123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stranger in your midst
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poldermick

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Stranger in your midst Reply with quote

Hi,

My name is Michel and I am living in a small community named Kerkehout, belonging to the village of Wassenaar near The Hague in The Netherlands. I am typing this on a PC, spinning on Windows 8.1. I have opened a savings-account in order to buy a Mac Mini within a couple of months. In the meantime I will look around in this forum and others to get used to the topics Macmini-users exchange.
When I was preparing a Science-Fiction-exhibition in Rotterdam, The Netherlands halfway the seventies I met someone who was explaining that there were three degrees in Sci-Fi-Fandom: 1) Science-Fiction is Just a Goddamn Hobby (JAGH) 2) Science-Fiction is Just a Way of Life (JAWOL) 3) Science-Fiction is Just a State of Mind (JASOM).
I am very curious how members of this forum classify their relationship towards Macmini.
Cheers ! -Michel
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to 123Macmini, Michel. I don't know Kerkehout, but I was in the Hague about three years ago. I visited an interesting area there; a semi-natural park area with dunes and a lot of ponds; I believe that this area holds the freshwater supply for the Hague and is therefore protected. A very nice area to walk around. I was involved in an invasive aquatic species project with some European scientists - we were sampling the ponds for invasive fishes that are native in North America.

The Mac mini is an excellent computer for almost anything but high-intensity graphic uses. Its low price (for a Mac) is what attracts many of us to it, as well as (up until recently), the ability to upgrade it. I have had five of these myself and I still have three of them. (My 2011 model isn't listed in my signature.) The oldest of my current batch (a 2009) is presently being used for a Linux experiment - I am using it to make a slow move from the MacOS to open source. This indicates the versatility of the little Mini; one can put almost any operating system on it, or more than one! I like its size as well as its simplicity, and all three of your sci-fi classifications fit my relationship with the mini to varying degrees.

If you are about to buy your first mini, you should pay attention to the recent threads comparing the merits of the new (2014) mini with the 2012 it replaced. Each has its own merits and one of the more attractive features of the older model is its more open achitecture, which allows upgrading of the RAM and hard drive. This is an important consideration for some of our members (myself included).
Poldermick

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fox,

Nice to hear from you. I think I may call you a professional in the information-branche. I never had experiments with my computers. I always submitted myself to the caprices of the machine and its programming. As a former documentalist in the editorial room of a well-known Dutch newspaper I have a strong sense of factual order and that has saved me from more serious lapses. My first computer was a third hand Olivetti M24 with an Intel 8086 processor. I do not recall the exact DOS number. That time I had a lot to do with genealogy. There were message-boards operated by sysops. I had to contact them by telephone-modem and there were all sorts of protocols. Nowadays I am making excerpts of Notarian Archives from the 17th century at the Rotterdam City Archive. Once a week on Thursday. The computer I am working on:
Processor:
Intel Core i3-4160
Videocard:
Intel HD Graphics 4400
Memory:
8GB DDR3
Harddisk:
1000GB

Nice to hear from you at a moment that our king and queen are visiting your country. Best regards, -Michel
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michel,

I am not an IT professional at all; just a person with an interest in computers and operating systems who likes to experiment. I'm actually an ecologist, and I have been fortunate to have been able to do studies of invasive species in a number of places in Europe with European collaborators. I always find travel interesting and rewarding, but it has an extra dimension when you are doing field studies at the same time.

Nothing to do with Mac minis, but I wouldn't want anyone to think I work in the area of Information Technology and am thus some kind of expert.

Cheers,

fox
Poldermick

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fox,

There's a more or less authoritative website in Holland where people post their newest observations : www.waarneming.nl . Yesterday I took a picture of a beatle I never saw before in my 68-years. You will find it here: http://www.fotolog.com/micky33/116000000000032543/

Cheers,

-Michel
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Welcome to the forum. I am not quite sure where I would fit in the three degrees you mention.

Perhaps where I fit is in my answer below:

I have mac computers, because I grew tired of windows based computers that had unreliable hardware and software, and the constant updating to correct inherent problems. It seems it reached a pinnacle of nonsense when I was updating the previous updated updates that failed.

I like enjoying the use of a computer, I do not enjoy struggling to make it work every day.

I do enjoy the Mac Mini the most because I can use whatever type monitor I wish (currently it is our big screen TV, and I access from my comfortable chair via bluetooth keyboard and mouse). Recently I opted to buy a 2012 model versus the 2014. As Fox stated you can find threads that discuss the merits of both.

Best Regards
-2006 iMac c2d/1.83 Ghz/2 GB RAM
-2006 iMac G5/PowerPC/2 GB RAM
Poldermick

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don Carlos,

Your words so exactly fit my feelings towards Windows 8.1 . I have grown tired as well of the constant failures, security-hassles and the ever returning questions if I want this and that. Before I got my iPhone 5s I owned a Nokia Lumia 920. I was delighted with the prospect that I could so easily communicate with my computer on Windows 8.1. But what a deception ! After the third or fourth update my cellphone got really upset. A tornado ruined the whole infrastructure of my Lumia. Since a couple of months I owe a iPhone 5s and it was as if I entered heaven. Everything suits. My phone communicates with my iPad Air and within a couple of months I am sure I will enter the Seventh Heaven when the Macmini sails in. Meanwhile I keep myself posted with the topics in 123Macmini. Best regards, -Poldermick
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you both about the integration and ease of use, but Windows was never part of my history. I went straight from DOS to Mac. I don't recall having any problems with DOS, but the MacOS was a much more elegant operating system.

The good cross-communication across Apple devices is one of the characteristics of Apple systems that I have always assumed, until recently. I don't know if any of you are affected by it, but the DNS problem introduced with Apple's adoption of discoveryd in place of mDNSresponder has been driving me nuts. Since the introduction of Yosemite, we lost our internet connection regularly on the main computer in the house, and sometimes on a mini as well. The fix is some combination of unplugging and replugging the router, restarting the computer, and/or resetting the IP address. The latest 10.10.4 beta apparently has a fix, finally!:
http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/05/26/new.update.resolves.most.networking.issues.induced.by.new.networking.routine.128767/

I am pretty unimpressed that Apple let this go so long!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poldermick wrote:

There's a more or less authoritative website in Holland where people post their newest observations : www.waarneming.nl . Yesterday I took a picture of a beatle I never saw before in my 68-years. You will find it here: http://www.fotolog.com/micky33/116000000000032543/
l

Thank you for telling about this website. In my province (Ontario) we not only monitor public observations of invasive species, but the instances are mapped and made available.

That beetle you took a picture of looks like a Japanese beetle, but I'm no beetle expert.
Poldermick

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fox,

Did you notice that you can change the language to English in the website www.waarneming.nl by clicking a button in the upper-right corner ?
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I hadn't because the flag was that of the Netherlands. It's nice that the site has that option, but in my case if the species is a fish or aquatic insect, I would probably recognize the Latin name on the Dutch version of the site. In any case, I went through the first 10 pages of observations and confirmed what I thought would be the case - all of the recent observations are on birds. However, I flipped further through the site and found that there are pictures of invasive fishes. Three that were on there are the racer goby, the fathead minnow and the greeen sunfish. During our field trip, we were looking in particular for fathead minnows, brown bullhead and pumpkinseed sunfish. The British colleague that I travelled with studies all three; I study the pumpkinseed (zonnebaar in Dutch) and also the gobies (one was listed on this site). We only found fatheads in the ponds near the Hague. I was surprised that this website didn't list the pumpkinseed; it is known to occur in the Netherlands. I have seen it on a Dutch brochure listing non-native fishes and I have a Dutch colleague who published a paper on this species. I was even asked once, in an email by a Dutch biologist, how to eradicate them.
Poldermick

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Fox,

I am definitely a layman in this field, though I do like nature and its facets. There's a famous Dutch author who graduated in Sticklebacks. His name is Maarten 't Hart. He recently had a very well viewed TV-program called Maartens Tuin about his allotment in Warmond near Leiden. Yours truly, -Poldermick
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of the Mac mini!

I switched over to using a Mac mini years ago. I thought it was great that this little box that only used 85 watts did all that it did compared to my prior FrankenMac G4.

Now my old Intel mini is about to be retired, and the 2012 will become my desktop mini. I might even have to do that mod to use the 2010 case with an optical drive.

For a desktop, I can't really see any substantial need for anything more than a mini. Having played with an ASUS Chromebox for a day before installing OpenELEC-Plex, I think that might do the job for the majority of computer users.

Anyways, I think I would be a Way Of Life user, but I would also be fine with a NUC running OS X.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Poldermick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Smithcraft,

Congratulations with your latest purchase ! I do not own a Mac Mini yet, but I expect that glorious moment to occur in autumn. Meanwhile I scrutinize the web for tutorials on both Mac Mini as OS X Yosemity. Nice weekend to you,
-Poldermick
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Poldermick.

If you search here, you will see that many people think that the size of the computer somehow indicates it's computing ability. Yet as every member here can tell you, the mini does it all. Except for hardcore gaming that is. Wink

I would also recommend an older mini versus the newer locked down mini. But I was in your situation, I would certainly read every review of the new mini's to see what their capabilities are compared to the prior minis. It's entirely possible that the newer minis are just as capable, despite having slower CPUs, as the prior minis with faster CPUs.

I will say that one advantage to older minis is that you can run older versions of OS X. Many Mac users, myself included, are not entirely happy with the direction Apple is taking with it's products and OS. Having choices, as Mr Jobs said some 11 years ago, is always good.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: