123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OSX tips and tricks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: OSX tips and tricks Reply with quote

example:

If I were to mistype:

"The" Te quick brown fox

How do I fill in the "h" and return to the end of my sentence without using the arrow keys?

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ninjamini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great question bill. I use home, end page up, page down, ctrl C. X. V...alot.

How about to shut a program.

Anyone have a mac shortcut chart? How about how to close a program? this top left cornner click move down, click thing has to go. I need a keyboard shortcut.

Bill man, we'll figure this out.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out the answer to my question.
command "right arrow" to go to the end of a line.
You can remap the "end" key if you wish

p.s.
command "left arrow" to go to the beginning of a line.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some shortcut that I use all the time now to switch applications and to quit apps also. See the last one tip at the bottom in bold

Command-Tab is one of the coolest things in Mac OS X. Holding down the Command Key and hitting Tab brings up a nice visual of all your running applications and you keep hitting the Tab key until you cycle to the application you want to switch to. Once it highlights you can let go of the Command Key to switch to that app. That's cool and that's how it works on the surface, but there are all kinds of hidden techniques behind this feature:

hitting Command-Shift-Tab cycles you backwards through the list of open apps.

Holding down Command and hitting the Tab key brings up the bar and using your mouse you can hover over the app you want to switch to and letting go of the Command Key to switch to it quickly without having to cycle through the ones in between.

While holding down the Command key and hitting Tab to cycle to a particular app, hitting the "H" key will hide that app without switching to it

While holding down the Command key and hitting Tab to cycle to a particular app, hitting the "Q" key will quit that app

There are a couple of other cool Mac OS tips here http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=405&highlight= that I posted a while back for Panther but mostly still work for Tiger.
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.

I like how "command Q" not only closes the window but it closes the application. Unlike closing the window with the mouse and the X.

Is there a way to get OSX to close the application if you've closed the last window with the mouse and the X? This is something that Windows does. I see no reason to keep the application running if all windows are closed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: