123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Napster, AOL and Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjknight007

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Napster, AOL and Mac Mini Reply with quote

I am thinking of adding a mac mini to my lounge set-up. The mini would be connected by it's DVI connector to my Sharp 26 inch LCD television. The mini would be in addition to a PC desktop and laptop that I already own.

1. Will the mac mini work seamlessly with AOL Broadband?
2. Do I connect the mac mini to my wireless network using a USB dongle, my chosen method, in the same way that I connect my PC's to the network?
3. Does Napster, a music subscription service that shames iTunes for cost and content selection, work seamlessly with the Tiger OS?

The mini would be used purely as a lounge internet connection and Napster music hub.

Am I right to assume that the slowest processor and 512MB RAM would be sufficient for my needs?

Can any PC switchers offer any helpful pointers or advice with regards to switching across to the mac platform?

With Regards

Robert
leftplay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let's go over some of your issues. The first is working with AOL broadband - simple, yes it will work without any problems. However, I have to ask why AOL? But that's just my own dislike of anything related to AOL Laughing

If you want WiFi buy the Mini with Apple's Airport Extreme. It's costly at $80 but will cost you more if you add it later. Unfortunately, unlike a PC you can't just buy a third party WiFi device such as a USB dongle.

Next, Napster. I also think Napster is great. I have it on my PC. I don't have it on my Mini because it doesn't work on the Mac platform. Napster requires Windows Media Player and isn't compatible with iTunes. There is no why to transfer your Napster playlist and files to iTunes, but you can transfer any songs you bought from Napster over to iTunes with some work.

512MB RAM is the min. for general use with Mac OS X. You should be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: