123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: memory Reply with quote

cmegens wrote:
Has anybody noticed that the memory upgrade has become cheaper? And has anybody noticed that apple left out the SO-Dimm information? Do you guys think they just left it out on the website, and will there be the SO-dimms in there as we are used too, or could they have changed to normal memory?

I doubt if there is any difference at all. This does not appear to be an actual revision of the Mini entailing a new system board. They have done nothing except accommodate the new processor and disk options, neither of which requires revision to the system board.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
.. you said it! Wink

The 24" iMac is $2565 in the UK store.
Yup, you guys pay, so we don't have to Very Happy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: memory Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
I doubt if there is any difference at all. This does not appear to be an actual revision of the Mini entailing a new system board. They have done nothing except accommodate the new processor and disk options, neither of which requires revision to the system board.
Exactly.. that would cost them more money to change something like that.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the entry-level mini is a much better deal now. Let's face it, the Core Solos were a little weak with video. The lack of upgrades in the top-end mini on the other hand is a complete disappointment. They should have at least upgraded the hard drive to 100GB. With the way prices have fallen for the Core Duo chips over the last two months Apple could of and should of have done much better.
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
They should have at least upgraded the hard drive to 100GB.

It looks like Hitachi may not offer the 100 GB option in the latest drives with perpendicular recording. You have build-to-order options of 120 GB and 160 GB, which should be enough, in my opinion.

If all you are saying is that you want more for the same money, my response is that if you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:

If all you are saying is that you want more for the same money, my response is that if you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it.

The entry-level Mac mini is well worth the money. At the top end it gets little more questionable, but it's not like I'm going to run out and buy an iMac. I hate those darn AIO's with a passion!

Here's what I would do…
1. Buy an entry-level Mac mini.
2. Crack that baby open.
3. Put in 2GB RAM.
4. Put in a 120GB hard drive.
5. Put in a SuperDrive.
6. Enjoy! Very Happy
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Why not 160? Reply with quote

devo wrote:
247 Photography wrote:

The entry-level Mac mini is well worth the money. At the top end it gets little more questionable, but it's not like I'm going to run out and buy an iMac. I hate those darn AIO's with a passion!

Here's what I would do…
1. Buy an entry-level Mac mini.
2. Crack that baby open.
3. Put in 2GB RAM.
4. Put in a 120GB hard drive.
5. Put in a SuperDrive.
6. Enjoy! :D

I don't see anything wrong with that, except:

1. why not go for the 160 GB disk?
2. I would use an external DVD writer, and have a backup for reading.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Why not 160? Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:

1. why not go for the 160 GB disk?

The 160GB 2.5" drives are still a little new and on the expensive side. I think the 120GB models represent the sweet spot. To be honest, it really doesn't matter what computer you buy. Sooner or later you're going to need more storage with an external drive. The RAM is the key.

247 Photography wrote:

2. I would use an external DVD writer, and have a backup for reading.

There's nothing wrong with that! You just need something for burning those Popcorn movies. Wink
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with an external DVD writer. But it kind of hinges on how much space you have or how much clutter you are willing to deal with.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Why not 160? Reply with quote

devo wrote:
To be honest, it really doesn't matter what computer you buy. Sooner or later...

I find no matter what I buy sooner or later my itch cycle needs to be scratched. It's about every two years that I buy a new system. I usually buy somewhat entry level systems though as I know I will usually replace them in a couple of years. I find dollar/technology wise I end up ahead.

ie
entry level = $1000
top of the line = $3000 (don't bother quoting a fully speced out system)

so every 4 years I'm spending around $2000
What is entry level in 2 years is usually bigger/better than the $3000 system from 2 years previous.

However what I am finding happening more often now is I am running out of drive space. With so much video/audio content, bittorrent etc. I am usually having to delete items to make room for new stuff. I don't have a DVD burner (I'll get one with my new system) however I really want to get away from DVD's and CD's forever, I hate the space they take up. Having them lying around etc.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Why not 160? Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
[However what I am finding happening more often now is I am running out of drive space. With so much video/audio content, bittorrent etc. I am usually having to delete items to make room for new stuff. I don't have a DVD burner (I'll get one with my new system) however I really want to get away from DVD's and CD's forever, I hate the space they take up. Having them lying around etc.
Yeah, I'm already looking for another external hard drive myself. I keep telling people that 60GB doesn't really cut it anymore (for intermediate to advanced stuff). Some people even gawk at the 2TB max storage in the Mac Pro. But really though, files are getting bigger and bigger. To think that a HD movie (still compressed) is around 15-25GB. While a complete uncompressed HD movie is about 2TB.
I mean take a look at how much space those Garageband packs take.

But I guess if all you do is type papers, surf the internet and check email. It can be alright. I still think more and more people are going to continue to keep using computers for all of their scrapbooks, etc. Keep all their movies, photos and music. That takes up a lot of space eventually.

You know what would be crazy.... a Mac mini that is only a little bit longer and higher to accommodate a 3.5" hard drive. Wait until those new 3.5" 1TB hard drives come out and slam that puppy in there.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Nothing wrong with an external DVD writer. But it kind of hinges on how much space you have or how much clutter you are willing to deal with.

This is constantly the trade-off. I think for the sake of a couple of inches Apple should expand the case and use 3.5" drives.

You can take this form thing too far.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Why not 160? Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
However what I am finding happening more often now is I am running out of drive space. With so much video/audio content, bittorrent etc. I am usually having to delete items to make room for new stuff. I don't have a DVD burner (I'll get one with my new system) however I really want to get away from DVD's and CD's forever, I hate the space they take up. Having them lying around etc.

I started burning TV series to DVD to free up the HDD but despite being able to get 4Gb on a disc they still mount up. That said of the stuff I've archived there's very little I've had time to rewatch so that would otherwise be completely wasted disk space- used but unaccessed.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
slickrick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm surprised to see so many people down on Apple offering a Core Duo mini for $599. I still think the Mac mini is still one hell of a computer for the money. I have two of them and think they are probably the best Macs I've ever owned.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slickrick wrote:
Wow, I'm surprised to see so many people down on Apple offering a Core Duo mini for $599. I still think the Mac mini is still one hell of a computer for the money. I have two of them and think they are probably the best Macs I've ever owned.
We're not so much putting down the Mac mini itself, than we are the fact they could have put in a Core 2 Duo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: