123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Really not too impressed!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desklamp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Really not too impressed!!!! Reply with quote

Hey,

From my previous post,
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10435
You'll know I gave apple my MacMini for a new logic board to be installed.

Got it back at the apple store, and I asked if the sound was now working (cause I diddnt want to go all the way home to find out its still not working!) and they set it op so i gould give it a go, and thank god it did! (having Barbie Girl play wasnt too good though!)

So I took it home, eagerly waiting to use it after having to use Windows XP for a week(!) and found that the display was showing "No input". I have my mac through the DVI input on my monitor (dont you agree?) so I decided to try VGA, and that worked, so it appears, that DVI for some reason isnt working now!!

I have my Mini set so that Activity monitor loads at startup, and shows the RAM usage in the dock and has a floating horizontal bar showing CPU usage.
Normally, there are 2 bars on top of each other, but when I got it back, there was only one, although at this point, I diddnt think too much of it.

Since I upgraded my mac from 512mb to 2GB over christmas, I decided to check that it was still 2GB, and yes, it is 2GB, but, looked at processor, and

THEYVE PUT IN A CORE SOLO!!!

It was a Core Duo, and theyve obviously put the wrong one in! Im not happy about this! That explains why the CPU bar only has one bar!

So: DVI isnt working, and my Core Duo has become a Core Solo.

I stick by apple all the way and think that theyre great, but im a little cheesed off with this!

Let me know what you think..

James

Last edited by desklamp on Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be pissed off a bit, but then I'd take a deep breath and take the thing back. Hopefully you'll get a little bonus for the inconvenience. There's not much you can do about it at this point, and there is no benefit in being upset.

Take it easy grasshopper. Maybe some good will come of this.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be cheesed off too (or any other sandwich related item)! Putting in the wrong processor is a big mistake on their part.

DVI may be just a problem with some corrupted settings that can be fixed by [url=http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238]resetting the PRAM.[/url]
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, would be cheesed off. I just got mine back from repair, fortunately everything was fine except I had to open it up and re-seat the sensor because the fan was running all the time. They first thought it was the logic board, but it was the sound board. Fortunately the warranty was still in tack, so I bought AppleCare just in case something else happens. I hope that in your case, I'm sure they'll make it right. They must have an explanation, even "genius's" can make mistakes.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
desklamp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good to know you aggree with me!

Im gonna ring them up tomorrow and tell them about it, see if it can be sorted.

I think the plural of Genius is Genii -
"genii (jeh-nee-eye) plural form of genie , genius"

Thanks

James

PS Going to try resetting PRAM now...
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that.... In spite of all, they are pretty good to deal with, even though they typed in my phone no. wrong so I couldn't be called if they tried.....
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
desklamp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried resetting PRAM, no luck with the DVI. I find it really weird, considdering DVI is the native output of the Mini.

Also, when I shutdown the computer in the mac store, just after it shut down, I had a screen that looked like that of an MS-DOS screen, and so I asked why this was, and the genius said it was because the monitor was a really crappy VGA one, I want too convinced, and lo and behold, it happens on my monitor at home, which isnt crappy.

God I feel like they've really screwwed my computer up. It took 2 weeks for them to get the Logic Board in, I will start to get mad with apple (yes, mad, with apple!) if i have to wait another 2 weeks for them to get it back to Core Duo!

Funnily enough, I got a receipt when they gave it me back, and it shows that they ordered in a Core Duo Logic Board, so maybe its a mistake at the dispatching end, and they sent them the wrong one, who knows (well they do id imagine!)

Ive always thought apple after sales care is fantastic, one of the reasons I like apple, so id imagine they will keep up when I let them know.

James
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, just for the trouble, I'd ask them for a Core 2 Duo... Laughing
splen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I have never heard of that happening before. No wonder you were hacked off! A little, cynical part of me thinks that they put in the core solo because they thought you would never notice, but I don't want to think that cusomer service could be that downright decietful.
I would definitely take it back and get them to install the correct proccessor, you paid more for a core duo after all, and your machine's serial no. should tell them that it should be a core duo anyhow.
I am so pissed off on your behalf, If it was an honest mistake then fair enough, but you deserve a replacement [i]and[/i] an apology if you ask me.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest fear is they may accuse you of switching the processor. The core single and core duo use the same mobo don't they?
JamesE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be easy to get paranoid about this and think they have tried to screw you over hoping you don't notice, but it is probably just an honest mistake.

One thing I have learnt about complaining is that you should always be calm and very polite and you will be treated better. On the few times I have got mad and even shouted abuse, They only do just enough so that they are covered by law to do what they have to do to fix it. When I have been nice about it they often do more/give you more as a gesture of good will.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JamesE"]It would be easy to get paranoid about this and think they have tried to screw you over hoping you don't notice, but it is probably just an honest mistake.

One thing I have learnt about complaining is that you should always be calm and very polite and you will be treated better. On the few times I have got mad and even shouted abuse, They only do just enough so that they are covered by law to do what they have to do to fix it. When I have been nice about it they often do more/give you more as a gesture of good will.[/quote]

Agreed, the natural instinct to combat anger is anger. As Conan O'Brian would say "keep cool my babies".
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bandit Bill"]My biggest fear is they may accuse you of switching the processor. The core single and core duo use the same mobo don't they?[/quote]

This is what I would think, since you can upgrade the processor, RAM, optical drive, and HD the same way with the same specifications.

The only "real" difference is the Core Solo has a single processor and Core Duo has a dual processor in a single chip. Right?
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Technically not a dual processor but a dual core, but I'm quibbling.
nukemm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be a UK thing. It seems everyone in the UK has horror stories about Apple customer service. Ugh...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: