123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with DVI-cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exilim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Problem with DVI-cable Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a mini with a Philips 20" wide screen. the problem is that the monitor has DVI but it only runs with VGA. The cable breaksdown every time.

Does anyone have a solution for this?
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: information, please Reply with quote

You need to provide more information with an inquiry.

What model of Mac Mini do you have?

What model display do you have?

What do you mean by "breaksdown"?
exilim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a have philips Brilliance 200W 20" , and a mac mini 1.42 GHz, G4, 80 Gb Harddrive.

What I mean with breakdown is that I have signal for aproxximmately 5 minuts and then the signal disapears adn doesn't come back again. I have tryed it with 3 new cables and everytime this happened.

Is this enough information or do you need more?
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: native resolution Reply with quote

exilim wrote:
... philips Brilliance 200W 20" , and a mac mini 1.42 GHz, G4 ..

The native resolution (1680 x 1050) is not one of the defaults for the G4 Mini. You may be able to use DisplayConfigX to add the resolution. Does it work in DVI mode if you select 1280 x 1024 in the display settings?
London Luke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

same problem with my Viewsonic 20inchVX 202 lcd.
I have to use the VGA adaptor. tried most settings but couldnt get it to work.
docsevo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: re dvi and lcd monitors. Reply with quote

There seems to be a recurring problem getting the mini to display on large LCD monitors using DVI output that I have seem in several messages here and on other forums. Let me add the Maxent 27" LCD to the list.

In my case the monitor displays everything thru the boot sequence until Mac OS comes up, then the screen goes blue and tells me there is no input. However using the identical hardware setup, booting up from the Windows partition displays perfectly. Sounds like a Mac OS problem to me. I have tried every available screen resolution with no success. Any ideas out there? Does Apple listen to this forum since it seems like a recurring problem?
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest what DVI cables are you guys using?

DVI-A
DVI-I
DVI-D

Single or Dual link?

Perhaps that's a contributory factor?

Useful website http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
docsevo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: dvi and mini display on larger TV and monitors. Reply with quote

Thanks for the info link re DVI cables. I just bought mine in the store not realizing there were different varietys. Checking the specs mine is a DVI-D cable, 6 ft or so long, and a single channel.
In any case, my problem seems to be software related since using the DVI output, cable, and monitor DVI input, everything displays just fine when I am in the windows OS of my mini. It also displays OK on the Mac OS side when it first boots up. I see the grey screen, then the icon turning, a message that Mac OS is coming up, then blue screen on the monitor that the monitor displays when it has no input, along with a message that it has no input.
I have checked the display size and refresh rate in windows, duplicated it in Mac, but still no joy.
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: re dvi and lcd monitors. Reply with quote

docsevo wrote:
There seems to be a recurring problem getting the mini to display on large LCD monitors using DVI output ...

It seems to be more of a problem with the G4 Mini. It is important to state which you have.
exilim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to find out what kind of cable I have. What I do know is that I have to buy an new one. Do you have any suggestions which cable to buy?

When I have the new cable I will try to use it together with DisplayconfigX or switchresX.
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: DisplayConfigX Reply with quote

I would try running DisplayConfigX with a VGA monitor to set up the resolution, then try you existing DVI-D cable, before buying another.
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: dvi and mini display on larger TV and monitors. Reply with quote

docsevo wrote:
Thanks for the info link re DVI cables. I just bought mine in the store not realizing there were different varietys. Checking the specs mine is a DVI-D cable, 6 ft or so long, and a single channel.
In any case, my problem seems to be software related since using the DVI output, cable, and monitor DVI input, everything displays just fine when I am in the windows OS of my mini. It also displays OK on the Mac OS side when it first boots up. I see the grey screen, then the icon turning, a message that Mac OS is coming up, then blue screen on the monitor that the monitor displays when it has no input, along with a message that it has no input.
I have checked the display size and refresh rate in windows, duplicated it in Mac, but still no joy.

The G4 minis were picky with some monitors, the Intel minis not so much.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
BSteely

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a known limitation with the G4 Mac mini that it can only drive non-coherent TMDS up to 135 MHz, yet coherent TMDS up to 154 MHz. See note at the bottom of this link:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/MacMiniG4/3Input-Output/chapter_4_section_11.html

Your monitor has a non-coherent TMDS receiver but the dot clock for 1680 x 1050 is over the 135 MHz limit. What you need to do is use a program like SwitchRes X to build a custom timing that has reduced blanking and thus lowers the dot clock to 135 MHz or below. I recommend installing SRX and and letting it make a custom timing for you. All you have to do is enter the Horizontal Active value (1680) and the Vertical Active value (1050) and then click on the "Use simplified settings" option and select "CVT-RB" and SwitchRes will compute all the other values for you. Make sure the two Positive sync boxes are checked and that the Interlaced box is unchecked. The resulting timing (at least on my computer) has a dot clock of 118.25 MHz, which is well under the 135 MHz limit and should make your LCD monitor run stabley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: