123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best external firewire enclosure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Best external firewire enclosure? Reply with quote

I have a second drive in my old Dell (250GB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda). Since I've given the Dell to my kids, that second drive which I used to use for video editing is going to go to waste. I'm thinking about pulling it out of the Dell and putting it in an external firewire drive enclosure for my Mini.

I'm looking for a firewire enclosure that is small, small, small and quiet (i.e. no fan noise). Any suggestions?

Also, a dumb question... Having never used an external drive enclosure...what happens when you shut-down the Mini? Will the drive shut-down or go into a sleep mode or do you have to physically turn it on and off along with the Mini?
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, a dumb question... Having never used an external drive enclosure...what happens when you shut-down the Mini? Will the drive shut-down or go into a sleep mode or do you have to physically turn it on and off along with the Mini?

You'll have to physically turn off an on the drive. Before shutting down you should eject the drive or drag it to the trash. The M9 enclosure that matches the Mac mini has a "Smart Power Switch" that will supposedly turn off and on in tandem with the mini. Some people are saying the M9 if vaporware. Confused
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
DoFa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend a LaCie D2. Very high build quility. It sleeps and wakes up nicely. It does have a small fan that is very quiet.

You can get them from the lacie.com outlet for cheap. Buy one and sell your 250gb drive or swap yours into it.

Most cheap fanless firewire cases get too hot for daily use. The drives have short lives when they cook in little fanless cases. Plus the drives don't sleep properly in cheap cases. LaCie is the standard bearer for external cases these days.

http://www.lacie.com/products/clearance/products/?id=10007

Or wait for the M9 mini styled USB/Firewire Hub enclosure to become available next month.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/305.html
jase

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Rosewill external enclosure I picked up from Newegg that I'm extremely happy with. It's almost entirely aluminum, and has no internal fans, so it'll be as quiet as whatever hard drive you put in it. Stays pretty cool too.

It also looks sharp, almost like a mini G5.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817173003

I'm really happy with it.
leftplay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Rosewill case has the best look I've seen. Two questions. What's the largest HD you can put in it? I assume it's 400GB. And have you noticed any heat problems? If you have a SMART HD what's the temp reading on it during regular use? Thanks.
slickrick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price ain't bad either!
jase

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leftplay wrote:
That Rosewill case has the best look I've seen. Two questions. What's the largest HD you can put in it? I assume it's 400GB. And have you noticed any heat problems? If you have a SMART HD what's the temp reading on it during regular use? Thanks.

I couldn't tell ya what the temp reading is. System Profiler says SMART status isn't supported, though why that is, I'm not sure. Seems like the drive ought to be new enough. It's a MAXTOR 160GB, 7200RPM, 8MB cache drive.

The case gets lukewarm, but never any warmer than that. I don't have any heat concerns.

Rosewill's site says it will support up to 300gb drives. I'm not sure why it wouldn't support larger drives. Is the Oxford chipset limited to 300gb drives?

All the details on it can be found at:

http://www.rosewill.com/product/product.aspx?productId=80
DoFa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weren't 300GB were the largest IDE drive made about 6 months ago? If so they couldn't test it on anything larger at the time, so they listed 300GB as the limit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: