123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
V05

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Mac newbie trying to get informed. I often hear people say wait a week after an update because of reported issues. But when's the last time Apple went and released a supplemental updated after a point release?
robhfla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't they do that for 10.4.5 or 10.4.6? I think it was 3 days later or something.
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V05 wrote:
I'm a Mac newbie trying to get informed. I often hear people say wait a week after an update because of reported issues. But when's the last time Apple went and released a supplemental updated after a point release?

They have been known to patch widespread issues, but generally most issues aren't that massive.

Also note that many issues we read about are often conflicts with haxies, skinning apps, etc...

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
On another site I read that a few people had problems, Solved by doing the combo update instead of the delta, then cleaning caches and repairing permissions followed by a couple reboots. I run CS2 as well it shuts down just fine. Over all it seem the only improvement for me is Safari seem to browse just a bit faster.

I did the combo update, so that is not it, but I will try cleaning the caches with Cocktail. The machine in question is a Mac Pro, not the mini. I think there may be a few more bugs to iron out on the newer hardware. Let's just say that Parallels has been a real treat. The update went off without a hitch on my mini, but I don't run CS2 on that machine.

I am one of the "Comcast customers" mentioned in the Apple Bulletin. Let's say in my case, Safari is exponentially faster than before. I went from about 3-Mbps to 15-Mbps on Comcast gold tier.
imfullofit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look on the apple discussions and waited a few days to do it on my G4 mac mini and macbook and I don't seem to have any issues with it on either machine.

www.julianvandercook.com
agruenebaum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: new feature Reply with quote

Did you already try out: press ctrl + scroll-wheel on your mouse?

No problems so far with 10.4.8 on G5 (2x2) G4 (Quicksilver) and MacBook Pro (2GHz). MacMini Intel updates at the time I am writing.

Especially I can NOT confirm the problems related to MS-Word or Adobe CS 2. I have tested Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign on the MacBook Pro and could not find any difference compared to MacOS X 10.4.7.
Bachiano

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: new feature Reply with quote

"Did you already try out: press ctrl + scroll-wheel on your mouse?"

WOW is that an old trick I did not know about or is that new to 10.4.8?

Any more tricks Very Happy Question
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, what is it? I don't have a Mighty Mouse so I don't know! The suspense is killing me! Laughing

Everything went off without a hitch here, and Safari downloads are faster, it's about 30Kbps faster that before the update.

-jb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
boatj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: new feature Reply with quote

agruenebaum wrote:
Did you already try out: press ctrl + scroll-wheel on your mouse?

Dang! That's nice...this is an old trick?? And pan too.

Is there a shortcut to get it back to normal?
pjarvi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My G4 Mac Mini now sleeps properly! I have a NexStar GX external USB hard drive that is supposed to turn off automatically when the computer turns off. It never did though, until after this update. It must be a part of the "3rd party USB support". Now that it turns off on its' own, the Mini stays asleep rather than waking up within seconds of going to sleep.

I've noticed no problems after the update on both my G4 Mini and my BlackBook.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjarvi wrote:
I have a NexStar GX external USB hard drive that is supposed to turn off automatically when the computer turns off. It never did though, until after this update. It must be a part of the "3rd party USB support". .

I have a few Micronet drives that wouldn't spin down when they were connected with USB. I'm not looking to switch them over from Firewire, but I'd be curious to see if anything has changed since 10.4.7. They spin down properly with Firewire.
johnodd4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad news

adobe photoshop cs and any adobe cs products no longer run under os x the latest version so if you do not have 2,000 dollers to purchase the latest version i wouldn't upgrade
SStreet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnodd4 wrote:
bad news

adobe photoshop cs and any adobe cs products no longer run under os x the latest version so if you do not have 2,000 dollers to purchase the latest version i wouldn't upgrade

What?? works fine for many of us. Now it is 100% efficent - no. but it works just fine.

Mac Mini 1.42GHz, 1G, 80G/4200RPM
heulenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Corruption of phots in the iPhoto library post 6.0.5 update Reply with quote

After using Software Update for the new OSX update as well as the iLife updates, I found that a bunch of the photos in my iPhoto library have become corrupted. They look fine in thumbnail view but when opened fully they show that the files are incomplete and the bottom portion of the photos get filled in with junk. I store my iPhoto library on an external drive so I'm not absolutely certain its not a problem with the drive itself but it seems unlikely for three reasons:
1) All the files stored in the "Original" folder within the iPhoto library before the 6.0.5 update look fine
2) All the other, non-iPhoto files stored on the external drive are fine
3) When using iPhoto 6.0.4 with the iPhoto library on the external drive I had no such problems working with the exact same photos

This happened on a 2-week old mac mini (Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz) connected to a Western Digital 120GB drive inside a Macally FW/USB enclosure.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
scooper wrote:
I'm getting excited as these updates roll along. I mean they only have room for two more before Leopard!
One more... Tiger will end with 10.4.9

There can be 10.4.10, 10.4.11, and so on. That's the way the naming convention works.

Will there actually be? Doubt it.

Smile

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: