123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why switch from a PC to a Mac mini.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamini

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bani wrote:
watch your quoting ninjamini, you're quoting something i never said.

Sorry bani...dont know how i did that. Probebly posting while asleep.
DellApple

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I made the switch to the Mac is 1) I think the Mac hardware is so much nicer looking then what you get from the PC world. 2) OS X is lights year better then Windows XP. 3) The perople in the Apple Stores and online at Apple.com are so much better to deal with then who you get when you go to CompUSA or Best Buy for PC's.

In short, when I deal with Mac people, I feel like they are all my best friends. Tell you what, I love the Apple Stores. My dream is to walk into one with unlimited funds to buy whatever I wanted. Smile
bani

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly apple seems to be hellbent on putting independent apple retailers out of business, in favor of official apple stores.

local retailers are not happy about having to wait months for mac minis while the apple stores in the rest of the state have no problem getting overflowing stocks of them.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bani wrote:
sadly apple seems to be hellbent on putting independent apple retailers out of business, in favor of official apple stores.

local retailers are not happy about having to wait months for mac minis while the apple stores in the rest of the state have no problem getting overflowing stocks of them.

Yea but they stunk. They were crooks. same as the smaller independent pc stores. charge too much for too little. Dell & gateway put them out of business and apple stores will do the same to them.
bani

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all independent mom & pop apple stores are crooks? that's a pretty sweeping generalization, and imo grossly unfair.

the small independent mom & pop pc stores appear to be doing just fine despite dell & gateway and any number of mega-retailers. probably because the mom & pop pc stores don't outsource their support to india.

there are lots of local independent pc stores locally doing just fine.

there is only one apple retailer, and they are having to struggle with apple playing preferential games and withholding shipments from them for months on end.

the nearest apple store is 240 miles from here. why is apple so hellbent on putting mom & pop stores out of business? if apple wants more people to buy their stuff, forcing independent retailers out of business isn't the way to do it.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A majority of people buy their computer stuff over the net. It's not only Apple's doing! People want these dealers to be around when they need help, but when it comes time to buy...they go online!
bani

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what if the majority of people buy their computer stuff online? why should apple deliberately be trying to put mom & pop apple stores out of business?

i don't want to have to drive 240 miles to get apple help.

you think this is a good thing?

this is as silly as compaq withholding shipments to staples stores because compaq wants to sell their laptops directly from their own online store.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, no! You miss the point. Apple is in the business to sell computers. They build them, write the software and sell them to customers both on the web and direct retail. They have formed some partnerships with stores like Best Buy. Why would they want to support small retailers in any way.

The problem with the small retailer:

Evil or Very Mad Small business usually means small minded. They view the computer as a way to sell periphals and support.

Evil or Very Mad They do not sell through product in a timly fashion.

Evil or Very Mad They usually want flooring. That means that the get the product now and pay for it in 30 or 60 days.

Evil or Very Mad They want product price protection. This means that when the price drops to clearence it out any inventory that they did not sell they get a credit for. For a retailer that does not sell there inventory it will be a loss for Apple.

Evil or Very Mad If they dont sell it they complain that it was the product and want to pay less to mark it down. Or you have to hound them to get paid. Or they dont pay at all.

Evil or Very Mad Small retilers only buy a few peices. Inventory managment is the same if the inventory shiped to a store is 10 or 10,000 of an item. Who wants to take a PO (Purchase Order) for 5 or 10 or even 20 peices.

Evil or Very Mad Small retialers dont want to carry the whole line. They want to pick and choose. Thus not representing the product in its best light.

Evil or Very Mad Small retailers dont want to display the priduct in the way that Apple wants. Product image is important.

Evil or Very Mad POP (Point of purchase material) ie brochures, signs, banners... cost a lot of $$$ to produce. Sm stores order want it...usually dont put it up...throw it away and then complain they did not get it...put it up too late cuz that guy is out sick...leave it up too long (after a promotion is over)...or just let it get in disrepair.

Evil or Very Mad Apple never knows what a small store is saying to their customers. Its that image thing again.

No matter what you do small retailers are hard to work with and frankly they are the last resort in retail. Why dont you want to do business with them...They cost you money...they cost you time...they dont put out the right image for your product...and there just a pain in the butt.

When part of your business is retail why would you want to support your compition.
bani

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually most of the points you made indicate apple is selling mostly image. isnt that what advertising is for? apple had it right with the 'think different' ads. those were great. whatever happened to them? i havent seen apple ads in years, only in apple-specific venues.

companies like compaq, etc have no problems whatsoever selling through resellers. only apple seems to have "problems".
idave

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always tried to support mom and pop computer shops in the past. As years have gone by and they fall by the wayside I find myself missing the "community" aspect of going there. I remember going into small local shops in the 80's-90's and meeting other users and sharing info. You could find out about local clubs and events as well. I like going to the Apple store even though itís an hour away because it reminds me a little of the old days with the in-store events and all. Honestly, when the last time you met another Apple user or got valuable information at Best Buy or CompUSA?
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
ninjamini

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bani, I dont want to debate you cuz I know that you have alot of great info and advice on the Mini. But I do love a spirited debate so what the heck.

Yes advertising is one component of brand image. But that image has to be maintained and protected. That extends to how the product is advertised (store ads), positioned on store shelves, what signage or POP is used and when its used, and what the sales people say. It also extends to selling yesterdays hardware in todays market. Let me explain

Lets say computer store XYZ buys 10 mac mini's in todays $499 configuration. Lets say that in 2 months they have 2 left. They still need to sell them...when the new verson of the $499 mac mini comes out the customer that buys the old box does not have the same experience as the one that buys the new version. Brand image is controlling whats out there, how its sold and what the consumer experience is.

Yea buy Compaq is not HPs low end computer...anyone can have it...no one wants it, at least no one who knows about what makes a good computer.

I see ads all the time from Apple...There all iPod ads. Why, cuz thats where there reall brand awareness is right now.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
I've always tried to support mom and pop computer shops in the past. As years have gone by and they fall by the wayside I find myself missing the "community" aspect of going there. I remember going into small local shops in the 80's-90's and meeting other users and sharing info. You could find out about local clubs and events as well. I like going to the Apple store even though itís an hour away because it reminds me a little of the old days with the in-store events and all. Honestly, when the last time you met another Apple user or got valuable information at Best Buy or CompUSA?

Your so right idave! The computer clubs of the past have gone away. Remember if it was not for those computer clubs we would not have the mac or windows. It would just be IBM probebly running DOS 12.1

But this change is the natural couarse of events as the computer turns into an appliance.

Cars were the same way. 80 years ago there were car clubs to keep them running. Now we get in and drive...all but a small group of drivers treat there car as a tool. get in drive...take it to service when a dummy light comes on. when it gets old buy a new one...every 3-5 years.

Which life do you prefer? The tinker or the appliance. Mac mini is the begining of the new computer appliance era. $499 gets you a great computer. Put it in the office, theater room, dorm room or even car...more ideas to come later. Its an appliance...and a dam good one. When it slows down throw it out. Your kids school wont want it when its two years old cuz it will be too slow for them.
bani

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the point on the ipod is an interesting one. a huge chunk of apple's revenue (more than 30%) is dependent on ipod sales. i suspect a lot of the ipod demand is driven by itunes. how long can apple sustain this position? surely not forever.

it's nice to see apple diversifying a little with the mini, but i worry about the heavy dependence on the ipod to keep apple afloat.
idave

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bani wrote:

it's nice to see apple diversifying a little with the mini, but i worry about the heavy dependence on the ipod to keep apple afloat.

I don't think the iPod is a one trick pony. Podcast's are the next hot thing "fad" that should push the iPod along further and give it new legs.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
bani

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think podcasts are enough to carry ipod sales.

an ipod with satellite radio might be though. but apple will have to ensure scheduled recording works as effortlessly as tivo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: