123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Debating on a Mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kritoke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Debating on a Mini Reply with quote

Greetings,

I have been lurking the forms for a few weeks trying to figure out if I should make the full plunge into macdom. I myself have always been a PC user, from the DOS days up until about Windows 2000. Past 4 or 5 years I have become a Linux user. The thing that kind of threw me into the Mac fold was getting an internship in an advertising department. It took some getting used to, but I kind of have started getting addicted to OS X. With Linux, I had a lot of the arguments that Mac folks use (more secure, no viruses, no spyware, etc). I don't know if it is the shiny interface or what blinding me, but I just miss the consistency and polish of the system (plus it actually works, though linux is improving in that way, but still has some room for growth).

Anyway, onto my questions. Do the mini's now come with Tiger preinstalled or does one have to do that 10 dollar uptodate program? Are there really a lot of features that are limited through using a mini vs a iMac/G5/FasterG4/etc? I really worry about taking apart the system to do upgrades, I have done computer upgrades for many years, but with such a small and delicate system, I don't want to screw it up by doing the putty knife magic wrong. Is it really worth it to go to 1GB vs 512mb? I am tempted to just let Apple install the new memory chip if its 512, though it shows a delay of 2 weeks or so. I really am on a limited budget, so I am trying to figure out how best to get something that runs decently and doesn't break the bank too much. I am probably going to end up doing some kind of enclosure thing for one of my pc hard drives, anyone got a good recommendation on a firewire enclosure that isn't outrageously priced? I think that about does it, hope it wasn't too wordy or long.

Kritoke
DoFa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd strongly recommend you get the base model 1.25Ghz and do the 1Ghz upgrade yorself. $80 will get you a 1GB chip these days and the upgrade takes 5 minutes. Watch the video from macsales.com and I think you find it to be pretty easy.

In regards to Tiger. It would be pretty impossible to find a mini with Panther only still in the box. Either you'll get Tiger preinstalled or it wil have Panther on it and a 10.4 tossed in. But by now most will have Tiger preinstalled since 10.4 has been out for almost 2 months.
slickrick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mini will come pre-installed with Tiger if you buy it directly from Apple.
MacPredict.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slickrick wrote:
Your mini will come pre-installed with Tiger if you buy it directly from Apple.

Might be true now, but until very recently some were shipping with 10.3 and a Tiger DVD in the box. So no rebate program, but you have to install Tiger yourself.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kritoke,

Since you are a linux user, I've got just the thing to get you REALLY excited about the prospect of running an OS X system...Check this website out: http://www.darwinports.org

Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brendan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kritoke wrote:
Greetings,

I don't know if it is the shiny interface or what blinding me, but I just miss the consistency and polish of the system (plus it actually works, though linux is improving in that way, but still has some room for growth).

Go for it. I use the Mac as my main machine now for those reasons. It coexists just fine with my Linux boxes. The form factor is great. If you find you don't like it, install YDL on it and you haven't lost a thing.

http://yellowdoglinux.com

Last edited by Brendan on Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
Go for it. I use the Mac as my main machine now. It coexists just fine with my Linux boxes. The form factor is great. If you find you don't like it, install YDL on it and you haven't lost a thing.

http://yellowdoglinux.com

Exactly my feeling when I bought the mini. Worst case scenero, I have a cute little Linux box. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brendan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am debating on getting another to run linux on and get back some floor space in my den.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
I am debating on getting another to run linux on and get back some floor space in my den.

In all seriousness, if you are considering a second mini to run Linux on...I might just wait and get one of the new AOpen mini systems. I believe that is what I will do.
Brendan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thought had crossed the vast space between my ears. Then I would have to join the 123AOpen forum Wink Depends on price. I am not that thrilled with the Pentium M chips. The laptops we order at work have them and they seem sluggish (with XP at least) for new machines.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
I am not that thrilled with the Pentium M chips. The laptops we order at work have them and they seem sluggish (with XP at least) for new machines.

OF COURSE THEY SEEM SLUGGISH WITH XP!! Smile

Actually, with 1 GB of ram and fresh install, even XP should be fairly snappy on a current Pentium-M chip. (might be all the crap that the vendor installs WITH XP)
Brendan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ran more sluggish than comparable desktops. We rarely put 1G in a desktop. I guess a more efficient OS would make up for any performance loss.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
It ran more sluggish than comparable desktops. I guess a more efficient OS would make up for any performance loss.

I had a Inspiron 8600 (Dell) for a while and it ran quite well. (Pentium-M) Was a VERY nice linux machine for me.
Brendan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i'll have to revisit the issue . . . Embarassed
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
I had a Inspiron 8600 (Dell) for a while and it ran quite well. (Pentium-M) Was a VERY nice linux machine for me.

Of course, I also still LOVE my Ultra5 and K6-2 systems...so what do I know about speed? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: