123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macessity intros Stack On Mi for Mac mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Macessity intros Stack On Mi for Mac mini Reply with quote

Macessity intros Stack On Mi for Mac mini
Monday, October 16, 2006

Macessity today introduced Stack On Mi, an aluminum color self-powered USB2.0 Hub for the Mac Mini. According to the company, "If you want to show off your gorgeous Mac Mini right on your desk top, with or without a third party hard drive, Stack On Mi is right for you. Four-port front access, self powered USB2.0 hub with the design and color to match your Mac Mini and other popular Mac Mini enclosures, Stack On Mi allows you to stack and organize your desk top like no other hub. So, go ahead and show off your Mac Mini, Stack On Mi will take it to a new level, literally." The Stack On Mi is available today and priced at $29.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/544.html
Texark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way this looks, even though it looks like you can see all the bends in the metal. It also has more ports on the front than that white Belkin one. I might go ahead and buy one for my G4. The price seems reasonable too.
heulenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reasonable Price? Reply with quote

Its amazing how little $30 will get you. Its a USB hub on a folded peice of aluminum. Given that the article says its "aluminum colored," it may not even be aluminum but plastic. I'm just not impressed.
danrel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of this hub. It looks nice and it also raises the Mac mini up leaving a lot of space for airflow underneath to help keep the mini cooler. It would be nice though if they had thought to put a fan in the empty space and some small vents on the back that mimmick the vent on the back of the mini.

MacBook Pro C2D(Penryn) 2.5GHz/ 4GB/ 250GB
Mac mini C2D 1.83GHz/ 2GB/ 80GB
eMac G4 1GHz/ 384MB/ 40GB/ AE
Airport Extreme 802.11 Draft N router
iPod Touch 8GB
G-Tech 320GB FW800/400 external drive
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap yes, but tacky and if i was a $500 aesthetic wonder of a computer i would rather fall off my desk than sit atop this garbage.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer that it be made out of metal too. The design looks a little unfinished, but it might have some benefits for cooling. I've had the Belkin hub for Mac mini for a while and it's been a solid product. My only complaint is that it makes a high-pitched noise when something is connected to it with firewire. That being said, I wouldn't mind it having more ports on the front like this one has.
iLife's a Bitch!
allinamini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I would prefer that it be made out of metal too.

According to the website, it is made out of steel.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allinamini wrote:
g5g5 wrote:
I would prefer that it be made out of metal too.

According to the website, it is made out of steel.

I assumed by heulenwolf's comment that it wasn't made clear.

Nice to hear it's made out of steel. Very Happy
iLife's a Bitch!
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I object to have many ports on the front, I'd like to have one or two on the front, or even better a firewire + an usb POWERED hub with everything at the back. (mainly 1 of each on the front for temporary access) Actually I don't like what LaCie does either, to stick everything in the sides, that must look rediculous just as having all your USB cables in the front. Momentarily I own a MiniStack V2 with 2 side ports and the rest on the rear, but one cannot trust the (powered) firewire hub while trying to burn a 16 X DVD trough the hub with a external DVD burner at all. (Spilled a couple of good discs), but perhaps it had to do with the fact that I had a boot partition on the HD also running, trough which I burned the DVD...
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though it does have added cooling benefits by not having a closed top or bottom. It still doesn't look like a finished product, but more of a personal modification made by an amateur. I'm just being honest here.
The color of this thing has a little bit more of a silver hue over the Mini. I just think it would be nice if it was more than just a USB hub. Otherwise it just looks like a waste of space underneath of a Mini. (since the thing is hallow)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the total available current for the 4 USB ports is only 1A!!! that's not enough, it should be 2A (500ma for each port).
Good idea but the product looks unfinished, ports are better at the back.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
It still doesn't look like a finished product, but more of a personal modification made by an amateur. I'm just being honest here.

Wish I had the skills to build something like that Wink

Bending steel is no easy task, but I hear what you're saying. It really doesn't look like a finished product. A solid top probably would've made it look more polished. I hope there are pads on the bottom to prevent this thing from sliding around or scratching your desk. Steel against wood is never a good thing.
iLife's a Bitch!
Quantum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always try this cool metal hub http://www.trust.com/products/productpics.aspx?artnr=13963, just add a external power supply: 5V, 2 to 2.5A: cost only £8 in UK; external PSU around £5
RickB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of like the design, but I don't think my LaCie mini would sit on it properly because of the location its footpads. They sit on the corners.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
You can always try this cool metal hub http://www.trust.com/products/productpics.aspx?artnr=13963, just add a external power supply: 5V, 2 to 2.5A: cost only £8 in UK; external PSU around £5

Looks cool enough, but I don't trust TRUST Laughing Once had a Trust USB+ Firewire hub but the Firewire hub DID NOT WORK ON OSX! I have my old D-link which does not look modern or what ever anymore and stuck it with double padding tape on the back of my TFT! That's the best place to have a hub out of sight!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: