123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMac Port Extender

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfieldhouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: iMac Port Extender Reply with quote

You know how laptops have these docks, or port extenders? so instead of having to attatch audio, usb, vga, ethernet, etc... you just plug in one USB cable, or own propriatory cable and your away?

Well what I would love to see from Apple would be a "macBox" port extender kinda thing. So out of my beautiful mac would be one slender cable that carried power, audio, usb, firewire, dvi, optical and attached to a nice box that contained all the IO connectivity you could dream of. And because it would have a nice long cable it would hide in a cupboard or under my desk. How great would that be? lol, should patent this!

Is there any thing already like hat for the mac? i'd love it, would really neeten things up.

On a similar note, can you get a furewire hu that also does USB? would be nice so that instead of having a usb and a firewire cable i could just have one cable that lead to a hub that did both.

Sam
500GB HDD
Superdrive
Tiger 10.4.8
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about something like this before. Like a specialized bottom connection on the Mini. It would sit on a dock like a digital cam on a dock. There would be extra ports and maybe a 3.5" hard drive. Financially it wouldn't be feasible. But I think the only improvement, port wise, on the Mac Mini that is needed... is a 2nd FireWire port.

Otherwise, if it didn't connect on a special connector, I basically described a MiniStack...

But yeah, I get what you are saying.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

Extra ports are always good and the Mac Mini really need a second FireWire port so someone can use a iSight and FireWire external HDD at the same time and I'm sure it's possibl to do, just they would have to move the stuff around a bit. Now here's a pic on this site, where only 2 things would make it a bit more logical move the DVI port over and the USB ports all clustered together like on the current Mac Mini.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: yeah Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
Extra ports are always good and the Mac Mini really need a second FireWire port so someone can use a iSight and FireWire external HDD at the same time.......
I've used an iSight and a FireWire external HDD at the same time. I just plugged in the iSight into the hard drive's second FireWire port.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: hhmmmmmm Reply with quote

never thought of that, but that would look a little odd to me. It would make a great trick, say that the external HDD is really a in line convertor I know some PC people that would actually work on too.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: yeah Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
I've used an iSight and a FireWire external HDD at the same time. I just plugged in the iSight into the hard drive's second FireWire port.

Exactly that's why firewire is the connection of choice.

I've imported from a camcorder at the end of > HDD1 > HDD2 > camcorder while HDD1 was playing back an AVI.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: I blame PC's Reply with quote

I've rarely used FireWire (only on one external HDD) so I keep forgetting about the daisy chain, and it's actually a IEEE connection, unlike USB.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: I blame PC's Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
and it's actually a IEEE connection, unlike USB.

OK I don't understand this comment.

Firewire is a connection technology that conforms to the IEEE 1394 standard. Is that what you mean?

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: basically Reply with quote

It lets you transfer old Mac data to a new Mac over a network by targeting the old HDD, now in a USB network each PC tries to recognize each other as an external device.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: