123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New members...welcome
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: New members...welcome Reply with quote

I noticed about 70 some new members on the member list this week. I just wanted to say greetings, I hope this site is as helpful and informative to all of you as it has been to me. Very Happy
Middi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i am a newbie. the site is ace. there is one problem though. i dont really post that much because... my mac mini doesnt have any problems. i think apple is making me a recluse.
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middi wrote:
hi i am a newbie. the site is ace. there is one problem though. i dont really post that much because... my mac mini doesnt have any problems. i think apple is making me a recluse.

LOL

You don't have to post only problems here - it may help other newbies if you relate your experiences or perhaps the uses you have for your Mini?

Don't get me wrong "fanboy" stuff isn't necessary Wink just how you rate or perceive your Mini experience, perhaps comment on a few apps or widgets you find useful. I pick up most new apps from the recommendations of others, so you see you CAN post and influence others and in the process avoid recluse status Smile

Welcome to the forums.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you reply to everybodys posts like Tenex does your post count will shoot.....but please dont be a post hore i haven't found anybody on the site like that and when you post stuff it is nice to get a reply even if you dont know a solution after posting on all kinds of stuff you will know solutions to help people......also welcome all newbies either new mac users or just new to the minis
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futa_Mill wrote:
And if you reply to everybodys posts like Tenex does your post count will shoot.....

Why do I feel that isn't a compliment? Confused

I don't reply to everybody's post ... but I do like to encourage new members to post. A forum isn't viable if there isn't a reasonable volume of posts on topics that others find interesting.

Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
Futa_Mill wrote:
And if you reply to everybodys posts like Tenex does your post count will shoot.....

I don't reply to everybody's post ... but I do like to encourage new members to post. A forum isn't viable if there isn't a reasonable volume of posts on topics that others find interesting.

It wasn't mean't to hurt you i was just using you as an example and if you read later on i said that this was good to make new members welcome i do the same
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futa_Mill wrote:
[
It wasn't mean't to hurt you i was just using you as an example and if you read later on i said that this was good to make new members welcome i do the same

Thanks for that - thought I was getting something wrong there. No offence taken.

Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of those 70. Thought I would join after buying a dirt cheap mini ($400USD), as my new project. Always nice to be a part of a Mac forum with intelligent members, lots of new people learning stuff, and few trolls. Hopefully I can give and take a little info here and there Smile
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya welcome clunkclunk by your posts you seem like you are enjoying the site hope all your questions will be answered and that you can answer questions in the future

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hello from the UK - Kent to be precise. I have had my Mac Mini Core Duo, 80GB HDD, basic 512MB RAM (decided against an initial upgrade etc.). Purchased it three days ago from the Apple store in Bluewater - Europe's largest shopping mall (well, it was last time I looked). I'm going to have to stay away from that place, or become a pauper within 3 months!

I'm a traditional Wintel geezer - being around from the first IBM PC days, I shunned Apple for a couple of decades, and really had absolutely no interest in the kit at all ............ until a few weeks ago.

It all started with a download of iTunes 7 to the Wintel Laptop (self built), purely trying to find a better way of managing my MP3 files than M$'s Media Player, which to tell the truth I've never really got on with.

Within days my interest peaked and I gave in to my own desires and ordered an 80GB iPod - which took an excruciatingly long 10 days to arrive via UPS (Pit Pony probably). Apple have got to get this right, it is an artificial delay that has no relevance in 2006!

Anyway, the iPod experience with the XP PC and iTunes 7 was astonishing. I am rarely, if ever, impressed with technology having been working with it for 3+ decades! But this pairing just blew me away - trivial to set up and use would be an understatement. Each day just got better and better.

A so-called 'net friend of mine bought into the Mac Mini Intel Core Duo when it arrived on our shores earlier this year. I ignored it and him as he waxed lyrical about it ....... But after the iPod/iTunes experience I began to wonder .... any point going the whole hog and getting into the Mini? I also began to hate him as I developed an understanding of what this was likely going to cost me Very Happy

It took two trips to the Apple store in Bluewater, and a great amount of self-discipline to walk out empty handed, but I finally buckled. Thursday I walked in with a fully charged Credit Card set to Kill and a few minutes later walked out with a Mac Mini plus wireless Mighty Mouse and Keyboard - oh, and an Applecare Protection Plan - and £700+ lighter in pocket!

I have never, ever, set one of these up before. So you experienced Mac hacks will possibly not understand how gobsmacked I was at how very easy it was to get the Mac Mini up and running. The first few minutes was spent scanning through the soppy little manual that comes with the system, mouse and keyboard. The next few minutes was spent hooking up the screen (a bring your own Sanyo something ....), the power cable and then turning it on. After a few moments it prompted me to switch on my wireless Mighty Mouse (wtf?! how did it know!!) which I obediently did. It recognised it in moments and after a bit more chugging around it asked me to switch on my wireless keyboard (more psychic demonstration!), which I once again did without question. Not more than a few moments later it was asking me a set of questions to set up my account and get connected to my WPA wireless network. All in all a gross total of 10 minutes maximum from out of the box to logging in! Try that with a Wintel box!! Its impossible!!!

Now three days later I'm happy as the proverbial pig in the brown stuff Smile

I'm looking forward to exploring the other stuff it will do - especially the media apps. I'm committed to Wintel for my work and serious social stuff - but the Mac Mini will make great inroads to my pleasure and light social activities. I've not felt quite so excited by a computing set up before. This is great.
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya i know just setting up the mini is awesome wait to u use it daily it just gets better and better
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands0n wrote:
I have never, ever, set one of these up before. So you experienced Mac hacks will possibly not understand how gobsmacked I was at how very easy it was to get the Mac Mini up and running.
I always find that quite amusing. You would think ALL computers should be that easy!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
Futa_Mill wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Futa_Mill wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Futa_Mill wrote:

... i said that this was good to make new members welcome i do the same

?

Hands0n

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Hands0n wrote:
I have never, ever, set one of these up before. So you experienced Mac hacks will possibly not understand how gobsmacked I was at how very easy it was to get the Mac Mini up and running.
I always find that quite amusing. You would think ALL computers should be that easy!

Yea, right Cool But sadly it never happens - or at least "happened" ...... until Thursday night Laughing The only thing I did not like was Safari, I really didn't want to get used to yet another browser, so I grabbed the OS X version of Firefox and slapped that on - the install was a bit confusing (first app ever on a Mac) for a little while, but I figured it out after I properly RTFM Confused my second port of call when such things happen.

I wonder how many of us "Amazed from <somewhere>" Apple have scored in 2006. I've been like a Baptist Preacher ever since, becoming a real Mac-bore to all my friends and family Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: