123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great Apple store experience.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lot41

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Great Apple store experience. Reply with quote

I just got back from the Apple store and what a great experience, the staff there are amazing with their customer service. This store is in Boca Raton Florida a very affluent area with a lot of wealthy older people who demand a lot of service, so the staff may be exceptionally patient dealing with their needs.

I got the impression many of the customers come in every week for the instructions that are offered and it was almost club like. I guess I will get the $799.00 Mac mini with the standard Ram. I will just be using it for regular everyday tasks so I should be good to go, my question though, is what is a good word program? I can't believe I was there so long and forgot to really find out if it came with one already installed.

I don't know if it is just good training, but you can really tell when a sales person believes in the product they sell and I defiantly got the impression at the Apple store they did. They are at no loss for words when it comes to talking Apple.

I will be regular here and apologize in advance for what will probably be some dumb questions I am sure. I am really looking forward to getting the Mac mini. Out of curiosity, have others had such positive experiences at the Apple stores?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had the pleasure of visiting an Apple store. I live in northern Canada. I think the only Apple store in Canada so far is Toronto. However I can relate to your experience from my local Apple dealer.

Most of the staff including the girls that work the till have been employed there for a long time. Everyone is knowledgeable and enthusiastic about Apple products. They have a training school as well.

The customers seem to enjoy shopping in this store. It is a very relaxed and fun experience.

I worked in Canada's largest retail computer store (in sales) for 5 years. We sold Mac products as well. Most of the staff didn't have a clue about Mac products except one guy. So we sent all the Mac stuff his way. I personally was somewhat interested in Macs at the time, so I often tried to struggle my way through some Mac sales, but I would often pass the customer off to Rick as well.

Now I don't even shop at the store I used to work at. I shop at my Apple "only" retailer.
firas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lot41: congrats on your decision! Although I highly advise -as many people have done so already in various posts- to get the extra RAM while buying it if you can afford it. I bought mine with 512 MB only cause I had to order it from the Internet (can't order from Apple Store) and had it shipped to Kuwait. Within two weeks I ordered 2 GB RAM though and now I'm really happy Smile You should at least get it with 1 GB RAM (for $100 extra from Apple) as it will save you the trouble of cracking it open yourself.

As for a word-like program if you want something that's free and compatible (for the most part) with MS Office documents then I would suggest you give NeoOffice a try (make sure to download the Intel version):
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/download.php#download

It's based on OpenOffice.org which is open source software. If you find that it doesn't meet all your requirements only then would I dare to mention MS Office 2004 for Mac.
Apple Wireless Pro Keyboard, Logitech V270 Bluetooth Optical Mouse
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, if you can't buy a 1GB configuration from the local store, order it from Apple's online store for $100 more. The local store will charge you much more than that to upgrade. 512MB just isn't enough.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
jmlizard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also had great experiences with my local Apple Retail Store (Sacramento, Ca). My first Apple product was a refurbished 4th gen iPod I bought on the Apple online store. When it crashed after only a week of use, I was a little upset, since I figured I'd have to send it in for service, and would be without my new toy for weeks. When I went online to find out where to send it, however, I found that I could schedule an appointment at the local Apple retail store's "Genius Bar," and that most problems could be remedied there. Even with an appointment, I expected to wait, so it was quite a shock to me that when I arrived 10 minutes early, they were ready to see me right away! My own personal Mac Genius greeted me with a smile, asked me what problems I had been having with the iPod, then simply held it up to his ear, nodded his head, and walked away. At first was taken aback by what seemed to be a brush off, but before I could get upset, he came out of the back with a new iPod in hand, and explained that he had diagnosed the iPod as having a bad hard drive just by the sound of it running. I was out the door with a brand new iPod, and no hassles, in minutes. Unfortunately, I seem to have had some bad iPod mojo, because I had to come back and get it replaced three more times, due to a fluke bad HD, but each time I experienced the same great service. In fact, the fourth time I came in, the same representative was there who had helped me with the first and second replacement, and he just looked at me sympathetically, and ran to the back to grab me another replacement. Fortunately, that fourth iPod was the charm, and has held up fine.

The moral of this VERY long story, is that if the service had been poor, even once, on my many frustrating iPod replacement trips, I might have given up on Apple all together. Because my problems were taken seriously and they were handled with efficiency and empathy, however, I stuck with it. To me, that says a lot about their customer service.

Oh, and I second the RAM upgrade... you'll appreciate it later.

Jared

-Ben Parker
robhfla

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lot, I actually bought my mini at the Boca store about this time last year. I love it. The mini does come with AppleWorks, which does have a word processor in it. You can if you like go out and buy iWork which has a better word processor in it. Or your third option is to download Neo Office which is very similar to MS Office.
London Luke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the products................. check out the finest chicks checking their mail !! here in London (UK) The place is unreal...... stunning oriental girls . God .....wish they served food and drinks ! Its the coolest free internt place in London !
MosGuy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start with my apple authorized dealer experience. Back in August 2003 I bought the original 12" Powerbook G4 from a 3rd party chain in my case Compusmart. 10 months later I noticed when I tried kernal panics occuring everytime I tried to boot off the CD. I replaced the airport extreme card as that was the last change I did that didn't help. So I took it to the local Apple dealer as that's the replace Compusmart would send it anyway. Being a certified tech I spent about 2 hours ruling out various hardware and software and got it down to bad RAM or the logic board. They ended up dragging their feet for nearly three months. In the end I called Apple relations to get results, apparently the shop was in the middle of a board change which didn't cure the problem. In the end they replaced it under warranty with a 1.33 Ghz Powerbook. So overall I wasn't too impresssed with the dealer. But Apple did give me a pair airport extreme card for my troubles which was a $149 CDN value at the time.

Fast forward two years to recently. I sold my laptop which I did on ebay for $900. I didn't want to deal with any 3rd party chains or the local dealer getting my mini. I drove to Toronto to one of the official stores, which wasn't there the last time I went up. I had an excellent experience, there were a lot of sales people milling the floor. A sales guy approached me, I apparently missed spotting the mini's Smile. Typical computer trip I go in knowing exactly what I wanted the Duo with 1 GB RAM, no extras and I was planning on buying applecare just before the 1 year was up. But the RAM install would have been a 30 min wait and it wasn't specially listed in the list. So in the end I came out with the Duo, with 1 GB & 100 GB hard drive plus apple care tacked on. The middle line of upgrades are on par with the industry pretty much so it was worth doing.

So I came out a few hundred more lighter in the bank account then I originally expected. But I was very impressed with the apple store experience. I'm glad they finally have official stores here in Canada. Between the local dealer it was like night and day with the quality of service. While waiting the demo was hooked up to the 23" display on the back wall was the 30" both I was drooling over. Tho the mini can only drive the 20 & 23 inchers full screen. I have to start saving my pennies back up !. I have a friend who's being sent an ipod from her dad but she has some 3rd party player she likes. So I'm getting a free ipod soon, not sure what model but I wasn't about to turn down a free ipod even if it's the nano Very Happy

Bill - I wouldn't consider Edmonton to be 'Northern Canada' Wink. Although to Lot41 Canada period would be pretty far North Razz

BTW: the new mini's don't come with AppleWorks, tho I did have version 6 as I bought it for my PB. It does come with trial versions of iwork & MS Office. Personally I won't touch MS products coming from 17 years on PC's so I use NeoOffice on my Mac and OpenOffice 2 on my XP/Linux PC. Tho I do have Office XP installed on Windows for any problem files.
External USB2/Firewire 120 GB HD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: