123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini generation 2 concept...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JahTS

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting rid of the modem is a bad idea. Here's what I think they shoud do. Keep the left side of the back alone. Have three USB ports and one Firewire on the back right side. By all means slide the audio output to the top and add an audio input. Keep the security lock for schools and libraries. In the inside upgrade the G4 to 1.5GHz, make 512MB standard, and add a faster hard drive.
nick8ascot

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Moving on Reply with quote

I am in favour of replacing the modem - most people have broadband now, and since when has Steve Jobs shirked away from moving things on a bit?
bani

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting rid of the modem is a great idea. it's a crappy software winmodem anyway. anyone who really wants a modem can buy a real usb modem. a modem might make sense on a laptop but on desktops most people have broadband.

audio in/out and usb on front please. not top or sides. i have stuff on top and side of my mini.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jah wrote:
In the inside upgrade the G4 to 1.5GHz, make 512MB standard, and add a faster hard drive.

You left out the most important thing.....video!
erickg

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bani wrote:
getting rid of the modem is a great idea. it's a crappy software winmodem anyway. anyone who really wants a modem can buy a real usb modem. a modem might make sense on a laptop but on desktops most people have broadband.

audio in/out and usb on front please. not top or sides. i have stuff on top and side of my mini.

Getting rid of the modem wouldn't be all that great. Granted, most people have broadband now, but the modem can be useful for sending and receiving faxes too.
billabong

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erickg wrote:
Getting rid of the modem wouldn't be all that great. Granted, most people have broadband now, but the modem can be useful for sending and receiving faxes too.

Getting rid of the modem might alienate some of the mini's target audience. There's still a lot of dial-up users out there! So I'd keep the modem for now and add another USB port on the other side instead of having two Firewire ports. Three is a good number, you got one for your keyboard /mouse, another for a printer, and the third for a digital camera or iPod. I'd still like to see Apple get one USB port up front if possible. I don't know about you but I hate swapping out cables. I'd rather get my iPod/Camera out, plug it in the front, sync up and go! Very Happy
nick8ascot

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: modem and faxing Reply with quote

Quote: Getting rid of the modem wouldn't be all that great. Granted, most people have broadband now, but the modem can be useful for sending and receiving faxes too.

Doesn't a broadband modem send/receive faxes as well? We all argued about the demise of the floppy drive when the original iMac came out, and we thought it would alienate so many of the target audience, but the decision was proved a correct one. I think the same is true here.

There's a lot of space saved with no modem included. What could take its place as well as just extra ports?
bani

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of money would be saved too by omitting the modem. apple could use the saved money for better video.
Brendan

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bani wrote:
a lot of money would be saved too by omitting the modem. apple could use the saved money for better video.

I doubt the modem costs more than 2USD and the circuitry now takes up less space than the plug. However, this is an entry level machine aimed at casual users as well. They don't want broadband because of cost vs. usage. Many people I work with (in IT, yet) still use dial-up because it is cheaper. They don't do music downloads or other high-bandwidth activities.
bani

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspire to mediocrity eh? Very Happy well it is rather underpowered for broadband so i guess you are right, apple's target market is entry level and dialup users.

that slow notebook drive is so annoying Crying or Very sad
andp

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.5GHz-1.75GHz G4
80GB - 100GB 7200RPM hard drive.
64MB - 128MB ATI Radeon 9600.
Audio in.
Dual-Layer DVD.

Good enough for me! Very Happy
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Apple will move around the USB/FireWire ports and audio jacks like his concept shows. It would take a major re-tooling and cost big bucks for Apple, however, I think they have enough room to include an audio-in jack without much fuss.
mproud

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Let's be reasonable Reply with quote

Here's what I'd like to see:

Same DVI-out
Same sound-out
Same 10/100 Base-T ethernet
Same 256 MB RAM
Same combo drive
Same power
Same security hole
Same Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme-ready/upgradable

New 1.42 GHz/1.6 GHz
New 60 GB/100 GB HD (anything larger would be too expensive)
New ATI Radeon 9600 64 MB RAM graphics (same as eMac)
New 3 USB, 2 Firewire (same as eMac)
New built-in microphone

No modem

I think the sound-in port isn't necessary. Most people using this computer won't need it. You will notice the inclusion of a microphone. I think this would work well as a substitute and would allow people to buy iSights, for example, and take advantage of video chatting.

The modem is also not a necessity. Broadband has taken off and external modems are not out of the question. Axe it and use the space for something else.

No need for more ports than necessary. 3 USB and 2 Firewire is more than enough, and is exactly what's on the eMac.

64 MB RAM graphics card is a must. Nothing fancy, but enough to make the computer able to play The Sims 2 and the like without any trouble.

Perhaps the faster configuration should come with 512 MB RAM? Not sure, though. RAM prices are often pricey.
andp

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Let's be reasonable Reply with quote

mproud wrote:
Here's what I'd like to see:

Same DVI-out
Same sound-out
Same 10/100 Base-T ethernet
Same 256 MB RAM
Same combo drive
Same power
Same security hole
Same Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme-ready/upgradable

New 1.42 GHz/1.6 GHz
New 60 GB/100 GB HD (anything larger would be too expensive)
New ATI Radeon 9600 64 MB RAM graphics (same as eMac)
New 3 USB, 2 Firewire (same as eMac)
New built-in microphone
No modem

I agree with everything except the 256MB. I've never heard anyone mention a built-in microphone. That might be a cool option if they can't fit in an audio-in port, but I'd still rather have the port available to hookup guitars and stuff in GarageBand.
resuna

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, the "patent pending" top-loading port. *snort*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: