123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini or eMac???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soccerkid656

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Mac Mini or eMac??? Reply with quote

I need a new computer and I've decided that it's going to be a new Mac. Which one though? I've narrowed it down to two. The sleek and stylish Mac Mini or her big powerful yet enormous brother eMac? I keep going back and forth over this and I guess I just need one convincing thought. I really need you're help and please help because this is my first post. Thank you guys for everything. Help... Crying or Very sad
ninjamini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really want a CRT Monitor sitting on your deak for the next 5 years> CRT monitors are already out of fashion.

Do you really want your monitor tied to your computer? If one goes so does the other. When you want to replace that CRT in 2 years you cant w/o buying a new computer.

I guess thats one vote for the mini!
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted for the mini exactly because it wasn't tied to an integrated monitor like the eMac or iMac. It gave me the option to use my existing peripherals.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
idave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with with greg. I'm not too keen on All-in-ones and don't want to be tied to the eMacs screen. However, I'd wait to see if Apple upgrades the video before ordering your mini.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
Charles
News Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini or eMac??? Reply with quote

soccerkid656 wrote:
I need a new computer and I've decided that it's going to be a new Mac. Which one though? I've narrowed it down to two. The sleek and stylish Mac Mini or her big powerful yet enormous brother eMac? I keep going back and forth over this and I guess I just need one convincing thought. I really need you're help and please help because this is my first post. Thank you guys for everything. Help... Crying or Very sad

Soccerkid656,

I just saw this article on the eMac this morning. You may find it useful!

Charles
123Macmini.com
billabong

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no reason to get the eMac once the Mac mini gets a video and hard drive upgrade. Plus the eMac takes up too much space and makes more noise.
livatlantis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a situation similar to what you are in now a month ago. It started out as a "Should I go the Mac way, or the PC way?". After a LOT of reading and thinking, I decided that I loved the Mac, the community and the entire "scene"... of course, the OS appealed to me tons as well Wink (Because a. I wanted a change of systems, b. Linux wasn't very 'me' and c. Mac seemed perfect to persue my interest in digital media).

Then the burning question: Which Mac?

If you rule out iBook (which really appeals to me, although the standard HDD might fill up really fast in the base model) you're left with the Mac mini and the eMac. As a recent switcher, I will consider the many things on your mind - accessibility, portability, upgradability, the 'wow' factor and of course, the actual power you'll recieve - and advocate in favour of the mini Smile

One thing on my mind was always was - "What if I had to move?" This would be my first computer (I mean, really 'my'... previous PCs handed down) so I was very specific. Mac mini, you can take around with you in the bag it came in or a third-party bag. Very easy. Keyboard and mouse shouldn't be too much of a problem, either. The eMac, if you want to move, should be quite a trouble.

Upgradability - the eMac is more upgradable... but not too much, either. eMac is definitely a more 'earlier' type of computer. It's great and yes, it is a "digital hub" (as Apple likes to call it), but imagine you wanted to move on to 21" soon, as prices drop for TFT (for example)... you'd want something more adaptive. mini.

Getting a mini is a great cost benefit, from which you can get more RAM, for example.

Also, the mini, being a one-of-a-kind, has a lot of 'wow' factor Smile I know I love mine!

If you're absolutely sure you won't want to upgade displays anytime soon, and you're absolutely sure your Mac will mostly stay in one place, the eMac could be great. But, why? When you can get a mini for less for the same (and if you use the money, even more!) performance.

Go for the mini Smile

Just my thoughts, though. Either way, I'd like to welcome you to the world of Macs (I'm new myself and I know it feels good Wink). Tell us what you're thinking!
soccerkid656

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Gracias! Reply with quote

First of all, I want to thank everybody who's posted in this post. Gracias! And now I think I am going to get the mac mini! This is my final decision and it will be written in stone! I won't go back and forth because I really don't want a big enormous eMac. Plus the eMac is CRT and I was wanting to get an LCD for sometime now. Thank you all and hopefully by the end of July sitting on my desk will be a small and sleek mac mini with so much extra room on my desk because it's so small!!! I am excited about joining this Mac World! Go Apple and thank you all for everything. Only 1 more month......1 more month... Very Happy
soccerkid656

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean 2 more months since June just started...Lol....
livatlantis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Very Happy I know I was CRAZY when I decided... even more when I got my mini! Smile

Being a recent switcher, I believe I can answer a lot of your 'new to Mac' kind of questions if you have some, and I'll want help sometimes as well Wink Just post here Smile
soccerkid656

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: DVI or Analog Reply with quote

What connection would be better? DVI or Analog? I've heard a lot of issuses with DVI not working properly, but which one would be better and are those issues with DVI true?
idave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with DVI. The quality of the video is much better and you'll have more options down the road. There are just as many VGA issues with the mini.
soccerkid656

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: DSL Question? Reply with quote

So as you all know, I'm getting a new Mac Mini by the end of July and I have an Internet question. I have a Windows computer in the living room that all of my family uses and it is connected to the Internet with DSL on it. By the end of July I'm going to get me a new Mac Mini for my room. How can I get both computers to be online at the same time? Is that even possible? Do I have to get another router for my room? Please help and if you have any questions please list them and I will try to answer them. Thanks for eveything!
soccerkid656

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Anyone??? Reply with quote

Please help as I know nothing of Networking...anyone???
idave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can be on at the same time. Do you have a router hooked up to your DSL modem? If not, buy a wireless router from Linksys, D-Link Belkin, or Netgear. Get your Mac mini with an Airport Extreme card pre-installed as a B.T.O option assuming you don't want to see cables running from the router. Hook the router up to your DSL modem with your PC. Make sure the SSID on the router is turned on and your Mac mini should see the network. You should turn this off later for better security. First things firstů find a router in your budget. I would suggest the Linksys WRT54G.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007KDVI/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: