123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CcAgan wrote:
Disk capacity to fill my needs
RAM to meet my basic multitasking needs (firefox, ichat, itunes, widgets, bittorrent managing 300 inbound connections)
The processor power to not lag behind in these tasks
And a DVD burner to make a damn backup or burn a video to DVD

All things you list can easily be handled by the first Core Duo mini and the current speed bumped model. Core2 Duo is going to buy you very little power with those task so the CPU upgarde is irrelevant. You just can't get what you want for $599.

I do all the stuff you list (and more) on my 20" ACD with 1GB RAM no sweat (although I don't run much bittorrent). Disk capactiy will always be an issue with laptop drives and I don't think we can expect Apple to shove in a high capacity drive for free, although I agree their size premiums are a bit much.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
iBookmaster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 inch display Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
It's interesting that the Mini still does not support the large (30") display. Should we expect a new system to be announced on the 12th which will?

I'm with you on that one. Although a 23 or 24" display is a very nice size. Also if Apple could put in a 7200 rpm hard drive, it would be a nicer experience. Still, I am very pleased with the upgrades today. I'd rather see Apple make smaller incremental updates than wait a year or more for larger more meaningful upgrades. It lets the buyer have the latest available.
heulenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 inch display Reply with quote

[quote="iBookmaster"]
247 Photography wrote:
I'd rather see Apple make smaller incremental updates than wait a year or more for larger more meaningful upgrades. It lets the buyer have the latest available.

Ditto on that. I'm actually surprised to see Apple upgrade the Mini at all at this point. I guess its hard to convince people to write apps optimized for multiple cores if you've still got single-core processors in your product lineup. Keep upgrading!
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To even sell an entry level home computer with out a DVD writer at this point in the game is....dumb. I'm very happy with my current setup. It would take alot for me to dump my current mini. Personally Apple could name it's price and I'd happily pay it. Warranty, quality products, I'm stoked to be an Mac owner!!!!!
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CcAgan wrote:
a) who would want to cap disk capacity?

Apple, they use 2.5" drives to maintain the form factor.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
macfox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am with the majority who are disappointed with this upgrade. It should have been the Merom Core 2 Duo chip running at 1.66 GHz to 1.83 Ghz if the 2.0 Ghz is too hot.

This minor upgrade helps with the speed, maxed out at 1.83, however, the 1.66 option, does not allow you to configure a DVD Burner.
max

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: L processors Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
max wrote:
I don't really understand why the top spec Mac Mini requires the L2500 processor.

All of the intel Minis have come with L processors, which are rated at half the power (15W) of the T processors.

I don't know that. Thanks for the information. I'm glad that you made the observation and I'm glad that I demonstrated my ignorance as I'm a little wiser now (though there's still a long way to go).
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reasonable... Reply with quote

...I think they were reasonable updates. Eventually they will have to shift to Merom, but the performance difference really isn't THAT great for general use, from what I have read. It's nice that user's get dual core all around. Also... My mini with it's 2.0 code duo is still on top of the game. Very Happy Heh!

As for the big announcement, I keep seeing speculation that the phone will be announced?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CcAgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
CcAgan wrote:

I have never seen any one state that you can not connect a drive larger than 160GB to a macmini. I have not see a maximum capacity listed in the specs of the macmini. Let’s face it, 2.5" disk design and updates are LAST in line in this disk drive industry. 1.8" drives have reached 120GB at this point, there will be a 1TB 3.5" drive out this year. Western Digital will have out a 10k RPM SATA2 3.5" drive out soon as well. SAS is taking off in servers and workstation hardware. The laptop disk drive is just in the slow lane. All be it, the last 12 months has seen more change than the last three years. Look at the jump in capacity, adopting SATA, and the higher RPM speeds. Why do you people want to argue this disk space issue? When has having too much disk space been a problem?

If apple and its users are so "pro-innovation" and "pushing technology to the next level" then why the hell are you people suggesting things like setting disk capacity limits and not changing to a processor that meets or exceeds power and thermal requirements. Why are you not pro optical storage and pushing for DVD-RW in EVERTHING?

I came to be an apple user because I look at windows xp/2k/server 2k/2k3 5 days a week. I have to put up with windows updates and antivirus at work, and when I come home or go to the coffee shop or feel like being creative, I dont want to look at something that reminds me of work. And let me tell you, it was love at first iSight. (Like that one, cleaver one I am) I pine over the macpro, I am in awe of the simplicity of the iMac, and I freaking love the "less is more" approach of the mini. But I NEVER want to let style get in the way of function. So just keep the damn hardware current apple. I am with the person who said keep the hardware up today with several updates a year. Look at the iMac, third major change in 12 months. Look at the pro with DUAL Woodcrest. Granted I would love to see one with only a single proc, easier on the wallet to get started and then add the second proc down the road. Ok, I am off on a tangent here, but back to my point. Apple users/fan boys/die hards, don't be anti-progress.

Last edited by CcAgan on Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CcAgan wrote:
Tenex wrote:
CcAgan wrote:

Why do you people want to argue this disk space issue?

I guess you, since you are the one who just went on a rant?

CcAgan wrote:

If apple and its users are so "pro-innovation" and "pushing technology to the next level" then why the hell are you people suggesting things like setting disk capacity limits and not changing to a processor that meets or exceeds power and thermal requirements. Why are you not pro optical storage and pushing for DVD-RW in EVERTHING?

Because the costs go up? (whether that be real or artificial)

CcAgan wrote:

I am in awe of the simplicity of the iMac, and I freaking love the "less is more" approach of the mini. But I NEVER want to let style get in the way of function. So just keep the damn hardware current apple.

O.K. Then I guess a mini is not the right choice for you?

CcAgan wrote:

Apple users/fan boys/die hards, don't be anti-progress.

I doubt any of us are. I guess we are just satisfied sheep.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cmegens

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: memory Reply with quote

Has anybody noticed that the memory upgrade has become cheaper? And has anybody noticed that apple left out the SO-Dimm information? Do you guys think they just left it out on the website, and will there be the SO-dimms in there as we are used too, or could they have changed to normal memory?
danrel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone like me who lives on a fairly modest budget, not to mention my G4 mini went to hell, this lowering of the prices is a big deal for me. Sure more performance with a newer processor technology would be nice, but it's still a good deal for those of us looking for a fair mini upgrade from the G4 models. Who knows what the near future will hold though. Wink

MacBook Pro C2D(Penryn) 2.5GHz/ 4GB/ 250GB
Mac mini C2D 1.83GHz/ 2GB/ 80GB
eMac G4 1GHz/ 384MB/ 40GB/ AE
Airport Extreme 802.11 Draft N router
iPod Touch 8GB
G-Tech 320GB FW800/400 external drive
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: memory Reply with quote

cmegens wrote:
Has anybody noticed that the memory upgrade has become cheaper? And has anybody noticed that apple left out the SO-Dimm information? Do you guys think they just left it out on the website, and will there be the SO-dimms in there as we are used too, or could they have changed to normal memory?

Did not notice. That's interesting.
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "specs" on the Apple site say:

512MB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) on two DIMMs; supports up to 2GB.

Doug
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CcAgan wrote:
Why do you people want to argue this disk space issue? When has having too much disk space been a problem?

You really aren't reading replies, you are siezing on one or two details and then racing to post rebuttals. I never suggested disk capacity limits, only that your original complaint was flawed and offered it as a counter point. No one here doesn't want the Core 2 Duo in the mini, but it is ridiculous for you to insist that you "need" the minor horse power difference for the task you listed. There is a DVD-RW option if you want it, you act like it is being denied to all mini owners, you just have to spend more $$$ for it.

You keep talking about progress like the current mini is loaded with 4 year technology. You list a bunch of mundane task and complain about a lack of performance. You act like everyone runs 300 inbound torrent connections and that it is a necessity for Apple to address. And then you call anyone who disagrees with you a fan boy.

Simple rules of Apple sales and marketing. The line up will be clearly stratified to attract buyers at all price points. No hardware will be offered that doesn't make Apple a respectable margin, ever. All features will be met with just enough juice/power to satisfy the majority, and hopefully entice the most demanding and power hungry users to bump up to the next product category. Specialty needs will not be directly addressed with mainstream products, so gamers, torrent aggregators, hardcore video editors, etc.. will have to spend more with Apple. Apple never tries to directly compete with Dell or HP, who lack desirable products in the first place and engage in "race to the bottom" pricing strategies.

The current mini line up exceeds at it's purpose, to provide a solid OS X experience, support all the iLife features with performance to spare and provide a decent platform for light duty pro-sumer applications. It will see regular speed bumps, but will always be the last in line for the latest and greatest technology as it is an entry point and enthusiast product. The "cheap" mini will always be just shy of what most users want to crank you to that next dollar amount. This does not make it a bad PC, just not suited for everyone. When you choose a 6.25" x 6.25" form factor you have to go in knowing there will be some limitations, but I am constantly impressed with how much juice the current mini line up really has.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: