123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three things to make the Mac mini even better?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JazzyMac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No solos. Maintain the ease of switching to a cheap Mac--as was the initial intentions of the mini. Preinstall Bootcamp.

Update iPhoto for crying out loud. I know this is software, but daggonit--let me edit my pics in iPhoto to match the files on my hard drive!

Better Airport reception.

Smoother cd/dvd slot loading. It currently takes discs like a cassette tape. Is that normal???

Keyboard, mouse

Carrying case to prove it's portability.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake wrote:

As for the graphics chip? I dont see them realistically putting even an embedded Nvidia or Ati one ine there. They are with intel, and the majority of general 'consumer level' products only have a crappy integrated chip in them. So face it - I'd like to see a dedicated graphics chip inside the mac mini or macbook as much as you guys, but its not going to happen.

I totally agree. If Apple had decided to put a dedicated chip in the MacBook, I would have said there was a better chance. But it's clear that Apple has decided that the GPU will separate the "consumer" level machines from the "pro" machines. The iMac is placed in there to be the bridge. This is probably because the Core Duo is being used in every Intel Mac. So on that level, there is very little separating the machines. Hopefully that will change once Merom, Conroe and Woodcrest come out.

JazzyMac wrote:
Keyboard, mouse

Carrying case to prove it's portability.

If Apple includes a keyboard and mouse with the Mac mini, that means the box it comes will need to be bigger. There goes your free portable carrying case! Wink

All kidding aside, I think it's time for Apple to drop the BYODKM thing. It should just be BYOD.
Dan__

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Low end Merom's intro priced same as Yonah intro! Reply with quote

Drake wrote:
dont you guys know how much the merom chip costs? Of course they are going to only use it for pro machines - apple has recently said they want a distinction between their lines of products, and the new processors is what is going to make the difference

MacMini - Yonah (neither will they put merom in one of these)

From http://everythingapple.blogspot.com/2006/01/intel-posts-official-yonah-pricing.html
and
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3058

Initial pricing (lots of 1000, probably not what Apple pays, but useful for comparison):

Yonah (introduced Jan 2006):
  • T1300, single-core 1.5 GHz, 2MB L2 cache: $209
  • T2300, Dual-core 1.66GHz, 2MB L2 cache: $241

Merom (introduced July 2006):
  • T5500, Dual-core 1.66GHz, 2MB L2 cache: $209
  • T5600, Dual-core 1.83GHz, 2MB L2 cache: $240
  • T7200, Dual-core 2.0GHz, 4MB L2 cache: $294

The Merom T5500 and T5600 are priced just right for a drop in replacement. That's what I would expect!

Apple would just be shooting themselves in the foot if they want more differentiation. The 4MB cache models with higher clock speeds will have to suffice for that.

I'd also like to see the return of a $499 model with one of the Yonah chips, (so now 3 models!) -- which should be doable considering the anticipated price drops -- as well as cheaper BTO RAM upgrades.

Dan

Last edited by Dan__ on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
orig_club_soda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: my fav upgrades Reply with quote

1. Ram access from an external panel like a laptop
2. TV tuner
3. Better video
diulei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Apple meant for the Mac Mini to be their budget, entry level PC, but part of the reason it appeals to me so much is the size, but I'd like it to have the ability to be a more capable machine. I think some people here would agree. Do you all think there would be a market for higher-end Minis (while keeping the cheaper ones for people interested in budget Macs)? I'm talking about 2Ghz+ processors, and a real video card.
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy with my mini but I think they should bring back the CUBE! It would be a mini with a 3.5" drive and separate graphics card.

Oh, and it would probably be conroe!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan__

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diulei wrote:
Question: Apple meant for the Mac Mini to be their budget, entry level PC, but part of the reason it appeals to me so much is the size, but I'd like it to have the ability to be a more capable machine. I think some people here would agree. Do you all think there would be a market for higher-end Minis (while keeping the cheaper ones for people interested in budget Macs)? I'm talking about 2Ghz+ processors, and a real video card.

A number of people don't think a real graphics card will fit in the chassis, unless it's expanded.

I think there'd be quite a market for a bigger (but not huge), headless box, a real GPU, a 3.5" drive, and with the new Conroe processors. Making things bigger can be cheaper and faster. With more space, you can keep those Conroe's cool enough. Perhaps... the new Mac. $700-$1400 price range.

Conroe prices:
  • E6700 : 2.67 GHz – FSB1066 – 4 MB cache – $529
  • E6600 : 2.40 GHz – FSB1066 – 4 MB cache – $315
  • E6400 : 2.13 GHz – FSB1066 – 2 MB cache – $240
  • E6300 : 1.86 GHz – FSB1066 – 2 MB cache - $210

I bet they could build a pretty decent box with the cheapest Conroe, basic but not integrated graphics, 160GB 7200 drive, 1GB memory, Superdrive?, for around the lowest price of that range.

BTW, it appears you can always drop in a high performance Merom when you like. The currently shipping Mini's seem to take them pretty well as an upgrade.

Dan
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan__ wrote:
I think there'd be quite a market for a bigger (but not huge), headless box, a real GPU, a 3.5" drive, and with the new Conroe processors. Making things bigger can be cheaper and faster. With more space, you can keep those Conroe's cool enough. Perhaps... the new Mac. $700-$1400 price range.

Dan, there is a current discussion about a "Mac" at this thread.

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6896&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I think there are a few of us that would like to see a new headless Mac. One more capable than a Mini, with easier upgradability and standard desktop parts including a real GPU. But it would have to be priced right in order not to take some the Minis cheap price tag and steal some sales away from it. Of course as usual, Apple would get a heft profit margin, like they always do on their products.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...I wish they'd bring back the Cube. In fact, I'm sort of thinking that Apple will, in time. I think I did start a thread about that somewhere...that gaping hole between Mac Mini and (future) Mac Pro is much too wide. There needs to be a non-all-in-one priced priced around $999-1,499.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diulei wrote:
I agree...I wish they'd bring back the Cube. In fact, I'm sort of thinking that Apple will, in time. I think I did start a thread about that somewhere...that gaping hole between Mac Mini and (future) Mac Pro is much too wide. There needs to be a non-all-in-one priced priced around $999-1,499.

I don't think Apple will ever bring back the Cube, but that gaping hole could easily be filled with a Mac mini (Pro) model with 128MB ATI video, 1GB RAM, and 120GB drive for under a grand.
iLife's a Bitch!
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
diulei wrote:

I don't think Apple will ever bring back the Cube, but that gaping hole could easily be filled with a Mac mini (Pro) model with 128MB ATI video, 1GB RAM, and 120GB drive for under a grand.

Boo hiss. Smile I want a cube!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
diulei wrote:

I think there needs to be a whole new device right smack in the middle. Not a souped up Mini or a dumbed down Mac Pro. Well maybe a dumbed down Mac Pro, but with a different casing than the Mac Pro itself. It should just be a Mac, mainly because a Mac Mini Pro would just seem a little silly. I mean a Mini Pro machine with a 5400 RPM or even a 7200 RPM (which limits capacity) notebook HD with a small slower-than-a-full-size disc drive? Also since you can and should get the storage at least an option to 320GB and not limit it to 160GB or 200GB. If you were to impose those limitations, well then it would need a screen and be portable, wait... MacBook Pro?

It would also benefit Apple, as it wouldn't consist of notebook price hardware, but desktop size and price hardware. That way they could make more profit margins off of each unit sold.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuishimi wrote:

If Apple is going to continue down that path of marketing the Mac mini as a media device, they need to keep down the overall height of the computer. I mean the Cube was almost 10" tall. A computer that tall won't fit into most entertainment centers. I would just like to see them add enough height or width to the mini so it can accommodate a 3.5" drive. They already have enough room in there for a dedicated video card.

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

I think there needs to be a whole new device right smack in the middle. Not a souped up Mini or a dumbed down Mac Pro.

That's what the iMac is for. Wink
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Tuishimi wrote:

If Apple is going to continue down that path of marketing the Mac mini as a media device, they need to keep down the overall height of the computer. I mean the Cube was almost 10" tall. A computer that tall won't fit into most entertainment centers. I would just like to see them add enough height or width to the mini so it can accommodate a 3.5" drive. They already have enough room in there for a dedicated video card.

Well if you can't make it taller, then you go wider. Make it close to the standard component width. 17-inches wide and an inch-to-two or so high, you can fit a lot into a structure of that size. Especially if they can squeeze all that it is into the Mini.

devo wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
I think there needs to be a whole new device right smack in the middle. Not a souped up Mini or a dumbed down Mac Pro.

That's what the iMac is for. Wink

Yes and no.
Sure it is in the middle ground, but many people do not want an all-in-one device. Any all-in-one has the same disadvantage, in case if one part is fails, sometimes the whole thing becomes useless.
Majority of the people already have computers, with monitors and are looking to upgrade and move on. So if some want to upgrade without switching to a new monitor, they can do so.
Some like the option of picking your own monitor from whatever company. Sure Cinema displays are nice, but you find a lot going for the comparable Dell widescreens. Of course Apple is making more profit on the screens than Dell, just like the decent profit off of all other Apple products.

Also I was referring to a middle ground computer as being a screenless tower/box config, not an all-in-one, as I should have clarified it better.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. 3.5 inch drive - Nothing compares to the speed or upgradeability.

2. eSATA - For off loading video, music, etc.

3. discrete video card - preferably a nVidia 7600gs with Pure Video
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: