123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

confuse,which mac should i buy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paiboon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: confuse,which mac should i buy? Reply with quote

hi guys,
i am a new member,new to computer,new to mac,and from the far east and a writer of no repute Embarassed this is a great site. very friendly. i learn a lot more about computer here than reading from books. i am grateful to MiniMoe,SOCOMRAIDER,Bandit Bill and other senior members here and many thanks for their various views.
it's happened that 2 years ago i used pc. with all headachs and lost one file by accident as i don't know much about computer. a friend who use mac all his life 5 months ago gave me his old mac(iMac g3+panther)and he's bought his new intel i Mac 20"
since then i am hooked to mac and won't come back to pc any more. i plan to buy a new mac and collect some money(us$ 1800 in all). at first i want to copy MiniMoe(mac mini,upgrade+all other things mac)as my needs are only basic computer works. But recently iMac's upgraded which has better value than mac mini(ref.SOCOMRAIDER's view somewhere here). i could buy iMac 20" with the money i already have. why should i buy a lower value mini mac? unfortunately i don't like the flat panel iMac with chin etc. it look so ugly and then i halt any buying now altogether and wait to clear my comfusion.
my Question is: if you have $1800,which mac would you buy? i can wait until the new year, hopefully mac may bring out a new product.
your opinions may help to clarify my confusion and sorry for my poor English
Confused thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were my choice, and my $1800, I'd spend it on the 20" iMac.

Even though it may be a more powerful computer than you plan on needing right now, it will last you longer than a Mac mini, because it has newer, more powerful components.

Even if you plan on getting a mini, and upgrading everything you can, the iMac still has some areas where it will outpace the mini, primarily the graphics card, iSight, and the fact that the iMac uses 3.5" hard drives versus the Mac mini's 2.5". I suppose you could mod a 3.5" hard drive on the mini, but then you'd lose the clean lines of the mini, and in my opinion, would be approaching the 'ugly' factor of the iMac's chin.

The only reason I have a mini, is I wanted a cheap secondary machine (A MacBook Pro is my main computer), and I already had a monitor, keyboard and mouse. If I were to pick a single machine to be my only computer, it would be an iMac, or a MacBook Pro.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are pros and cons for both.

If you want a more versatile system (as in configuration), get a Mac Mini. You will be able to upgrade your monitor to various sizes, if you need a bigger screen later on. However, a Mac Mini will cost just as much, if not more than a iMac, with full Apple equipment.

If you want the most for your money, get an iMac. You get everything included with the system. You won't have to shop around for the other accessories. Plus you get an iSight and speakers, besides the monitor/keyboard/mouse and the 3.5" drive.
Yet if there is a problem with one part of it.. that might effect the whole machine, instead of just the individual part.
++++++++++++++++++
So I say if you don't have all the equipment and don't want to shop around, get the iMac.
But if you are going to upgrade a monitor later on or want a different keyboard/mouse and other accessories, get the Mac mini.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: confuse,which mac should i buy? Reply with quote

paiboon wrote:
i am grateful to MiniMoe,SOCOMRAIDER,Bandit Bill and other senior members here and many thanks for their various views.
Not a problem. We try to help people as much as we can. I've learned a lot from this site myself and also from my other senior comrades.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys.
still i am undecided and feel i should wait to let the dust settle down for the time being. but my mind lean toward iMac more. i really hope by the beginning of next year iMac new version will come out with a new look and versatility. 3 years ago i saw a Japanese company, Fujisu, brought out a hibridge computer which could be used as a laptop and dasktop depending where you were. it's a cute innovation,but i won't come near ms-os again. i would love to see iMac thinner(8g.for 20")and could also use external battery sometimes when one travels somewhere. why we have to depend on an expensive laptop?
you see,i would love to have a good machine,stable and last longer(at least 8 years). i want to forget with the machine after buying it
and be happy using it,which i am not so sure i would be happy if i own an iMac now. after i post the Question above i went to sit looking at the iMac of my friend and still dislike. iMac g3 is more classic,i think. the present iMac looks more like a low quality and cheap LCD moniter menufacturing somewhere in China. well i might end up with iMac and much appreciate all you feedbacks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: If I were You Reply with quote

I'd have following options open to me priority wise:

1. With USD$ 1800 in hand, try to save and add another $200. Buy a 15.4" New MacBook Pro and feel on top of the world.

2. The new iMac 24" Core 2 Duo would be awsome. But again its USD$ 1999. So you gotta save some to make that purchase. And its a no-regret purchase.

3. Last but not least iMac 20" with Core 2 Duo. A very affordable option in your case with some money saved for other accessories.

Believe me, I didn't like iMac design from the start. But that was when I had only seen it on web. I hesitantly got one about two weeks back and I already love it. Every Mac has a distinguished design in its own place. It all depends upon you needs, taste and pocket.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: confuse,which mac should i buy? Reply with quote

paiboon wrote:
I am grateful to MiniMoe,SOCOMRAIDER,Bandit Bill and other senior members here and many thanks for their various views.

First of all... thank you for the nice comment Smile

Being that you want your computer to last "at least 8 years" Shocked which is much longer than the average person, this puts you in an interesting situation.

Being that you are not overly fond of the looks of the iMac and the fact that it is an AIO, you may want to stay away from it. 8 years of looking at something you do not like is a VERY long time. Also 8 years with an AIO is risky in the event of hardware failure. 5-7 of those years would be without Applecare.

Now... the Mac mini may not be enough computer to get you through the next 8 years.

I would personally wait until Macworld 2007
http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/
and the release of Leopard before buying a new machine.

Hardware wise:

I would look at a Mac mini and a monitor that is very pleasing. You may even want to go to a 24" model being you intend to keep things for so long and the fact that you write.

You may want to re-evaluate your thoughts as to how long you want the actual computer to last you. Consider replacing the mini again in 4 years and keeping the monitor. 8 years is a long time to go without an operating system upgrade. A new mini covers a good portion of the cost of an OS upgrade. Apple probably won't even support Leopard (which isn't out yet) in 8 years.

Any accessories that you purchase for a mini can be transfered to the new machine. You will likely want some form of external hard drive for back-up and additional storage.
paiboon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Bandit Bill.
you see,now i am using a 6-year-old iMac g3 and somewhat it still serves me well. i mean it covers my basic needs such as word processing,e-mail,or browsing some website etc.though it is a bit slow. could you tell me what is the direction of a computer? i feel it is geared more to an entertainment and i observe,here at this site,we talk a lot of mini mac as a livingroom player for movie,music etc. on a 50" plasma moniter. this is not what i want or think about computer....my thought now is to create a beautiful book by myselve not rely on an expert all the time. i use iWork 05 and i want to move up to the 06 version,but i cannot program into a small HD of a g3 machine. that is why i want to buy a new computer.
what i've learnt now is Apple build a good computer,but rather expensive. perhaps i have to learn to live with the iMac as a good computer suitable for my needs and the money i have,and,if i upgrade it to it's most potencial,500G Hd and 3G memory,could it not live longer? if one has to buy an expensive car,say a Porche,one would hope it lasts longer,right? can one think in the same line with a computer?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people talk about the mini as a home theatre computer but that is not what Apple markets this machine as. The mini is an all purpose machine.

If your primary need is to be able to write a book, surf the net etc. ANY machine on the market today will meet your needs. Your current G3 will meet those needs. If you need more storage space you can get an external hard drive or upgrade the internal hard drive.

If you are open to the iMac, keep in mind that the looks may grow on you. Initially I did not like the design, but with time I have grown to like it.

Ultimately the choice is up to you. Just keep in mind that if you buy an iMac you are locked into to an all in one design. There is nothing wring with all in one, but being you want to keep the machine 8 years, choose wisely.

Good luck.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinscruffy wrote:
Go for the iMac, they're good value and wonderful to live with. But Upgrading can be difficult unless you know what you're doing.

Upgrading the memory is easy, but everything else is very difficult
bibamus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paiboon wrote:
iMac g3 is more classic,i think. the present iMac looks more like a low quality and cheap LCD moniter menufacturing somewhere in China. well i might end up with iMac and much appreciate all you feedbacks.

My iMac was made in China, as are all iMacs, but it is definately NOT cheap and low quality.
My advice to you is buy one. Thats it. I love the look of it. In my opinion it will look very impressive, sitting silently on your desk.
I have had loads of people in the house over Christmas and they all comment on how good it looks.
Go for it, buy an iMac..........

Allan
ewhale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too feel that this forum is very friendly. I'm really thankful to all of you for making this a very comfortable place to visit.

I too, have come to the conclusion that iMac is more value-for-money when compared to Mac Mini.

However, I have a concern though. Since the iMac comes in one piece (everything is inside - hard disk, screen, disc drives), how easy it is to change the memory and hard disk?

I have a small form factor HP PC that I bought about 5 years back. It is still working now except there were two replacements of memory and hard disk. I think these are the two main components to fail in a computer over the long term.

Now I am back at the cross road again. I am going to buy a machine that will serve me for the next 5 years.

I just wanted to know how easy it is to replace the memory and hard disk of the iMac. Is it doable at home? I am comfortable with replacing and troubleshooting PC hardware. I have never open any Mac though.
bibamus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory is easy to change, its behind a take off cover under the screen. Hard drive is a little more difficult, but not impossible. You need to take the whole lot apart.
But hey, I have a 250gb hard drive and a 12 month warranty. I dont even worry about it. If I want to fiddle about with a computer, I take the PC apart!
Allan
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think the iMac is ugly and don't want to spend your $1800 on one thing, go mini. You said you will need it for only basic computer works, so the mini would be great for you. It's fast, small, and there are alot of great accesories made for it.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly don't get the iMac if you think it is ugly. Personally, I LOVE the iMac's and would not hesitate to buy one. The chin might take some getting used to, but the display is absolutely GORGEOUS! Plus, you get the better graphics chipset compared to what is shipped with the mini.

Bottom line, buy what YOU WANT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: