123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Four questions about the Mac Mini....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elton

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Four questions about the Mac Mini.... Reply with quote

I'm going to order a Mac Mini when the new models come out. I have four questions....

1. Is iSight's video conferencing choppy on the Mac Mini?

2. In general, how is the Mac Mini's audio quality?

3. Are the Mac Mini's hard drive speeds 5400RPM for the 40GB and 4200RPM for the 80GB?

4. What's the chipset is in the Mac Mini's 56K modem? No broadband! Crying or Very sad

Thanks in advance!
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Four questions about the Mac Mini.... Reply with quote

Q: Is iSight's video conferencing choppy on the Mac Mini?

A: On a broadband connection it isn't bad at all, but I don't think I would even attempt it with dial up. Just not enough bandwidth.

Q: In general, how is the Mac Mini's audio quality?

A: In a word CRAPPY. I have a lot of Mac computers and the sound from the Mini's internal speaker is very tinny and hollow sounding. I would recommend getting external speakers. Even some cheap $20 ones

Q: Are the Mac Mini's hard drive speeds 5400RPM for the 40GB and
4200RPM for the 80GB?

A: Some of the very first Minis that shipped did have a 5400rpm drive in them, however this was due to a "backorder" or "shortage" of the 40GB/4200rpm drives, but all the Minis have been shipped with the slower drive since.

Q: What's the chipset is in the Mac Mini's 56K modem? No broadband! Crying or Very sad

A: No idea what the chip set is but below is the system profile for the modem in my Mini!
Modem Information:

Modem Model: Jump
Interface Type: I2S
Modulation: V.92
Hardware Version: Version 1.0
Driver: MotorolaSM56K.kext (v1.3.2)

By the way Welcome!!!! Very Happy
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Elton

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo

Thanks for the help! I live out in the sticks and we're getting DSL service in the next few months. We were going to get cable internet service but our crappy cable company "Adelphia" went broke and stopped the project. Maybe the timing will be right and I'll get my mini the same time DSL is up and running "fingers crossed". I've noticed that Lucent chipsets run slower than some others with our lines, that's why I asked. I wouldn't even try to run iSight over 28.8. Laughing
bani

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Four questions about the Mac Mini.... Reply with quote

Elton wrote:
I'm going to order a Mac Mini when the new models come out. I have four questions....

1. Is iSight's video conferencing choppy on the Mac Mini?

never used it. sorry.

Elton wrote:
2. In general, how is the Mac Mini's audio quality?

junk. it picks up internal RF noise from the hard drive and firewire and other stuff.

Elton wrote:
3. Are the Mac Mini's hard drive speeds 5400RPM for the 40GB and 4200RPM for the 80GB?

it's luck of the draw if you will get 5400 or 4200rpm. apple shipped machines with both.

Quote:
4. What's the chipset is in the Mac Mini's 56K modem? No broadband! Crying or Very sad

appears to be a motorola software modem (yes, basically a winmodem.) yuck.
caulktel

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came with the 40 gig Seagate 5400 rpm drive (I'm so happy about that). As far as the audio is concerned, I have had good results with it, although from the the begining I have used external spreakers. I have not noticed any noise from hard drives or any rf source. I have broad band, but still use the modem to fax with every week, it seems to work fine. I have never used Isight before, but would have to agree with everyone else that it probably will not work to well on a dial up account.
Elton

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have not noticed any noise from hard drives or any rf source."

Good to hear!

Caulktel, thanks for the reply.
bani

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can record the noise if someone wants to hear it. it's most noticeable when using firewire.

the adelphia owners and executive officers were criminally convicted of securities fraud, bank fraud, and conspiracy. little wonder adelphia went bankrupt.
caulktel

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bani,

I use a Firewire DVD burner on a daily basis and have had no problems with audio noise what so ever, maybe you should take yours back to the Apple dealer you bought it from and ask for a refund or repair. Also did you do your own ram upgrade? Did you get the the rf shielding back in place. Lets not spread FUD about the Mac Mini, it is a great machine that nobody I know of is having the problems you described.
bani

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other gotchas a mini buyer will want to be aware of is the dim VGA output and DVI corruption problems with various LCD displays. While they do not affect 100% of mini buyers, a large enough % of buyers is affected to cause concern.

maybe apple will fix these flaws with the next models.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caulktel wrote:
bani,
Also did you do your own ram upgrade? Did you get the the rf shielding back in place.

You are right. I think that little piece of RF shielding may be more important than we know about. People be careful when you open your mini! Don't sick your putty knife down in too far or you'll rip the little piece of RF shielding mesh. I have no problems with my audio at all! It sounds just as good if not better than any of my other machines.

Edit: I just noticed you're from Oregon! Very Happy
bani

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the noise before i ever opened the mini to upgrade it. i use ipv4-over-1394 to fileshare between mac and linux and the noise is particularly evident during file transfers.

i think you misunderstand what the rf shielding is there for. it's not to prevent internal crosstalk between components inside the mini. it's to protect the outside world from rf generated from inside the mini.

the sound output section inside the mini is picking up crosstalk from the 1394 subsystem inside the mini. it's hardly suprising as most PC equipment has crosstalk of varying degrees and it's almost impossible to 100% eliminate. you can hear it on most PCs if you turn up the volume. however on the mini it's quite pronounced even at low volumes. i imagine the shielding acts as a wonderful internal rf reflector. after all the rf has to go somewhere.

if it matters, i'm using headphones. you may not hear it as easily with external speakers.

you can always plug in usb audio devices to eliminate this problem. and also get audio input, which apple neglected on the mini for some inexplicable reason (or maybe they tried and found it too noisy).
caulktel

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bani,

I used a headset on Skype using the on board audio, but had to buy a USB device to get the mic in function. It was advertised as a USB mic input, but it came as both in and output, even has a mute button and vol. up and down buttons. I was curios if the audio sounded any better or worse through the USB port, I could not tell a difference it was crystal clear either way. In your case the manufacturer must have left out a bypass capacitor on something or even a filter cap in the audio section or there is just a defective component somewhere. I am also amazed that Apple left out the mic in though. BTW, I have the 1.25 Mini with 512 ram, maybe the problem you have is with a specific model/ram/hard drive configuration.

curt,

What part of Oregon are you in?
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaverton
JS

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you guys know if you got the 4500 rpm or 5400 rpm HD?

JS
caulktel

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to system profiler and look at ATA, take your drive model # and plug it into Google, that's how I did it. For instance mine shows up as a
ST940110A. One Google search shows: http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/specs/ata/st94011a.html .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: