123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini updates soon?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Mac mini updates soon? Reply with quote

Mac mini updates soon?
Thursday, August 24, 2006

The FreeMacBlog and AppleInsider are reporting that Apple may release updated Mac minis shortly after Labor Day. "I needed to order another bunch to use as Mac mini servers (and to add to my great wall of Apple boxes) but I was told by the reseller (name withdrawn so they don't get in trouble) that they can't take big orders (again), but after Labor Day they'd be able to ship plenty of the new model," writes Brian on the FreeMacBlog. Back in February, Brian reported that he was unable to obtain a large order of PPC-based Mac minis for his colo. Within days of the report, Apple introduced its Intel-based Mac mini line.

AppleInsider also is reporting that a Mac mini update may be imminent. "Bolstering the blogger's latest report is independent confirmation from a well-placed AppleInsider source who claims that Apple's refusal to fill large orders is worldwide. Mac mini availability is expected to improve within two weeks time when new shipments begin, the source said," writes Katie Marsal for AppleInsider.

We reported back in July that the Mac mini had reached its average of 20 weeks between updates. Therefore, we believe the timing of these rumors may have some legs.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/520.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, what would the upgrade be if this was true. An Intel GMA965? lol J/K. Hopefully it is a small separate GPU. It doesn't have to be great, but just good enough. It can even be on par or just a little above the current GMA950, but if it had its own memory would help.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider selling my 1.66Ghz mini and upgrading to one of the new minis if Apple included a true GPU, Core 2 Duo, and kept the memory specs the same. I've become a big fan of these little machines and OS X.
agfrg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they will ship one model with a Core 2 Duo and another with a Core 2 Solo. Probably, they will include a integrated graphics chip but with its own memory. Probably an ATI Radeon X1300 Mobile.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting a long time for this upgrade; I'm buying as soon as it comes out. I hope that the chip continues to be socketted. Also, it would be nice (but unexpected) if they put a 3.5" drive in it.
agfrg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I've been waiting a long time for this upgrade; I'm buying as soon as it comes out. I hope that the chip continues to be socketted. Also, it would be nice (but unexpected) if they put a 3.5" drive in it.

It's practically impossible to put a 3.5" drive on it. But who knows if they put a 7200 rpm drive?
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it would likely be a minor incremental CPU upgrade. Nothing more.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
agfrg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
I would think it would likely be a minor incremental CPU upgrade. Nothing more.

But with core 2 duo and core 2 solo.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many minis it takes for them to reject your order? Confused That would have to be one whopper doodle order. Maybe they could throw one lonely machine my way at a reduced price. I'm still looking to buy my first Intel based Mac. Wink All kidding aside, I've been looking forward to joining the Intel based Mac age. If the minis gain any of the new features we've all been hoping for, I'll probably go ahead and order one.
iLife's a Bitch!
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
If the minis gain any of the new features we've all been hoping for, I'll probably go ahead and order one.

Have to admit that I would be tempted as well. But I think I'm going to hold off until Leopard hits the streets so that I don't have to purchase it separately.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
bishopdonmiguel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But with core 2 duo and core 2 solo.

Core 2 solo? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think that exists (at least not yet). There is Core Solo, Core Duo, and Core 2 Duo.

Apple might keep the Core Solo around, but given the price point of the Core Duo they would have to drop the price to make it an attractive option. I think (hope) we'll see the Core Solo replaced with a Core Duo and the Core Duo replaced with a Core 2 Duo. Price points remain the same. Given the socketted MB, this would be easy.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
g5g5 wrote:
If the minis gain any of the new features we've all been hoping for, I'll probably go ahead and order one.

Have to admit that I would be tempted as well. But I think I'm going to hold off until Leopard hits the streets so that I don't have to purchase it separately.

Spring seems soooooooooo far away! Sad

Actually, holding off for Leopard and iLife '07 might not be such a bad idea. That would keep another $200 or so in my pocket instead of Apple's bank account. It might be time for a coin flip! Laughing

bishopdonmiguel wrote:
Core 2 solo? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think that exists (at least not yet). There is Core Solo, Core Duo, and Core 2 Duo.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there is going to be a Core 2 Solo down the road.
iLife's a Bitch!
agfrg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a little search at intel.com I found a compiler for Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Solo. If there is a compiler, it must have the processor.

If this message isn't in correct englis i'm sorry because I'm portuguese! xD
bishopdonmiguel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this qualifies as futher evidence for an update, but both Amazon.com and BestBuy.com are sold out on Intel Minis (...Amazon shows only 5 Mac Mini Core Duos in stock).
MacScout67

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not one of these Apple rumor hounds, but it seems like a bad time to be running out of computers with the back-to-school buying season going on. I really wouldn't be surprised to see Apple announce these new Mac minis earlier than people are guessing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: