123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compatible External Backup drives for Yosemite?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Compatible External Backup drives for Yosemite? Reply with quote

That's my question.

I came close to pulling the trigger on a My Book For Mac, because of it's 3 year warranty and WD's reputation for solid drives.

But I am seeing many many many posts elsewhere about the problems that Yosemite time machine has with these and several other drives. Some caused by that embedded smart ware in those drives. That said, seems problems with LaCie, Seagate, and even Time Capsule.

-So I would like know if any members here have had problems with backups and loss of data during backups using time machine (Yosemite) with any WD externals or with any other drives?

-I would appreciate suggestions recommendations as well. If you have had no issues, what external drive are you using?

My inclination, is to buy a bare 3 TB drive and use my 3.0 Orico dual drive docking station, at least no smartware will be involved (if that is the culprit, but it is actually cheaper to just buy the external)

Thanks
-2006 iMac c2d/1.83 Ghz/2 GB RAM
-2006 iMac G5/PowerPC/2 GB RAM
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thought I would answer my own question.

After much research, I purchased a My Book for Mac 3 TB USB 3.0. It was the same price as a My Book 3 TB,,,,,but for some reason the warranty on the My Book For Mac is 3 years and the My Book is 2 years.

Of course it was formatted for Mac, but as a precaution I copied the WD App software/SmartWare dmg that was preloaded on the drive, and put it in a desktop folder to save, then I completely formatted the entire drive using disk utility.

Time Machine recognized it immediately and backup was successful.

Absolutely zero problems and no conflict with Yosemite (as some have reported). I will update this thread in the future as to health of this external.

So it may be a consideration for others that were wondering about externals and Yosemite.

Best Regards
Bigbadbugga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this has been useful to me as I was looking at the WD mybook drives last week and was nearly tempted.

I think I'll go get one now Smile
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks, this has been useful to me as I was looking at the WD mybook drives last week and was nearly tempted.

I think I'll go get one now Smile

You are quite welcome. I just wanted to add that post to help anyone else that was in the same quandary I think you will find it to be a good decision.

I would have bought it from the online WD Store, but I had a $50 gift card to use from a US local retail store, so it cost me $69.00 for that $119 item.

If you do decide to use the online Western Digital Store, you can also "Sign Up for WD Specials", and they will send you a ten dollar promo code to use with a purchase from their online WD store. I noticed that the online store price was the same as our US national retailers, so hope that is the case in the UK.

Best Regards
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to look into that promo code. I need a new portable USB 3.0 drive in the worse way. My old and trusty Seagate FreeAgent finally went up and died on me. It was an awesome drive. I loved the dock too for snapping into and having a more permanent solution at the desktop. There are so many good deals out there these days on USB 3.0 drives though. Let the fun begin! Smile
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a 2 TB Samsung D3 for all of my TM and regular backups. It's a nice drive for the money. It's a tad on the slow side, but I only paid around $85 for it on Newegg.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: