123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini updates soon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still stand by my earlier comments. I'm in with a Merom, better video card and same sticker price. If they just go from a 1.66 to a 1.83 or 2.0 Core Duo and keep everything else the same, I'll be waiting for Leopard.
iLife's a Bitch!
tommymeggs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Macmini 1.66 Reply with quote

So what is this talk about Labor Day, something is coming new? Is it the processor speed, accommadate ipod, faster processor, better dvd player? Since this is my first new mac, in many years of using windows, I am truely in the dark..... Is there any fairly reliabal rumors that are probable?
tm
nonak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it comes Very Happy
However, sounds like we ll have to deal with only a simple speed bump Confused

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0608macmini.html
jthawke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Think Secret Rumor Reply with quote

If this rumor is true, I'm still on the sidelines. Sad My G4 mini will just have to stay with me a little longer. I'm sure the new Intels are nice machines, but if I'm going to have to deal with Rosetta, then I'm going to need a better reason to upgrade than what Apple is offering thus far. Come on, Apple . . . can't you see I WANT to give you money?? *S* On another note . . . has anyone used the new 23" displays? Are they better/worse/same than before? I have 20" now but would like to move up now that the prices dropped.
kent79

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so bad news if thinksecret said true - The update will eliminate the only Core Solo-based product from Apple's line-up, moving the 1.66GHz Core Duo model to the low-end and positioning a new 1.83GHz Core Duo Mac mini at the top.

The new low end price must be higher than $599. It is out of my budget and does not worth to buy.

Well, I think I will give up Mac
nonak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have difficulties to believe it. What would be the point to buy a 1.83, when the 1.66 would probably be cheaper and the speed difference would probably be barely noticeable ... ?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kent79 wrote:
The new low end price must be higher than $599. It is out of my budget and does not worth to buy.

The prices will probably go down if they stick with Yonah, but Merom still isn't out of the picture. Intel makes the T5500 at 1.66GHz and T5600 at 1.83GHz. Like I said before, I'll be on the sidelines if it's just a Yonah bump.
iLife's a Bitch!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nonak; this doesn't seem logical unless the price differential is reduced. If the rumour is true, all you would be getting for the extra money is a superdrive and a 0.17 ghz speedbump. Personally, I have no use for a superdrive and my main blocks to buying an Intel mini have been the high price for the lowest core duo and the prospect of an imminent upgrade. So if the rumour is true, I will buy the present high end for the low end price and eventually I'll upgrade it to Merom when the price for this processor comes down to something reasonable.
agfrg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think that Intel "Core" is a 32Bit processor and Intel "Core 2" is 64Bit. Leopard is 64Bit, so Apple will replace the "core" with "core 2" to get the most of Leopard. As I said, a Core 2 Solo and a Core 2 Duo. Possibly 80 Gigs on the solo and a superdrive. Wait more 5 days until the Labor Day. Was the date in the rumor.
miloTary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Apple would discontinue the iMac and come out with a single processor Mac Pro for under $1500 or boost the Mac mini up to its full potential. I mean keeping the Mac mini at the same prices with only minor processor bumps would be an insult. The prices for entry level Meroms are no more expensive than the Yonah chips they put in the Intel Mac mini at the time it was introduced. It really seems like Apple is falling behind curve on their systems. Just about every company that makes a laptop introduced a Merom system yesterday. Where was Apple? They are moving too slow folks! If Apple wants to beat Dell, maybe they should start acting a little more like them and offer a bigger slection of build to order options for their consumer systems. This waiting around for minor bumps in the same system just seems silly. JMHO

Tary
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I look at this differently. I don't expect or want Apple to be like Dell. I certainly don't want them to rush product to market only to suffer in the long run because of poor manufacturing and insufficient QA. I suspect that Apple may have already suffered this to some small extent due to an aggressive Intel conversion schedule. I don't believe the small incremental upgrades are really aimed at existing owners either. Rather, it is just a matter-of-course maturing of the product line. It may have the effect of making the product more attractive to prospective new buyers; however, I suspect that most typical users do not buy a computer and then immediately begin watching for the next model to purchase. People who do this are in the minority. Rather they will own the machine until such time as it no longer sufficiently performs in the capacity for which they use it day-to-day and could care less about processor upgrades until such time as they begin shopping again.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
I suspect that most typical users do not buy a computer and then immediately begin watching for the next model to purchase. People who do this are in the minority. Rather they will own the machine until such time as it no longer sufficiently performs in the capacity for which they use it day-to-day and could care less about processor upgrades until such time as they begin shopping again.

Very true. I know a number of people including IT pros who only upgrade the home PC when it breaks or the kids have nagged for a year solidly.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miloTary wrote:
I wish Apple would discontinue the iMac and come out with a single processor Mac Pro for under $1500 or boost the Mac mini up to its full potential.............. This waiting around for minor bumps in the same system just seems silly. JMHO
They would never discontinue the iMac. That is like Toyota discontinuing the Camry.
And a Mac Pro with a single processor wouldn't make it a Mac Pro, but just a Mac. They can make a new machine, just a Mac, with a Conroe chip. Of course they have to limit this system. It wouldn't have nearly the same abundance that a Mac Pro has. You need to draw a very clear line between a consumer Mac and a Mac Pro.

.... and waiting for minor speed bumps was normal before the Intel jump. Some would even be spaced further apart from each other than they are now.

If you neglect to remember that with a speed bump, even with the chips going down in price, they would be using chips more expensive than the ones in the current Minis. Sure it is probably a difference of only $20-30. But really, look at it..... you would be getting the Core Duo Mac mini for $599. That is a $200 price cut, think of it that way. They should also make the 1.83 Mac Mini no more than $699.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
I guess I look at this differently. I don't expect or want Apple to be like Dell. I certainly don't want them to rush product to market only to suffer in the long run because of poor manufacturing and insufficient QA. I suspect that Apple may have already suffered this to some small extent due to an aggressive Intel conversion schedule. I don't believe the small incremental upgrades are really aimed at existing owners either. Rather, it is just a matter-of-course maturing of the product line. It may have the effect of making the product more attractive to prospective new buyers; however, I suspect that most typical users do not buy a computer and then immediately begin watching for the next model to purchase. People who do this are in the minority. Rather they will own the machine until such time as it no longer sufficiently performs in the capacity for which they use it day-to-day and could care less about processor upgrades until such time as they begin shopping again.

I don't want them to be totally like Dell. After all, who wants to run Windows? I totally agree with your statement: "I suspect that Apple may have already suffered this to some small extent due to an aggressive Intel conversion schedule." The first MacBooks and MacBook Pros have been far from spectacular. On the other hand, the Intel iMacs and Mac minis have been reported to be relatively stable. Hey, my old G4 iMac is still chugging along. Very Happy I still think it would be a good idea for Apple to offer processors as a BTO option. This way when new chips come out with higher clock speeds they can just add them as an option.

Basically, what I'm saying is Apple needs to start thinking different about their upgrade cycle now that they have switched to Intel. Intel and AMD are basically in a price war. Will the Apple customer ever benefit from this with 2-3 product updates a year? I just don't think that will be the case. Take the Core Solo chip currently offered in the entry-level Mac mini for example. Intel doesn't even make that chip anymore. Plus, before Intel stopped making it, the price was probably over 40% less than when it was introduced. Did Apple lower the price of the Core Solo Mac mini or upgrade it over the last few months to reflect that cut? Nope, they just kept charging $599. That may be great for Apple's bottom line, but it's bad news for the consumer if you ask me. It almost makes me wonder if Apple regrets making the change to Intel, now that they have more pricing pressure.

Last edited by miloTary on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
miloTary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
If you neglect to remember that with a speed bump, even with the chips going down in price, they would be using chips more expensive than the ones in the current Minis. Sure it is probably a difference of only $20-30. But really, look at it..... you would be getting the Core Duo Mac mini for $599. That is a $200 price cut, think of it that way. They should also make the 1.83 Mac Mini no more than $699.

Right on the mark!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: