123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacCube Concept
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gammada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt in love with the Cube G4 back when it was introduced. Actually, I considered buying a Cube instead of my Mac mini early this year but I couldn't find a reasonably-priced one in this silly country.

Things are quite different now, thou. After using my mini for the past 3-or-so months, I had found it to be the very best computer on sale today at any given price, period!

It's size-power-price-usefulness combination is simply unmatched. I just can't picture having a cube-sized computer doing the rounds as a multimedia center, can you?
llewellyn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Mini Cube Reply with quote

Back when Apple was still using NuBus slots instead of PCi slots you could buy an expansion chassis which would allow you to add more cards than the limited space in a Mac would allow. If Apple would adjust the mini with a port on the bottom that could plug into such a chassis then third parties could develop a range of expansion products fitting the mini form factor.

I don't know if this is technically possible with the PCI specs but it would certainly offer the expandability which Mac enthusiasts desire without modifying their current product line significantly. They could call it a Mac mini pro.

Also, if you desire a larger, faster 3.5 inch drive in your mini you could remove the current drive, plug in an eSATA cable and run it out of the box (not sure where it could exit) and into a one of MacPower M9 SATA enclosure.
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini Cube Reply with quote

llewellyn wrote:
Back when Apple was still using NuBus slots instead of PCi slots you could buy an expansion chassis which would allow you to add more cards than the limited space in a Mac would allow. If Apple would adjust the mini with a port on the bottom that could plug into such a chassis then third parties could develop a range of expansion products fitting the mini form factor.

I don't know if this is technically possible with the PCI specs but it would certainly offer the expandability which Mac enthusiasts desire without modifying their current product line significantly. They could call it a Mac mini pro.

Also, if you desire a larger, faster 3.5 inch drive in your mini you could remove the current drive, plug in an eSATA cable and run it out of the box (not sure where it could exit) and into a one of MacPower M9 SATA enclosure.

The Mini already has the following for expansion: Bluetooth, Ethernet, FireWire, USB, and Wi-Fi. I can't imagine what you need on a Mini that can't be accomodated by one of these. If you must have better video, which must be connected directly to the bus, or more fast disks, then the Mac Pro has PCI Express slots which will support these. There is no point, in my view, to making a Mini larger to accomodate a PCI card, although a slightly smaller and less expensive Mac Pro would be nice.
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: MacCube Concept Reply with quote

admin wrote:
MacCube Concept
Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Japanese designer Isamu Sanada has created yet another interesting Mac concept. ...

So let us know what you think! Is this concept the Mac mini tower of your dreams?

This is another bit of silliness that illustrates what results when designers take precedence over engineers, rather than vice versa. Designs such as the Mac Cube (and its predecessor, the original NeXT) were cubes not because that is a good shape for a computer, but merely because of someone's obsession with simple geometric forms. This is the sort of thinking that leads the "PoMo" architects to put square windows on buildings, or worse, design things like the Portland Building, architecture's equivalent of the NeXT (or Cube) computer.

The best designs result when "form follows function," for computers as for everything else.
diddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: MacCube Concept Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:

The best designs result when "form follows function," for computers as for everything else.

Well to a certain extent, yes it does. There are mitigating factors that determine design. If the design is too complex to enable a reasonable say shipping system, then the item needs to be redesigned, not its function. It really should be practical form follows function.

That and it has to look appealing to the consumer. If people don't like how it looks, it isn't going to fly with the consumer. It has to be a good, practical form to work.

But thats pretty obvious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: