123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Beware (Are you getting Tiger?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Best Beware (Are you getting Tiger?) Reply with quote

If you're thinking of picking up a mini at Best Buy "DON'T ASSUME" Tiger is preloaded or in the box. I just picked one up there 2 days ago. I specifically asked the salesperson if it was installed or in the box. It was neither. I would have had to do the mail in B.S.

The reason I purchased it from Best Buy is they have a 14 day return policy on their computers. I took it back an went to Westworld (my Apple dealer) and purchased a mini from them.

Tiger was not pre-loaded (at Westworld) and it came attached to the side of the box. If you're wondering if Tiger will come with your mini. Make sure it says so on the box. I don't think you can throw Tiger in the box either. You would break the seal on the mini and I don't think it would fit inside.

Now that I got Tiger separate and installed it. I recommend getting it this way if you still can. You get the same Tiger install CD that you would buy from the store along with a trial version of iWork. The install is a piece of cake.
slickrick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point! Don't assume when you're buying a new mini that Tiger will be pre-installed on the computer or the box will include a upgrade disk. The best way to guarantee you'll get Tiger is to buy your mini from the Apple store or someone like Smalldog.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my mini on tuesday night at Best Buy. It had tiger in the box and a trial of iwork. It has a sticker on the box that said: "Mac OS X v. 10.4 Tiger Inside"

I had to install it and it works great now. I was initally upset that it was not installed but now i am glad that it wasent. Being a MS Office guy I really wanted to try iWork. Now I can.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine they shipped my reseller the Tiger disks separate and my Apple dealer taped Tiger to the box.

The next machines they get will probably be like your scenario. Tiger in the box but not installed.

Product probably moves slower through the Canadian channel.

Ninja, did you also get the disk for 10.3.7? I did.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you GET Tiger, who cares if it is preinstalled or not? Install it and move on. . .
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DellApple

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
As long as you GET Tiger, who cares if it is preinstalled or not? Install it and move on. . .

Amen brother - Totally agree.

By the way, Best Buy has one of the worse return policies in the USA. If your not buying from Mac, try CompUSA.
idave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DellApple wrote:
mavherzog wrote:

Amen brother - Totally agree.

By the way, Best Buy has one of the worse return policies in the USA. If your not buying from Mac, try CompUSA.

I would never buy any Mac product at Best Buy. Next time you're there ask them to show you their Mac software section. Wink
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DellApple,

Why does Best Buy have the worst returns policy?

Maybe it's different here in Canada, but here you can return any computer with 14 days. No questions asked. Even if it's open. You also get 30 days price protection. If it is cheaper somewhere else or if it goes down at Best Buy you get the difference back in cash.

Sounds good to me.

That's is why I initially bought mine there. I was hoping for Apple to come out with a new model and I would return the old one.

If you really wanted you could have a new computer every 2 weeks, or until they stop selling products to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: