123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMac for 700 Dollars,easily!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nojja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: iMac for 700 Dollars,easily! Reply with quote

1. why is it a stupid iSight camera built in, in the iMacs.
The price could be 100$ lower.

2. Including Mighty Mouse and Keyboard.
Well we could cut the price with 100 $ there aswell

3. Stupid remote control.
Bet we could reduce the price with 100$ for that thing 2.

Well thats 300$ at least.

All these things most people dont need or already has home,left over from old computers.

Then we could have a iMac for 700 dollars!...

And i just must complain about Os X leopard.
I personally dont want to waste an awful lot of Ram on having stupid over styled programmes.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me guess... you drive a Lada Smile

Of course Apple could reduce the cost by cutting out the novelties. But it seems that it sells.
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remote is nowhere near $100.

The keyboard/mouse combo isn't, either. Heck, you can buy a WIRELESS mouse/keyboard with a new Mini for $99, and that's MSRP!

I doubt that the camera is $100 internal cost, either.

Actually, what you propose IS available. It's called the Mini!

Doug
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CCD in the built in iSight is probably about $35 in bulk quantities. The mouse and keyboard are probably $35 together when Apple buys container ships full of them. The remote likely cost about $5 in large quantities.

And where do you get the idea that Leopard is going to provide "overstyled" programs? Don't confuse useful functions and integration with bloat, RAM is cheap, learn to deal.

And as someone else already pointed out, we have the system you are asking for, it is called the mini. The iMac is nearly perfect in design as is, I like the built in iSight, the remote works great and I don't want to use my old mouse and keyboard with my shiny new all in one.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young grasshoppa..... take the educational discount... get the entry level iMac for $899. When tax time comes around, count it as a educational computer (applies to certain States). In which you will get some money back (in Minnesota up to $299 back). There goes your cheap iMac.

If you want to complain about the price of a Mac... then you are definitely into the wrong thing. Macs aren't cheap, but they have high value. So if you are looking for a cheap system, look at Dell or Gateway. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Macs aren't cheap, but they have high value. So if you are looking for a cheap system, look at Dell or Gateway. Rolling Eyes

I wasn't gonna' go right there, but yea, that is what it comes down to...

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Young grasshoppa..... take the educational discount... get the entry level iMac for $899.

I thought there was an EDUCATIONAL iMac, without the bells and whistles.
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the educational iMac became the base iMac, though there still may be an educational discount. The base iMac does NOT include a remote, it has Intel graphics instead of a separate graphics card, and is less configured in several ways.

Doug
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Young grasshoppa..... take the educational discount... get the entry level iMac for $899.

I thought there was an EDUCATIONAL iMac, without the bells and whistles.
It used to be an education thing only. But I guess Apple liked saying "iMac starts at $999" (which is how much it is, without the educational discount). It is basically an Intel Mac Mini with a built-in display. There is the integrated GPU and it doesn't come with the Apple Remote. It still has the iSight and still comes with a keyboard and mouse.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should elimintate the built-in screen too. Laughing
Zinn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: iMac for 700 Dollars,easily! Reply with quote

Nojja wrote:
1. why is it a stupid iSight camera built in, in the iMacs.
The price could be 100$ lower.

2. Including Mighty Mouse and Keyboard.
Well we could cut the price with 100 $ there aswell

3. Stupid remote control.
Bet we could reduce the price with 100$ for that thing 2.

Well thats 300$ at least.

All these things most people dont need or already has home,left over from old computers.

Then we could have a iMac for 700 dollars!...

And i just must complain about Os X leopard.
I personally dont want to waste an awful lot of Ram on having stupid over styled programmes.
why stop at cutting out the keyboard, mouse, camera and remote?? you could bring the price down to $zero if you cut out the display, the core 2 duo, the ram, motherboard, hard drive, graphics chip, dvd-rom, case and power supply. The only problem is that this configuration might not give you optimal performance in OS X, but it sounds like Windows is better for you anyway.

OR for your $700 you could build a beastly Linux box and you wouldn't need a GUI to "waste an awful lot of Ram on having over styled programmes." You could do everything in the terminal the old fashioned way. This is obviously the best value for your dollar.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just hook a processor/motherboard directly to a series of LEDs and just interface directly in binary? It'd certainly save processor cycles over "overstyled" things like GUIs.
Nojja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was meant to be a stupid reply to my other thread where i disscused that the imac could be 300 Cheaper with a few modification that wouldnt change the actually reason you buy the computer= computer with a good processor and so on.

What we are buying is actually a computer i thought.

You say we could skip the core2duo,motherboard cause it would matter any more.

I think most here already has keyboard,mouse and if you like webcam a webcam also.

It sounds as the ones whos supposed to buy the iMac is people who never owned a single computer.

I mean, we are not talking about mac mini which is meant to attract first time buyers.

The imac attracts mainly more computer interested people.
And they dont want to get a bunch of stuff more attractive to first time buyers.

They allready got a mouse,keyboard and if they want a webcam they would buy one rather than have it implanted in the computer.

I think the whole idea with "everything included" worked 1998 when many people never had bought a computer before and thought it was a good deal with everything included.

The only time a iMac is a good deal is if you have an old CRT screen a broken Mouse and Keyboard and a bad computer not if you have a mac mini a new LCD screen and you have bought matching apple keyboard and mouse and maybe even a webcam from for example logitec?
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hate to reply like this because it sounds kind of condescending, but too late...

The iMac is a design marvel, that is why many people like myself (who have owned literally dozens of computers) buy it. I don't want a fugly web cam perched on the display, I like the Apple keyboard and I like the fact my desk is so clutter free now. The iMac has never been about being the cheapest, but about being a fast and capable computer wrapped in amazing design. It succeeds at this amazingly well and the sales figures reflect that.

I think you are hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't own a computer these days, and I'll bet the majority of iMac owners have owned previous PCs and Macs, and that same majority don't want to use their clunky HP keyboard or eMachines mouse with their shiny new iMac.

The iMac is already a great deal and an even better deal with the last revision. They have hit all the major price points during that revision as well. What you keep asking for is already available, it's called the Mac mini.

Redshift Spec

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

They allready got a mouse,keyboard and if they want a webcam they would buy one rather than have it implanted in the computer.

The only time a iMac is a good deal is if you have an old CRT screen a broken Mouse and Keyboard and a bad computer not if you have a mac mini a new LCD screen and you have bought matching apple keyboard and mouse and maybe even a webcam from for example logitec?

Well have you ever thought of getting some of hte cash back by selling the keyboard and mouse on Ebay? Or even if it annoyes you that much get a pro.

Next you'll be going on about how Laptops always make you buy new keyboards, (pads or nipples) and screens.

right my rant over Rolling Eyes [/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: