123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macworld reviews Core Duo Mac minis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Macworld reviews Core Duo Mac minis Reply with quote

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Macworld has posted a review of the recently updated 1.66GHz and 1.83GHz Mac minis. According to the review, "Both of these new Mac mini models are good values, and Apple made an excellent choice in dropping the underpowered Core Solo-based model-the last single-core Mac in Apple's product line. As a budget Mac, a supplemental home computer, a server, or a home media set-top box, the Mac mini's price and size make it an impressively versatile system. If you're a gamer, the Mac mini's integrated graphics system won't be powerful enough for your needs. But for everyone else, the Mac mini remains an excellent system, especially for users with a limited amount of free space or money—or both." The new Mac minis earned a score of 4 out of 5 mice.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/533.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
danrel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I've felt the same since the switch. I was thinking of just a new MacBook when Leopard arrives, but with the price drop of the minis, why not get one of both!? Not to mention I dig the socketed processor of the intel minis. Does anyone know if you can upgrade the processor in the MacBook as you can with minis?

MacBook Pro C2D(Penryn) 2.5GHz/ 4GB/ 250GB
Mac mini C2D 1.83GHz/ 2GB/ 80GB
eMac G4 1GHz/ 384MB/ 40GB/ AE
Airport Extreme 802.11 Draft N router
iPod Touch 8GB
G-Tech 320GB FW800/400 external drive
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Macworld reviews Core Duo Mac minis Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Saturday, September 23, 2006

Apple made an excellent choice in dropping the underpowered Core Solo-based model

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/533.html

This is debatable... for many users a Core Solo is more than enough computing power. It's faster that the previous G4 models. Which many people find more that adequate.

Some people would have been happier seeing Apple drop the price of the entry level Mac mini.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a G4 1.5 with 1 Gb memory. It is faster than my old, old AMD Athlon 850 and way safer. Still I'd like to see me with an Intel Mac and Cross Over Application tot run some old Windows-based programmes which never will be released for OSX anyway (PaintShop Pro, Shrink, Gravity and such). Since I only bought my Mini in January of this year and so much changed already in 9 months(!!), I think I can wait until the MacMini's are released with Leopard. Maybe even there will be a headless machine inbetween the Mini and Mac pro, who knows? Idea A next mini should have a 7200 rpm drive anyway...
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Macworld reviews Core Duo Mac minis Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
This is debatable... for many users a Core Solo is more than enough computing power. It's faster that the previous G4 models. Which many people find more that adequate.

I don't think that will hold true much longer, I suspect Leopard will take better advantage of dual cores and so will lots of Apple and third party software going forward. It would have been a mistake to leave a single core CPU in the line at this point.

But yea, I could have lived with a price drop as well...

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Macworld reviews Core Duo Mac minis Reply with quote

MacWaffler wrote:
snip

You guys think you are paying much for your Macs! Our prices are a bit different!! Check my country's prices at http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/nlstore.woa/6444047/wo/pu2qK5Vj2LTw2HbCLZxIUWj21bc/0.PSLID?mco=B2E439B3&nclm=Macmini
BTW, the Euro = 1.27775 USD, though these prices are including tax, nevertheless...
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to take Macworld's computer reviews with a grain of salt. This isn't necessarily about the Mac mini review, but in general, when's the last time Macworld rated an Apple computer below four mice? Sometimes I think it would be better if they did more long term and real world testing before coming out with a review. I bet looking back they regret giving the MacBook a rating of four mice. That sucker appears to be plagued with technical issues. That being said, I still appreciate looking at their Speedmark scores for different systems. But do you know what I really love to see these days? All of the favorable Apple computer reviews in PC World and PC Magazine. Razz
iLife's a Bitch!
JediTimmy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sick of people saying the mac mini is useless for gaming, i spend most of my time on my core solo with only 512Mb of RAM playing games.

though i dont play many of the latest games.

The core solo mini has curtainly met my needs for every day use and gaming.

though it would of been nice if had got more RAM, larger harddrive and a superdrive.

but im still going to wait a little while before i start upgrading.

PS3 60GB owner.

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that can resist stupid fads, copy and paste this into your sig.
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediTimmy wrote:
I'm sick of people saying the mac mini is useless for gaming, i spend most of my time on my core solo with only 512Mb of RAM playing games.

What are you playing, outside of Quake III I haven't tried any other games on my mini, but it was solid on that one title.

SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Macworld reviews Core Duo Mac minis Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
MacWaffler wrote:
snip

You guys think you are paying much for your Macs! Our prices are a bit different!! Check my country's prices at http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/nlstore.woa/6444047/wo/pu2qK5Vj2LTw2HbCLZxIUWj21bc/0.PSLID?mco=B2E439B3&nclm=Macmini
BTW, the Euro = 1.27775 USD, though these prices are including tax, nevertheless...
That's why I love the Aussie's and the Europeans. They take hits, so I don't have to. Not only on the price... but on waiting another 3-4 months for the PlayStation 3, so I can have one Very Happy Very Happy
JediTimmy wrote:

though i dont play many of the latest games.
I still play Starcraft on my PPC G4 Mac Mini Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacWaffler wrote:
JediTimmy wrote:

What are you playing, outside of Quake III I haven't tried any other games on my mini, but it was solid on that one title.

Call of duty
Ghost Recon
Age of Empires II
Civ III
Unreal Tournament
Starcraft
Redline demo

i've tried many other demos as well.

I'm mostly looking forward to Imperial Glory when it comes out, judging by the system requirments it "should" run well.

PS3 60GB owner.

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that can resist stupid fads, copy and paste this into your sig.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Macworld reviews Core Duo Mac minis Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
snip That's why I love the Aussie's and the Europeans. They take hits, so I don't have to. Not only on the price... but on waiting another 3-4 months for the PlayStation 3, so I can have one Very Happy Very Happy

We have other benefits besides the commercial ones (I'm half an hour from the Autobahn Wink , Paris and London are within easy reach, the Cote d'Azur only a day's drive Laughing )
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediTimmy wrote:

Civ III
Redline demo

I'm mostly looking forward to Imperial Glory when it comes out, judging by the system requirments it "should" run well.

Does Civ III leak memory like the Windows version?

How is Redline performance?

MacWaffler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I tend to take Macworld's computer reviews with a grain of salt. This isn't necessarily about the Mac mini review, but in general, when's the last time Macworld rated an Apple computer below four mice? Sometimes I think it would be better if they did more long term and real world testing before coming out with a review. I bet looking back they regret giving the MacBook a rating of four mice. That sucker appears to be plagued with technical issues. That being said, I still appreciate looking at their Speedmark scores for different systems. But do you know what I really love to see these days? All of the favorable Apple computer reviews in PC World and PC Magazine. Razz

That is the whole problem with online reviews, it really is a race to be the first with a review up. And I agree that long term testing would be nice, even if they could do a "90 days later" addendum to the original review I think it would be useful.

And yea, all the great reviews at assorted PC sites lately is really exciting, hope every one of them makes Steve Balmmer throw a chair...

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long term reviews are the only reviews that really hold any merit with me. If ind when a product is just introduced it is 4 - 4 1/2 stars is the eyes of all the reviewers. 6 months later that same product is about 3 1/2 - 4 stars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: