123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

about to switch to a MAC mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: about to switch to a MAC mini Reply with quote

I have been a long time Dell XP user and want to switch to a Mac Mini.

All I use the computer for is Storing photos, basic photo editing, Itunes, MSN (will use aMSN), Open office and Internet surfing.

will i notice much difference between 1.66 and 1.83

also should i get the gig of Ram over the 512
Drgonzo2k2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's all your going to use your mini for, you should be fine with the 1.66, but you should definitely get at least 1 GB of RAM. Also keep in mind that while you can upgrade the mini down the line, it is really tight in there. I've been building PCs for 10 years or so, and I found working on the mini to be somewhat daunting. So, if you can afford it, and don't like working on your own computers, or are scared off by cramped spaces, I'd reccomend getting the high end mini with 2 GBs of RAM.
ranger1021

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, welcome to the world of Mac Laughing and the forums.

I would agree with Drgonzo2k2 that the 1.66 verson should work fine for you, but definitely upgrade to 1 gig of RAM. You will really feel the difference. But for now, if what you listed is pretty much all you do (little bits of computer gaming are fine too, if you just need a break), the high end shouldn't be needed.
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: about to switch to a MAC mini Reply with quote

RDB wrote:
All I use the computer for is Storing photos, basic photo editing, Itunes, MSN (will use aMSN), Open office and Internet surfing.

Get the 1Gb. 512Mb will handle what you want to do but as soon as you're doing it all at once you'll find OS X is swapping to disc. 1Gb will be fine and if you decide to do any iMovie editing you'd definitely notice the difference.

You won't notice any difference between the two processors. Welcome to the forum.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
ranger1021

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: about to switch to a MAC mini Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
RDB wrote:

Get the 1Gb. 512Mb will handle what you want to do but as soon as you're doing it all at once you'll find OS X is swapping to disc. 1Gb will be fine and if you decide to do any iMovie editing you'd definitely notice the difference.

You won't notice any difference between the two processors. Welcome to the forum.

A fun (if bad for the computer) way to test at stores how much memory you need is to find 2 computers of the same kind with different amounts of RAM, and open up all the dock items at the same time Laughing
Fun for you, bad for the computers
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on getting Leopard, get 1GB. Heck I'd say run 1GB on OS X period.

Everyone is correct, you won't notice the difference between 1.66 and 1.83. The only question is... do you want a stock DVD writer or just a combo drive. As that 1.66 comes with only a combo and no SuperDrive option. And the 1.83 is the same, but in reverse.
Drgonzo2k2 wrote:
I've been building PCs for 10 years or so, and I found working on the mini to be somewhat daunting.
As long as you get the videos, or find the Mac Mini service manual (I have one for my G4 Mini), or find a good step-by-step how-to.. it isn't so bad.

I've been using computers for a while. But the G4 Mini was actually my first computer I jumped into and upgraded. It was a little intimidating at first, but get the right tools and good instructions, you will be fine.

If you do it yourself, get magnetized precision screw drivers! If you can't find them, you can get a magnet from Home Depot or any other hardware store that will magnetize the tips for you.
It just makes it that much more easier with the screws.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Drgonzo2k2 wrote:
I've been building PCs for 10 years or so, and I found working on the mini to be somewhat daunting.
As long as you get the videos, or find the Mac Mini service manual (I have one for my G4 Mini), or find a good step-by-step how-to.. it isn't so bad.

I've been using computers for a while. But the G4 Mini was actually my first computer I jumped into and upgraded. It was a little intimidating at first, but get the right tools and good instructions, you will be fine.

If you do it yourself, get magnetized precision screw drivers! If you can't find them, you can get a magnet from Home Depot or any other hardware store that will magnetize the tips for you.
It just makes it that much more easier with the screws.

Laughing And by doing that, you won't have to pray to the computer gods any more about the screws you lose in your black hole computer case Laughing
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranger1021 wrote:
Laughing And by doing that, you won't have to pray to the computer gods any more about the screws you lose in your black hole computer case Laughing
I dropped a very small one on the carpet and had to look for it for 20 minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: