123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple to release iTV in Q1 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about pass-through, the description sounds more like it's just another input to whatever A/V receiver or switch box or whatever you already have. Now, if you don't have one and are out of ports...

Doug
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as the owner of two MacMini's that live under TV's i am both extremely pleased about this new iTV and also a little hacked off..

One thing i want to know is what the USB socket is for...

Oh yeah, [off topic] but there is an updated Frontrow on software update.. Changes a couple of menus and changes the itunes icon blue..
Dace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't they have integrated iTV into the iPod??

If you think about it:

A) iPod already has all your music . photos and movies so no need to stream them

B) Just create a dock with hdmi output and wireless/wired capabalities

C) When you plug the ipod into the dock a new menu would be added so you could access trailers and content from other apple computers present in the house...and why not iptv and internet radio

I just find itv a little pointless at this moment

Also, put a card reader on the ipod dock i was mentioning..that way u can view new photos and either upload them to your ipod or send them one of the computer

Well call it the Mediadock and sell it for 50$ plus the ipod video at 250$ = total of 300$

This is what i think would be ideal...so I'm disappointed with itv..its like the disfigured siamese twin of the ipod. Does it even come with a hd?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
I'm guessing they want to use the announcement to put some pressure on someone. Say, a few recalcitrant movie studios?

Smile

Jamie

I think you are right on the mark. There had to be some pressure from the movie studios. I mean you don’t want to ruffle their feathers before the give you the flicks. I can't wait to buy one of these down the road. Apple may have just saved me from buying another Mac for my plasma. Now all I need is iTV and a copy of Leopard.
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without PVR functionality it won't do much for me, but I love the design and we must all remember 2 things as we discuss this...

1. This is a prototype and I believe it was floated to the public today to guage reaction and gather feedback...

2. You probably didn't see nearly all the iTV could do today, and a lot of what you didn't see is likely to entice more studios to offer movies on iTunes.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacWaffler wrote:
Without PVR functionality it won't do much for me, but I love the design and we must all remember 2 things as we discuss this...

1. This is a prototype and I believe it was floated to the public today to guage reaction and gather feedback...

2. You probably didn't see nearly all the iTV could do today, and a lot of what you didn't see is likely to entice more studios to offer movies on iTunes.

#1 is a given, but I never thought about your theory in #2. The movie studios really hold all the cards here, so it might of done Apple some good to show they want to move this off the desktop and into the living room. No one has done that with great success to this point.
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I wish it had PVR capability, but give me a reason to quit buying DVDs and I might just.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the looks of iTV's UI. I hope Apple incorporates some of those transitions and effects into Front Row 2.0. The ability to play Video_TS would be nice too. I'm not sure if I'll be buying the iTV when it comes out though. My Mac mini is, for the most part, doing everything that iTV promises to deliver. Plus I can surf the net, check email and watch DVDs. I think Front Row and Media Central are going to have me covered for a while. At least until the price of iTV comes down to $199. Laughing
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be pretty cool if they allowed for add-ons or something, like a special port to daisy-chain PVRs and DVD players and have one hot looking Apple media center....

The USB Port is obviously for an iPod, not a HD, because why would they opt for USB unless it was for the USB-only iPod?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
It would be pretty cool if they allowed for add-ons or something, like a special port to daisy-chain PVRs and DVD players and have one hot looking Apple media center....

The USB Port is obviously for an iPod, not a HD, because why would they opt for USB unless it was for the USB-only iPod?

My guess would be to be able to connect an iPod dock to the whole setup, and "iTV" can get content from both wired network, wireless network and iPod. Probably even external USB 2 drives (if it can work with iPods, it should work with external drives, IMO).
agruenebaum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: trained monkeys Reply with quote

Raid wrote:
I believe a lightly trained monkey would be able to handle frontrow

Sorry but my wife and kids (5 - 9 years old) are not able to switch on the macmini and using frontrow or even eyeTV on their own. Though I haven't been able to train our monkey so far.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB port for:

--A networked printer (this is, after all, a glorified AirPort)?

--The aforementioned iPod/dock?

--A third-party DVR device of your choice? (As much as I'd like the solution to come from Apple, I think a PVR is off-strategy for them. They'd rather sell you the content than give you a built-in way to get it for free. But they may not block you from doing it yourself.)

--An external hard drive? (Doesn't make sense to me, if the computer is supposed to be the storage device.)

Just some ideas. I don't have a clue as to their intent, and neither does anyone else outside the infinite loop (sorry, bad pun).

Engadget mentioned that they weren't allowed to drill down into settings menus during their hands-on demo, so who knows what specs and settings are lurking down there.

I have a dumb question, though. Is my G4 mini with AirPort Express built-in going to support the new higher-speed 802.11n standard? Or will I have to upgrade that card to use this gizmo? I don't want to have to buy a new mini AND an iTV.

But I probably would Razz

Smile

Jamie
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
I have a dumb question, though. Is my G4 mini with AirPort Express built-in going to support the new higher-speed 802.11n standard? Or will I have to upgrade that card to use this gizmo? I don't want to have to buy a new mini AND an iTV.

I'd assume you'd need a new airport card inside your Mac mini, if Apple releases an upgrade at all.

You could go the wired route, the "iTV" has an ethernet port, after all. That's how I plan to use mine, anyway.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then the iTV box wouldn't work with anyone's computer, as everything now is a max of 802.11g? I'm missing something here, obviously. Apple isn't going to release a wireless video product that isn't backwards compatible with older Macs to some extent.

Confused

Jamie
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you asking if it works as a pass-though device, watch the Keynote. Steve said select #4 or whatever other video input you're connect to on your television.

As with the original Airport Express. People will find multiple uses for iTV other than its intended purpose. If it doesn't do for you what it was not intended to do, then don't buy it.

I personally think this is going to be a fantastic product. For the most part people want the "content" in their living rooms. Not the hardware (computer, TiVo box, DVD player, a box of DVD's, a rats nest of cables and power bars, 5 remote controls etc.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: