123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OS 9 Removal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: OS 9 Removal? Reply with quote

Hi All

I have a dual boot G4 400 Titanium Powerbook, with OS9 & Tiger installed. I find that I hardly ever use OS9 now. Question is can I just trash the folder or do I have to format nad just re-install tiger.

Thanks

Snowy
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that all you have to do is drag your 9.2 system folder to the trash. To test this, do so but don't empty the trash. The only thing I would be concerned with it whether you need something in it to start up Classic. To find out, reboot after throwing it away and go to your System Preferences folder and start up Classic. You may get a dialogue box requesting that a few system resources be added; that's OK. As long as Classic can start you're safe in getting rid of the System 9 folder.

Having said all this, you might still be better off to keep the folder just in case you ever need to boot into 9. The folder should take up only about 250 mb or less; inconsequential on a hard drive these days.
snowy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fox

Thanks for the response. Get info reports that the OS 9 Appications folder is 933.7mb! The hard disk is 30gb, of which I have only got about 11.3gb left. I'm not sure that the powerbook has ever booted in classic, as opposed to running in pure OS 9 mode.

Thanks

Snowy
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No inconsistency there, snowy. I was referring to the OS 9 System Folder, not its Application folder. I just checked my OS 9 apps folder and it's 1.8 gb! Most of the stuff in it is just residual from early Mac days; I could easily clean out 3/4 of it and never miss the stuff. If it's the application folder you're concerned about, you can dump anything in there that you don't want with impunity.

Oh, one thing to be careful about is any data stored in there that is used with the X version of the app. Not likely to be much if anything, but in my case there is a Virtual PC windows "disc" kept in that folder which is used by my VPC 7 (an OS X application). You want to move out things like that before trashing the folder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: