123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Previews Mac OS X Leopard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greentimbers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand it if you downloaded the preview of Leopard all you will get is an incomplete OS.

Folding on a Intel Mini
BusterUSAF

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OS X has generally been unique amongst most operating systems in that it gets faster with each release. Granted, the curve has gotten shallower in recent versions. How do you think Leopard will fare? Is 10.5 going to start showing some bloat?
Combo Drive
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusterUSAF wrote:
OS X has generally been unique amongst most operating systems in that it gets faster with each release. Granted, the curve has gotten shallower in recent versions. How do you think Leopard will fare? Is 10.5 going to start showing some bloat?
I think the only bloat that will come with it is the version for the older-non-Intel machines. This new one is going to take full advantage of the new hardware. You will need the latest and greatest to appreciate most of its new features. This is especially true for all of us that have lower than a G5. G4 users are going to start to miss out on a lot of stuff in the next 2-4 years. Some might even need a G5 at the very least. While very few apps will need a multi-core system.
Well good thing my Mini is only for checking email, internet surfing and burning CDs. Just too bad my G4 Mini, more than likely, won't be able to run Time Machine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SOCOMRAIDER"]
BusterUSAF wrote:
Just too bad my G4 Mini, more than likely, won't be able to run Time Machine.

What makes you say that? I highly doubt that it wouldn't be supported. There are far too many G4's out there for Apple to abandon them just yet. Time Machine will most certainly be a Universal app. If Apple adheres to its self imposed obsolecense program... us PPC guys will be supported for another 4 years.
Combo Drive
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusterUSAF wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Just too bad my G4 Mini, more than likely, won't be able to run Time Machine.

What makes you say that? I highly doubt that it wouldn't be supported. There are far too many G4's out there for Apple to abandon them just yet. Time Machine will most certainly be a Universal app. If Apple adheres to its self imposed obsolecense program... us PPC guys will be supported for another 4 years.
The fact of the matter is, if it was to somehow run, there wouldn't be any eye-candy whatsoever. They said the new Core Animation will be supported by most of the Macs made in the last two years. But it will be supported only by Macs that support Core Image. The PPC G4 Mac Minis do not support Core Image, therefor they will not support Core Animation. If Core Animation is required for Time Machine, then Time Machine won't run on a G4 PPC Mac mini.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. Core Animation will not be supported, but I can live without eye candy. I've managed to live without the nifty ripple effect of Core Image for a while. I simply refuse to believe that Apple would leave thousands of Mini owners without Time Machine. That's just bad for business. As with any speculation on Leopard... only Cupertino knows.
Combo Drive
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusterUSAF wrote:
True. Core Animation will not be supported, but I can live without eye candy. I've managed to live without the nifty ripple effect of Core Image for a while. I simply refuse to believe that Apple would leave thousands of Mini owners without Time Machine. That's just bad for business. As with any speculation on Leopard... only Cupertino knows.
I still think Time Machine will not run. It just looks like Core Animation is required. I mean the application is compiled by Core Animation and even displayed by using Core Animation. I don't see how they can offer a dumbed-down version of Time Machine. Wouldn't it need to be written differently, since it is written through Core Animation? Maybe it's too early for me without any sleep yet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some reading...and it does appear that Time Machine will be a hurdle for non-supported hardware. Talk about getting your hopes crushed! With any luck Steve will pull a rabbit out of his hat for us. Honestly, I see no reason to upgrade if that happens to be true. I really have no need for Spaces (also core animation), I don't use iChat, and iCal / Mail do everything i need them to at this point. Are you planning to install Leopard?
Combo Drive
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusterUSAF wrote:
I've been doing some reading...and it does appear that Time Machine will be a hurdle for non-supported hardware. Talk about getting your hopes crushed! With any luck Steve will pull a rabbit out of his hat for us. Honestly, I see no reason to upgrade if that happens to be true. I really have no need for Spaces (also core animation), I don't use iChat, and iCal / Mail do everything i need them to at this point. Are you planning to install Leopard?
Well even if Spaces and Time Machine are not supported on the Mini, there are still a lot of things they have not released info about. Steve said that there are things they are waiting to keep secret, so people won't steal them in time. MacWorld will show a lot of things we haven't seen yet, so I'm still optimistic.

I'll probably still install Leopard. I might wait a while before doing so, as usually the best doesn't hit until the XX.X.2 or XX.X.3. Some things on Leopard might still have some rough edges.

But another thing I might do. Sell my Mini or give it to my little brother for school. Then I'll buy a Intel Mac mini that ships with Leopard. That way I will get all the features.

Otherwise I get to buy the family pack Very Happy , for two Minis (recently converted my aunt to a Mac w/ a mini), an eMac and a iMac.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Leopard web apps Reply with quote

So far, from what SJ has revealed web app wise, I am underwhelmed. Why is there still no MSN/Yahoo chat available? I'm stuck with Adium (w/ no video or reliable file transfer) until it does.

Also, Safari wasn't mentioned. Being tied to the Konqueror browser sounded great back in 2004, but in 2006 Opera or Firefox are looking like much better models. CSS support is serviceable at best, but could definitely use an update.

Don't leave me hanging Steve.....
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Leopard web apps Reply with quote

baddriverdave wrote:
So far, from what SJ has revealed web app wise, I am underwhelmed. Why is there still no MSN/Yahoo chat available? I'm stuck with Adium (w/ no video or reliable file transfer) until it does.

Also, Safari wasn't mentioned. Being tied to the Konqueror browser sounded great back in 2004, but in 2006 Opera or Firefox are looking like much better models. CSS support is serviceable at best, but could definitely use an update.

Don't leave me hanging Steve.....
He said there are still things to be revealed in the future (MacWorld).
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can use Time Machine to basic backups of your system on non-supported hardware. You just won't be able to use that slick interface to retrieve old data.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/21/mac-os-x-leopard-shots-aplenty-leak-to-the-interwebs/

Well it is all getting confusing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anyone without a G5 or Intel Mac will feel some pain with Leopard...

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacWaffler wrote:
I know.. the ones that have G4 Mac Minis will feel the most hurt (for Macs made in the last 2 years).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
MacWaffler wrote:
I know.. the ones that have G4 Mac Minis will feel the most hurt (for Macs made in the last 2 years).

Leopard strikes me as a great time for any G4 mini or iBook owners to make the jump to an Intel based Mac, there is just no downside to that kind of move.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: