123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will you purchase a MacPro?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: not infallible Reply with quote

MiniMoe wrote:
The all-in-one computer has defined "Macintosh" since the beginning. Going back to the all-in-one Macintosh in the form of the iMac helped save Apple. It has been, and will continue to be, the center of Apple's desktop line-up, without internal competition from a headless version–at least as long as Jobs is at the helm.

I agree with most of Moe's post, except the last sentence above. After all, the Mini competes pretty directly with the iMac. I wouldn't say that SJ is committed to the "all-in-one" concept. He didn't originate it (Jef Raskin was the project leader for the original Mac), and clearly one of his pet ideas in his second tour at Apple was the "cube" (remember the original Next?). I think his commitment is to ideas that sell, and he's willing to abandon the ones that don't. Whether a computer is introduced in the hole between the iMac and the Mac Pro depends, in my opinion, solely on whether there is a perceived opportunity for increasing market share. To do this, another Mac would need to draw customers who won't buy an iMac or a Mac Pro.

My configuration for this hypothetical machine would be:

1. One dual-core processor only; impossible to upgrade to compete with Mac Pro in processing power.

2. At most 8 GB RAM (possibly 4 GB ).

3. At most two internal hard drive bays and one optical drive.

4. FW 400 only.

5. Fewer PCI slots.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking with the new naming convention. Mac Mini, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro there is natural tenacy to think that a Mac XXXX will being introduced (below the Pro line). The iMac name doesn't even fit in any longer (I doubt it will be replaced though).

I could be wrong but I would be surprised, whether it is a Mac Media Center or just a plain Mac the demand seems to be present and so does the space within the product line seem to be present.

After watching the Leopard preview on Apple's site there are too many cool things that will be introduced with it's release. I'm going to stick with my G4 mini until Leopard comes pre-installed on a new system. I'm assuming a new version of iLife will be released at the same time. By the time Leopard is released, I think a new model WILL be introduced to the product line.

The other thing that leads me to believe this is that when Steve Jobs was directly asked if Apple would be introducing a Mac Media Center. He replied "we hear you loud and clear". This to me says many people have asked. Why wouldn't Apple offer what people HAVE asked for?

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you catch the comment that Quicktime will support the Closed Captioning standard in Leopard?

Did you know that ElGato is no longer selling the HDTV EyeTV 500? Maybe they know something.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they don't do it in an all aluminum case, a nice polycarbonate case would be fine with me. I'm sure with such a material they could make it into some unusual, but brilliant in form type casing.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Even if they don't do it in an all aluminum case, a nice polycarbonate case would be fine with me. I'm sure with such a material they could make it into some unusual, but brilliant in form type casing.

A matte black like the optional MacBook would be nice to see.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

A matte black like the optional MacBook would be nice to see.
I like the way you think Cool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with one of the earlier posts that form factor is important here, and I think something like a modified Cube or Dan's expanded Mini would go over well. I was very disappointed with the Mac Pro, not only because of the price but also because they are continuing to use the oversized tower. I have a dual 1.8 G5 in my office and I think it's a monstrosity. I was hoping to get rid of it in favour of a Mac Pro, but I won't be doing that now. I like the specs on the iMac but I don't want an all-in-one. So I'm now waiting to see what will be offered in the upgraded Mini - soon please, Steve.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I agree with one of the earlier posts that form factor is important here, and I think something like a modified Cube or Dan's expanded Mini would go over well. I was very disappointed with the Mac Pro, not only because of the price but also because they are continuing to use the oversized tower. I have a dual 1.8 G5 in my office and I think it's a monstrosity. I was hoping to get rid of it in favour of a Mac Pro, but I won't be doing that now. I like the specs on the iMac but I don't want an all-in-one. So I'm now waiting to see what will be offered in the upgraded Mini - soon please, Steve.

I eyeballed my brothers PowerMac case. I roughly calculated that it is the size of 40 Mac mini's. I was a little disappointed to see the MacPro remain the same size, but it makes sense, given that they are now actaully using the room. The PowerMac is just huge for what it holds.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Bill, I think it's the reverse in a way. The big case is needed for the G5 because of high heat production and the need for extra fans and direct air and/or water cooling pathways. The Mac Pro should not require so much engineering to dissipate heat, albeit it does have more of the space inside taken up with add-on bays and the like.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least the new Intels give us hope for a smaller case design in a "Mac".
Jet23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we recieved a couple clues from the keynote Monday, the first being that the Mac Pro is shipping with Woodcrest. I believe that if Apple wasn't planning on creating a midrange Mac, than they would have shipped at least one configuration of the Mac Pro with Conroe. I think that their apparent decision to making all models of the Mac Pro as high end as possible is a sign that they are creating room for a new Mac.

It would only have room for one processor, which could be removed and replaced with a more powerful version. It would have one disk drive, room for two harddrives (Running Time Machine internally would be nice), and be capable of running two displays.

The graphics card would be easily accessible, along with memory (support for up to 8GBs).

I think that Apple should follow a similar price strategy to the Mac Pro, giving one configuration with room for modifications. I think that the base model would be successful at $1,200, and if you stripped it to the lowest possible settings, it would cost $1,000. In the same breath, the highest end model would cost thousands, but for real people, a powerful version (highest end processor), would run close to $2,000.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jet23 wrote:
I think we recieved a couple clues from the keynote Monday, the first being that the Mac Pro is shipping with Woodcrest. I believe that if Apple wasn't planning on creating a midrange Mac, than they would have shipped at least one configuration of the Mac Pro with Conroe. I think that their apparent decision to making all models of the Mac Pro as high end as possible is a sign that they are creating room for a new Mac.

It would only have room for one processor, which could be removed and replaced with a more powerful version. It would have one disk drive, room for two harddrives (Running Time Machine internally would be nice), and be capable of running two displays.

The graphics card would be easily accessible, along with memory (support for up to 8GBs).

I think that Apple should follow a similar price strategy to the Mac Pro, giving one configuration with room for modifications. I think that the base model would be successful at $1,200, and if you stripped it to the lowest possible settings, it would cost $1,000. In the same breath, the highest end model would cost thousands, but for real people, a powerful version (highest end processor), would run close to $2,000.
I agree with most of what you say. But instead, start with the $1,000 as the baseline instead of the middle line processor model. Most consumers will see the price, which would definitely be attractive for what you would get. Then when they configure the machine, you can upgrade the processor as you like with other available options.

BTW, I agree, it would be nice to run Time Machine on an additional internal HD. Especially true for a Mac Pro having up-to 4 hard drives.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Thurrott compares the prices of Mac Pros and Dells

John Gruber debunks the comparison

Thurrott is such an idiot.

Confused

Jamie
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
Paul Thurrott compares the prices of Mac Pros and Dells

John Gruber debunks the comparison

Thurrott is such an idiot.

Confused

Jamie
That Thurrott guy is a jackass, but he is right on one point in the comparison. You should include the AppleCare to the price point. Since the Dell comes standard with a 3-year warranty. Even if they differ in terms of performance, it is the time you pay for. One-year vs three-years is a big difference. But the guy is a jackass and he was trying to fix the mistake that he made. Basically what it comes down to, he is anti-Apple and wants to prove them wrong. Though he was wrong and as the second link points out. He takes any chance to take aim at Apple. It's really no different from reading the forums on CNET. As a vast majority of people on there are anti-Apple without even trying a Mac. Fools none-the-less.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Another Mini-Tower/Cube Design Reply with quote

Saw this link on another forum with regards mac mini-tower/cube designs (apologies if it's been mentioned before elsewhere on the forum):

http://www.conf.co.jp/new_folder/making/cube_11.html

It's a foreign page so you can't read the text but I think the pictures speak quite plainly for themselves....

Whilst their intent was for it to be a possible mock-up for the G4 Cube's successor, I think it's such a great looking design that it would be perfect for a new Apple mini-tower. With the addition of an all aluminium chassis, a re-design of the internals to incorporate the new Intel architecture and some other minor tweaks here and there (like the eternal ports for instance) Apple would have a mini-tower which I'd sell my grandmother to get hold of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: