123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

loss of sound

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Blue
New Member
New Member


Joined: 26 Jun 2010
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: loss of sound Reply with quote

The sound icon on the upper left banner has gone greyed out and does not respond to attempts to get it going again. I am using MAC MINI WITH SNOW Leopard. Anybody have this problem?


It was all working fine. It just up and quit without any input from me. It has happened before and it seems to me that someone posted to download a sound driver or some workaround but I have lost the site as well. It has just been so long ago.
The icon for sound adjustment and the Time Machine just : greyed out " and no amount of prodding on my part reveals a solution.
I have thought about reinstalling Snow Leopard but it takes forever and reverts things to a couple of years ago and I have to go through a long process to get my Mac back to what it was. I don't have any recent backups that work. Complacency, I suppose. If I can't get an easy repair here then I suppose I will need to go the long route.

Hopefully, someone else has had this problem as well.


Last edited by Blue on Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 687
Location: The Highlands, Scotland

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't disassembled your mini (to install RAM/HD or something like that) recently, have you?

(BTW: I'd remove your email address from your post if I were you - otherwise you'll get lots of spam, now and into the future...!)
_________________
Martin at HeadSpin HD now on Blu-ray
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 3240
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have speakers plugged in to the speaker connection?

SC
_________________
Grumpy old man of computing.

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Blue
New Member
New Member


Joined: 26 Jun 2010
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: no sound Reply with quote

I added a bunch to my post and removed my email addy. The simple stuff for recovery has already been tried. Now I just need that driver download but searches on this site is leaving me without answers. It may have been too long ago to be found again.
Thanks

Smithcraft wrote:
Did you have speakers plugged in to the speaker connection?

SC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blue
New Member
New Member


Joined: 26 Jun 2010
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: audio trouble Reply with quote

I still do not have any audio only now the sound icon in the top right banner is showing normal. There just isn't any sound at all. It just quit in the middle of a song. I have downloaded an OS Update for the entire drive and installed it but the problem repeated itself in a matter of minutes. Re-installed driver... same result. I still have not found that sound driver that someone had posted some time ago.
The only thing I can think of is that I plugged my iPad into this Mac thinking I could mirror my Mac Mini on the ipad as a back up. This failed although my ipad is now mirrored on on my Mac Mini. The sound is supposed to be triggered from the iPad as well but I have not figured that out either and I do not know how to undo this last effort since it was all automatic but there is no added icon that I can see that allows me to start itunes from the ipad. Pretty pointless in any event since what I wanted to do was play my itunes on my ipad.
ANyone got any ideas on how to reverse this latest blunder?
I could take a snapshot of the Mac mini but I do not know what part would be helpful without giving away info that is better left private for security reasons.
Thanks in advance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 24 Jan 2007
Posts: 3106
Location: North West - UK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you see anything in the drop down menu when you hold whilst clicking on the Speaker in the menu bar ?
_________________
Phil

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blue
New Member
New Member


Joined: 26 Jun 2010
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: loss of sound Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Do you see anything in the drop down menu when you hold whilst clicking on the Speaker in the menu bar ?


When I try that , the speaker is greyed out. When I go to preferences-sound, it shows everything greyed out and the Mute selected. Also greyed out so I cannot unmute.
I reloaded my driver, the problem was solved for about 1 min. of the first song I played and went back to the same old problem.

Any ideas?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 24 Jan 2007
Posts: 3106
Location: North West - UK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry my previous line should have said "Do you see anything in the drop down menu when you hold ALT whilst clicking on the Speaker in the menu bar ?"

but it looks like it may be a hardware issue on your system. I've never seen that happen on any of mine.
_________________
Phil

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blue
New Member
New Member


Joined: 26 Jun 2010
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: no sound Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Sorry my previous line should have said "Do you see anything in the drop down menu when you hold ALT whilst clicking on the Speaker in the menu bar ?"

but it looks like it may be a hardware issue on your system. I've never seen that happen on any of mine.


As soon as I do that, the sound menu comes down. The same one you get from Apple icon-preferences-sound.
Everything is greyed out and uncontrollable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 24 Jan 2007
Posts: 3106
Location: North West - UK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally when you click the icon you just get the volume control. Pressing ALT gives the full drop down menu and I thought you may have seen something in there.

It sounds like your mini can't find its sound card so its disabling the options. Moobile asked in the second post if you had ever disassembled your mini, have you ?
_________________
Phil

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blue
New Member
New Member


Joined: 26 Jun 2010
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
normally when you click the icon you just get the volume control. Pressing ALT gives the full drop down menu and I thought you may have seen something in there.

It sounds like your mini can't find its sound card so its disabling the options. Moobile asked in the second post if you had ever disassembled your mini, have you ?


A couple of years ago I added RAM. It has worked fine until recently and now it has become the Mac from hell. I wish I could find that sound driver download. It solved my problem when this happened the last time.
So far, I have been unable to locate it or solver my no sound trouble.


Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MM21.009A.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.19f2

ReloaDED MY SNOW LEOPARD OS. NOW THE ICON FOR THE SOUND IS BACK BUT ITUNES WILL NOT PLAY.
Opps. I have to look at my keyboard to type.


Any ideas?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blue
New Member
New Member


Joined: 26 Jun 2010
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: solution Reply with quote

I finally took it to the repair shop and found that the ribbon cord was broken. New one installed and problem solved



Blue wrote:
Cypher wrote:
normally when you click the icon you just get the volume control. Pressing ALT gives the full drop down menu and I thought you may have seen something in there.

It sounds like your mini can't find its sound card so its disabling the options. Moobile asked in the second post if you had ever disassembled your mini, have you ?


A couple of years ago I added RAM. It has worked fine until recently and now it has become the Mac from hell. I wish I could find that sound driver download. It solved my problem when this happened the last time.
So far, I have been unable to locate it or solver my no sound trouble.


Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MM21.009A.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.19f2

ReloaDED MY SNOW LEOPARD OS. NOW THE ICON FOR THE SOUND IS BACK BUT ITUNES WILL NOT PLAY.
Opps. I have to look at my keyboard to type.


Any ideas?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.