123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long until mini gets updated?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know you needed a G5 for H.264 to work. So the eMac is hooped too?

I'm just downloading Quicktime 7.0.2a38 for Windows. I'll let you know if the Keynote looks any better after installation.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a difference. I have never seen such an improvemnt in Quciktime.. The audio is crystal clear and so is the video is much better. I can display full screen (1024X768 controls still at bottom) with clarity. No I did not download Quicktime Pro. Before I was only able to get about 1/2 screen before it go grainy.
Sorry for going off topic.

Wow!!!
Way to go Apple!!!
sth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fx5200 or ATI 9600 might be possible inside a Mini:

- Apple manages to squeeze those chips into the PowerBooks (a 12" powerbook has less space inside than a mini)
- ATI could have switched the production process to 0.11nm or even 0.09nm
- They might use a downclocked version of the 9600 (as seen in many x86 notebooks)
- I have a passive cooled fx5200 here inside a small htpc-system and even when running games, the cooler can still be touched without burning your skin.

Furthermore, the 9200 (and maybe the fx5200 as well) might go out of production soon (the current low-end products are the X300/X300HM for ATI and 6200/6200TC/MX4000).

No matter how: Apple needs to update the mini (and the iBook) to a core-image compatible graphics-card and I'm sure they'll do so in the next round of upgrades.

My guess on the next mini update:
- The old 1.25ghz model might be upgraded to 1.42ghz
- The old 1.42ghz model will be upgraded to 1.5ghz or 1.67ghz
- Gfx-card will be updated to a fx5200*
- Standard RAM update to 512mb but maybe only for the bigger model

*since Apple seems to move away a bit from nvidia cards, they might really use a downclocked 9600 to match the other product lines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: