123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KVM USB or PS/2??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: KVM USB or PS/2?? Reply with quote

I've got an IOGear PS2/SVGA KVM that I am hoping to use on my new Mac Mini (when it gets here!). Anyway, all my keyboards and mice are PS/2. I use them regularly via PS/2->USB Y-cables on PC's and laptops I own that do not have PS/2 connections without issue.

In fact, I do the same thing THROUGH my KVM, so I am hoping to not have an issue with the Mac Mini as I would hate to have to incorporate two keyboards and two mice onto my desk... Sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bubba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your KVM should work ok, but don't expect to use any special features (keyboard shortcut keys, etc). I wasn't happy with my old PS/2 KVM when I got my first mac over a year ago because of various mice/keyboard issues, so I purchased an IOGEAR 4 port USB one (which also has additional cables you can buy that will hook into old legacy PS/2 instead of USB for things like my linux boxes). All my linux boxes are happy (I purchased the PS/2 cables for it, and my Mac is always happy and actually sees what type of keyboard and mouse (Logictech wireless) is on the otherside so I can actually use the special functions. I'm so glad I got this KVM.... It's not DVI, but I couldn't really tell that much difference from my Powerbook plugged in DVI and VGA....
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: KVM USB or PS/2?? Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
I've got an IOGear PS2/SVGA KVM that I am hoping to use on my new Mac Mini (when it gets here!). Anyway, all my keyboards and mice are PS/2. I use them regularly via PS/2->USB Y-cables on PC's and laptops I own that do not have PS/2 connections without issue.

In fact, I do the same thing THROUGH my KVM, so I am hoping to not have an issue with the Mac Mini as I would hate to have to incorporate two keyboards and two mice onto my desk... Sad

You should sell it on ebay and get a new Iogear USB KVM with audio! This model looks nice. http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS1732 Very Happy

Although I have heard PS2 KVM's are less buggy the USB ones. Just some random thoughts!
bubba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: KVM USB or PS/2?? Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
mavherzog wrote:

You should sell it on ebay and get a new Iogear USB KVM with audio! This model looks nice. http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS1732 Very Happy

Although I have heard PS2 KVM's are less buggy the USB ones. Just some random thoughts!

That's the one I have but a 4 porter. It rules!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, the same thing as I have, except it is PS/2 (SVGA, keyboard, mouse, and audio). IOGear 4-port.

I am going to at least try the Mini on the thing before ditching it...especially since I already have a truck load of the PS/2-> USB y-cables to use with it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
clicclic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this last night and couldn't get it to work with my old Gateway (Win 2000):

MiniView™ Micro USB PLUS KVM Switch - GCS632U

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS632U

It's Mac Mini friendly so it should work with the mac mini. Looks like I'll need to play more with it tonight. I agree that PS/2 products are less buggy/flaky than USB stuff. Especially in Windoze...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bubba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clicclic wrote:
I bought this last night and couldn't get it to work with my old Gateway (Win 2000):

MiniView™ Micro USB PLUS KVM Switch - GCS632U

It's Mac Mini friendly so it should work with the mac mini. Looks like I'll need to play more with it tonight. I agree that PS/2 products are less buggy/flaky than USB stuff. Especially in Windoze...

Which is why I got a USB one that also has optional PS/2 cables...
clicclic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: MiniView Micro USB followup... (yes it works) Reply with quote

Edited: March 03, 2005

It really pays to RTFM. I didn't of course until two nights ago. But now I know what was "wrong."

This little KVM switch does work with a PC/Mac Mini:

Connect everything, turn both machines on, then press Scroll Lock twice to switch between the two. It works fine. If only I did.

clicclic
A Technical Writer who writes these damn manuals

Last edited by clicclic on Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nalenb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4 port IOGear USB KVM (G-CSIO4U) and it works okay with the mini via VGA. Drawbacks to my KVM: no keyboard switching, USB 1.1 (not 2.0), no DVI, no audio. I'd want all those things if I bought another one. As it is now, some of my usb devices are only available to the mini and not my XP boxes. I'll also be using the monitors selector for VGA/DVI once my new monitor comes.
san2005

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A USB KVM would be best unless you want to use PS2 to USB adaptors.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4-port IOGear PS/2 KVM. I have seen ZERO issues with PS/2<>USB (y-cables) adapters working with the mini...
bubba

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
I have a 4-port IOGear PS/2 KVM. I have seen ZERO issues with PS/2<>USB (y-cables) adapters working with the mini...

Are you using any specialized keyboards/mice that have advanced features and OS X driver software (like hot keys, volume buttons, play/pause, etc). If so, do these work ok through the y-adapters? I didn't have any luck with them.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Are you using any specialized keyboards/mice that have advanced features and OS X driver software (like hot keys, volume buttons, play/pause, etc). If so, do these work ok through the y-adapters? I didn't have any luck with them.

Nope...Standard, boring, featureless keyboard and mouse.. Smile

You are right that specialized keyboards and mice typically will not work as expected with the vendor drivers through these adapters...
Virtual Warrior

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: KVM Switch - Using both machines at once Reply with quote

I have my Mac Mini and Emachine using the same keyboard, monitor, mouse. I usually shut down one OS, then start the other.

A friend claims that I don't have to shut down, just press the top of the KVM switch.

Want to know if this is true or not. Using a Belkin KVM. Thanx! Rolling Eyes
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your friend is correct. You can have both machines run at the same time and do not need to shut down. Some KVM's use hotkeys on the keyboard or a button on the KVM to go between machines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: