123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This new Apple Addiction is destroying my life...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: This new Apple Addiction is destroying my life... Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Well the United States is different... practically everyone is in some form of debt..

That was my point Wink the UK is no different.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
Raid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Yeah, but there are a TON of things that people don't need... but still buy.

Yes, but rarely when they already have something that does the job they want it to.

And yes, there's a genuinely frightening amount of personal debt in the UK.
thcobbs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally what I do is this for upgrading:

- Get all hot an bothered about some new item.
- Spec out and quote the cost of it
- (this is the hard part) Save up the money for it
- When I reach that point, I see what I can get for my money.
gdog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: 17 inch Reply with quote

anybody here want a perfect 4 mos old 17 inch i mac with 2 gigs ram (apple) so i can buy a 24 inch. Twisted Evil
macbook 2 ghz, 2 gig ram
i got 99 problems but a bitch aint one
subaruwrx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, mac jonesing has been fixed!!

I just bought a MacBook!!!
Squonk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: This new Apple Addiction is destroying my life... Reply with quote

subaruwrx wrote:
I spent half of my day at work checking my finances and contemplating a way to pay for the 24.

Keep on like that for long and it'll be a whole lot longer before you'll be able to afford the 24"er Laughing
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Hold On Reply with quote

@subaruwrx and other members who have posted replies to this topic.
Almost all of you guys are right and justified in your opinions. However, I'd like to add my viewpoint here. I am suffering from the same illness as subruwrx currently is. Believe it or not, during the past one year or more I almost bought and sold three mac minis of different kinds. Switching from PPC to Intel made some sense but not completely justified. Similarly, bought and sold two Apple Cinema Displays 20" and 23". Furthermore, right now I am on a 17" iMac (Intel) bought almost 2 months back and I am already drooling over the 24". Thank God I read this post as a result of which I now realize what a goof I am. I hate myself for having done so and in the process have lost so much valuable hard earned money which could have found some useful slot. It seems as if I get blindfolded when these new things come out and my ability to think and assess as well as sense of proportion and judgement all just dump me in the dark. Why? Well, as one of the members pointed out, this happens when i start drifting away from my actual work and start reading ads, visiting apple stores and comparing 100MHz worth of processor speed bumps. Believe me, i forget what I am using if its a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo based mac when it comes to real world usage like photo editing, emails, word processing/presentations or burning CD/DVD.
Its time we better prioritize and start saving and get out of debts. People here are using PIII based PCs or PPC G4 happily. They simply say "works for me".
So i am pretty comfy with my 17" now Core Duo. And I just forgot to mention that all I do is compile a photo collection from my digital camera, surf the web, email/chat and word processing.
Greentimbers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saving for a Mac Pro now Cool
Another $1000.00 to go and it's out the door for my mini's.

One of them anyways, the boss gets to keep the intel mini. Laughing

Folding on a Intel Mini
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the 24" iMac came out it's like Apple indication that there's a completely new coming soon as i found out with the G4 iMacs.
A 20" one came out the a few months later the G5s appeared.
- iPod Touch 8GB

Visit www.thebigapples.net Very Happy Podcasts, Videos & more Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bibamus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, consumerism. I am hooked too.
I have a perfectly good Mac Mini PPC 1.42, but I have just bought a new 20"iMac ( Should come today, yippee, but, Oh my God, should I have gone for the 24, it seems a popular bit of kit on here)
And, gone are the days of fixing things when they go wrong ( or are perceived to be faulty), we just use it as an excuse to buy the latest model as a replacement.
Sat Nav`s have replaced maps. 10 years ago, I drove all over the UK and Europe using maps, now I darent go out the house without my Sat Nav in case I get lost!
I`m just trying to convince myself that my garden is big enough to warrant the purchase of a ride on lawnmower. Then I will need a shed to put it in, not one of those wooden ones, a nice new 20ft Yardmaster with sliding doors and rooflights, then I`ll have enough room for that huge motorbike that at my age, I need, to look cool / young again. Then I`ll need some photos of it to send to my friends, I wonder if that digital SLR I bought last month will be good enough to show all the detail properly and are those new cars with 12 airbags going to keep my family safer than mine with just 6..............................................

Allan Confused
Redshift Spec

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Tell me about destroying my life, i've not even had my first mac yet and i've already planned my purchases for the next future

January 2X IBM 20" moniters

Febuary New processor

March or april Leopard

May more ram :p

I'm not gonna have a life.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to convince myself to not buy a C2D MacBook Pro to replace my current CD MBP. I think the possibility of a trip to Europe this spring is curtailing that want though.
ugp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A famous econmist said "Human needs are limited, human wants are unlimited" (Adam West) I think.

Anyway, I have a MBP CD, so I dont need another computer but I want the mini as a DVD player and I need an external HDD. So I can understand why and can buy it. After the mini, I am saving to buy the 17" MacBook Pro C2D. Even though I have a great MBP now. So I understand but don't get in debt for something you don't need.

The way I see it if you need something like a house or a car, get in debt without it you would be well screwed. If you don't need it save and buy it. And like you said you dont need the imac 24 so save and buy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: