2.0/1Gb Superdrive
MacMini CoreDuo 1.66/Superdrive - Sold
Logitech Z4-i Sound System
iPod Nano 1Gb, Black
griffga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Problem with G4 Cube Power Button Reply with quote

Dear Everyone,

First I want to say, excellent work! Second, I have been inspired to create a similar modification creating a Core 2 Duo Intel machine out of a G4 Cube case using the Mini-ITX form factor. The only problem I see in my build layout is the pesky power button. I was wondering does anyone know, possibly the creator of this mod, if I can use the original power button here:

http://www.welovemacs.com/cp19.html

to turn on the cube? I am assuming the power button plugs into the motherboard like a standard PC power button? Perhaps I just might have to cut off that single connector and wire each wire individually. If anyone else has experience with this I would appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Chris
khisayruou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi griffga,

The original power button has a special connector only found on the original cube. It is not a standard power button. To think of it, I never tried cutting off the connector to see what happens if there was power going through it. If you try it let us know the results.
griffga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Power Button Reply with quote

Dear khisayruou,

Thanks so much for responding. I am really in the dark about how to possibly wire this thing up to use the original touch sensitive power switch. I saw a post here:
http://www.cubeowner.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2209
where the power switch is shown with its 4 black wires. I think I am having trouble understanding where the wires go. Am I correct in thinking that 2 will go to the Power_LED pins on the motherboard? The last 2 then should go to the Power_Switch pins. I also saw in your modification that you mentioned something about having to connect a wire to an electrode in the case somewhere? I am assuming this was just a piece of metal for circuit closure? The question I think I have is that if I can cut these 4 wires loose from the connector at the end...where do they go? Forgive me but, I am also wondering if that board in the screenshot is even needed? I assumed it was seeing as it might be a similar circuit board to the one you hand created. I also called Digikey corporation myself and spoke with an engineer there. He said that they didn't carry that type of touch sensitive switch. If all else fails and I wasted $40 on buying the original switch, I would love to know how you made yours. I took a look at that diagram for the Q110 switch and couldn't really discern which actual parts to buy and how exactly to assemble it. Indeed, I need to get a certification in electrical circuit building.
khisayruou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if those wires corresponds to ones that are on pcs.

On my mod, my electrode is the little circular metal piece that is located on the top of the cube, its for the screw to be held into place so the inner metal casing doesn't fall out. The electrode is the touch sensitive portion of the circuit.

On apple's original, the entire board is needed as the electrode sits on top of it.

Go to quantum (www.qprox.com) for a list of their latest or give digikey a call again, they should have a list of part numbers that replaced the one I used. If you want to make one just pm me, but keep in mind, its going to be hard if if not impossible to place the electrode in the original location.
fishdaddyz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: dvd drive cable Reply with quote

Killer mod! I'm attempting to do my own, I'm almost there however, I have a question. Where did you get the cable to connect the dvd drive to the ide adapter? I've looked everywhere and I don't have the skill to create my own.

Thanks
khisayruou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fishdaddyz!

The cable was made by serpent, a member on this forum. Just give him a pm about getting one. Good luck with the project and keep us updated!
aprilfools1993

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khisayruou wrote:
Hi griffga,

The original power button has a special connector only found on the original cube. It is not a standard power button. To think of it, I never tried cutting off the connector to see what happens if there was power going through it. If you try it let us know the results.

I had an extra mac mini power button chord lying around and I cut it and attached it to a power switch chord in a PC case with some electrical tape, pushed the button, and low and behold, it worked!

If you don't want to cut the chord on the Cube, try sticking the metal from the wiring of the cut mini chords into the plugs of the cube power button chord. (run on, I know but its 3 am here in Turkey) It worked for me!

Very Happy
lynx1981

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a fantastic mod!!

i am thinking of a macbook-cube marriage.... Cool .....because of a better performance with "plex"

would that fit in a cube ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: