123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macessity intros Stack On Mi for Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allinamini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Hmm.. Reply with quote

My take on this product is:

- Bare and unfinished ? True. But this product is not to be used alone. The Mac Mini on top will make it not so bare and not so unfinished. It is not for you if you don't have a Mac Mini or another Mac Mini contour enclosure to set on the top of it. The open top design does have a point regarding air flow assistance for Mac Mini.

I guess the question is: does it look ok with a Mac Mini ? Everyone has a different opinion on this question too, I am sure. I think it looks ok.
norman815

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmm.. Reply with quote

[quote="allinamini"]My take on this product is:

- Bare and unfinished ? True. But this product is not to be used alone. The Mac Mini on top will make it not so bare and not so unfinished. It is not for you if you don't have a Mac Mini or another Mac Mini contour enclosure to set on the top of it. The open top design does have a point regarding air flow assistance for Mac Mini.

I guess the question is: does it look ok with a Mac Mini ? Everyone has a different opinion on this question too, I am sure. I think it looks ok.[/quote]

I agree and have been considering one, but when I looked at their website and saw their picture of the thing, I got to wondering. The picture says that it has no top and no bottom (which is good for cooling), meaning that the viewer is seeing right through it, right? If so, there is nothing inside it. How do power and signals (if any) get from the back panel to the front panel? They also do not show a photo of their back panel.

I would be reluctant to buy one of these, despite its attractions, without knowing that it does in fact work, and how can it work with no wiring between the front and back panels?

Norman
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmm.. Reply with quote

norman815 wrote:
How do power and signals (if any) get from the back panel to the front panel? They also do not show a photo of their back panel. [...] how can it work with no wiring between the front and back panels?

I was wondering the same thing myself. My guess is that they removed the cable before taking the picture. You can see a slot in the middle, in the back, where I guess the cable must go through.
ndigesu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may look tacky but with a fan in the empty area and a way to depress the on/off button from the front would make it worth the price.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmm.. Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
norman815 wrote:
How do power and signals (if any) get from the back panel to the front panel? They also do not show a photo of their back panel. [...] how can it work with no wiring between the front and back panels?

I was wondering the same thing myself. My guess is that they removed the cable before taking the picture. You can see a slot in the middle, in the back, where I guess the cable must go through.
Yeah you can add me to the wondering type also. At first I thought the thing had a shiny piece of something on the bottom. But then I just realized it's a shell with no top or bottom.

I wonder how the USB mini hub is installed... just some glue? or what?
I just think it would better if the metal was flush around the ports. Like the LaCie hard drive & hub..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BTW, Yvan I'm waiting for the black CinnaMount!
I just finally bought a new internal hard drive for my G4 Mac Mini. I also got an enclosure for my old hard drive. Plus I'm installing the modem into my Mini.
The only thing I'm missing is a mount to mount it up!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhhh...wow, I just ordered one this morning then I come across this thread. Doesn't seem like too many people like the product.

Personally this is exactly what I've been looking for. I had been thinking of the belkin hub but I really didn't like that it had 2 of the 4 ports on the back. When I saw this I ordered it immediately.

I want all 4 ports easily accessable instead of having to do a reach around and trying to figure out which way the plug goes. This way I can leave my printer, ext usb drive, and keyboard plugged into the mini, then use the front hub for my card reader, ipod, ipod shuffle, and whatever else. When not using those things I just unplug and put away.

I don't see what the fuss is with it looking unfinished/open top/whatever. The mini is going to be sitting on top so who's gonna see down in there? Sure a fan in there would be nice but if nothing else it elevates the mini off the desk.

If its a piece of crap when I open the box I assume I can send it back.

Sad
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it is a piece of crap. Personally, I just think it isn't as polished as it could be. Though I do love the idea of a hub that is easily accessible.

My only real issue with it is that it's taller than the Mini. This leaves room above the Mini when mounted, I like a more flush fit. Plus I want something in the color black.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

My only real issue with it is that it's taller than the Mini. This leaves room above the Mini when mounted, I like a more flush fit. Plus I want something in the color black.

Are we looking at the same product? Taller than the mini? Its about half the height of the mini or maybe I'm just not understanding what you are saying.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I like that the finish matches the mini. After seeing a picture of the belkin hub underneath a mini the white and silver clash too much for me.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely my mistake. I was thinking about the Hang On Mi mount. Not the Stack on Mi.

Back on the Stack on Mi. It simply just isn't finished. I think for the price you are paying there should at least be a top on the unit. I could care less if it was a hallow shell, but it just looks unfinished. Like a prototype more than anything.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got this yesterday. For anyone that thinks this is cheap and flimsy its not. I was shocked at how substanstial the hub is. For no more than it is its heavy duty. The hub itself is secured in with 4 screws.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_like_jerkey wrote:
Just got this yesterday. For anyone that thinks this is cheap and flimsy its not. I was shocked at how substanstial the hub is. For no more than it is its heavy duty. The hub itself is secured in with 4 screws.

Some detailed pictures perhaps? Wink
i_like_jerkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
i_like_jerkey wrote:

Some detailed pictures perhaps? Wink

well there isnt much to show that you cant see from the pics on the site.

here is a cpl though. It just barely fit under my monitor stand. Actually the stand was grazing the top of the mini so I added a small spacer under the legs of it to give it just a touch more clearance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: