123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This new Apple Addiction is destroying my life...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
subaruwrx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: This new Apple Addiction is destroying my life... Reply with quote

No one told me that when I switched to Macs I would now have this horrible upgrade compulsion problem.

I have a barely 3 month old 17" iMac Intel and it does everything I need it to do. I love it in fact! I hate Windows so much that I gave my old WinPC to my Grandma hoping she will break it. My iMac is awesome!

But now I see this new 24" iMac and suddenly my 17" is not good enough. What is wrong with me? Am I that much of a consumer whore? That thing would be sweeeeeet. I spent half of my day at work checking my finances and contemplating a way to pay for the 24.

Do others have this problem? What do you do to stop it? When does the cycle end?

I know if I buy the 24" then the 30" iMac will come out in all black and then I'll have to sell plasma....

HELP ME!!
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: This new Apple Addiction is destroying my life... Reply with quote

subaruwrx wrote:
I hate Windows so much that I gave my old WinPC to my Grandma hoping she will break it.
I'm sorry.. but.. you are evil to do such a thing to a lil' ol' lady. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
subaruwrx wrote:
No one told me that when I switched to Macs I would now have this horrible upgrade compulsion problem....... But now I see this new 24" iMac and suddenly my 17" is not good enough. What is wrong with me? Am I that much of a consumer whore? That thing would be sweeeeeet. I spent half of my day at work checking my finances and contemplating a way to pay for the 24.
Much to the dismay of Apple, maybe we should start AA meetings (Appleholics anonymous).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all part of being a Mac addict. Not one month after I bought my mini did an upgrade come out. It's part of it, just stick with your 17 and if you really, really need that extra workspace, get a mini DVI adapter and have a dual monitor display.
gdog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: 24 Reply with quote

i,m with you - my 17 imac is great but i plan to get the 24 inch in a few weeks. i bought a macbook 2 weeks ago. so go ahead, help the economy. maybe buy some apple stock too. Twisted Evil
macbook 2 ghz, 2 gig ram
i got 99 problems but a bitch aint one
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop browsing forums, viewing the Apple website, stop watching commercials, stop looking at billboards and cancel your internet connection
Smile .

I think you have to be realistic about your upgrade cycles. For some it's every 4 years, for others it's every 2 years. Some like to buy products at the end of their product lifecycle.

For me I get a new computer about every 2 years. Even though I desire to have something new a little sooner. I can wait.

I'll be looking a new unit when Leopard ships.

Start saving for you new model right away. By the time your cycle comes up, you'll have enough money to buy a new system without going into debt.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I think you have to be realistic about your upgrade cycles. For some it's every 4 years, for others it's every 2 years. Some like to buy products at the end of their product lifecycle.

BB makes a lot of sense. I find that I have to talk myself down after every new Apple product announcment. And, as many know here, I am not always successful. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to these guys; sell your 17" to your grandma. Laughing

One way to minimize upgrade fever is to not buy an iMac or any unit with an attached monitor. Then you have the option to feed your frenzy by just buying a new monitor. Works for me.
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: This new Apple Addiction is destroying my life... Reply with quote

subaruwrx wrote:
No one told me that when I switched to Macs I would now have this horrible upgrade compulsion problem.

I'm sure we all know it. I thought I'd upgrade but the performance diff doesn't look to large at the moment. In your case I'd get a Dell 24" monitor and extend your desktop - great compromise Wink

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
Raid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: This new Apple Addiction is destroying my life... Reply with quote

subaruwrx wrote:
Do others have this problem? What do you do to stop it?

Just remember how much these things cost, think about what you could buy with the money you'd otherwise waste on a computer you don't need. If your current iMac does everything you want and need, for goodness sakes close the apple shop tab.

A new mac isn't going to do anything more than your current one. Wait until the next OS is launched and then buy that instead if you really must.

I can't fathom why people keep throwing money at apple. They make some nice products, of course (though frankly their iPods don't deserve the market share they have), but they don't deserve your money any more than Microsoft or Dell do. They make tools to serve a purpose, and once that purpose is filled, why do you need to give them more?
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: This new Apple Addiction is destroying my life... Reply with quote

Raid wrote:
I can't fathom why people keep throwing money at apple. They make some nice products, of course (though frankly their iPods don't deserve the market share they have), but they don't deserve your money any more than Microsoft or Dell do. They make tools to serve a purpose, and once that purpose is filled, why do you need to give them more?
Eh... but some can argue, especially on this site, that Apple makes better products than Dell or Microsoft.... (at least preference wise)..
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: This new Apple Addiction is destroying my life... Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Eh... but some can argue, especially on this site, that Apple makes better products than Dell or Microsoft.... (at least preference wise)..

But that's not Raid's point. It is simply if your present computer does all that you need then you don't need to buy another. Sensible. But not all the elements of a purchasing decision come down to that which is sensible.

Raid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: This new Apple Addiction is destroying my life... Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Raid wrote:

I wouldn't dare suggest otherwise on a mac fansite. My point is that a computer is not a subscription service, and that there's no need to continue paying apple for things you don't need.

But yes, as Tenex says, desire is another big point of a purchase like this, you just can't let that be your driving force for something as expensive as a new computer unless you have a lot of spare cash.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but there are a TON of things that people don't need... but still buy.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: This new Apple Addiction is destroying my life... Reply with quote

Raid wrote:
But yes, as Tenex says, desire is another big point of a purchase like this, you just can't let that be your driving force for something as expensive as a new computer unless you have a lot of spare cash.

It's surprising how many people do not pause to take account of the absence of spare cash when making a purchasing decision!

Isn't consumerism well ....so consumerist? Wink

SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: This new Apple Addiction is destroying my life... Reply with quote

Well the United States is different... practically everyone is in some form of debt..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: