123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini vs iMac
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamini

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Mac Mini vs iMac Reply with quote

I am convertine from a PC to a Mac. The last mac I used was in high school and it was an AppleIIe.

I wanted the Mac Mini for its small size. But at $848 + $799 for the monitor it seems like a dumb purchase when compared with an iMac.

Mac Mini:
$1647
20-inch widescreen LCD
1.42 G4
Airport extreme
512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
80GB Ultra ATA drive
Superdrive
1.42GHz PowerPC G4

iMac:
$1799
2 GH G5
20-inch widescreen LCD
2GHz PowerPC G5
667MHz frontside bus
512MB DDR400 SDRAM
250GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load 8x SuperDrive (double-layer)
ATI Radeon 9600
128MB DDR video memory
Keyboard & Mouse

The only down side of the iMAC...if the computer breaks you also loose the monitor. Monitors last longer than computers. I will want to upgrade my computer long before I will want to change my monitor. e.g. The monitor I am using now is 12 years old, a 17" sony crt. My computer is 5 years old and had been upgraded 2 times through out its life.

Any thoughts????
jase

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your case, where you need the system, monitor, and peripherals, the iMac is the better deal. It's just a faster system all the way around.

The Mini would be a fine option if you already had a monitor, or maybe even if you intended to buy a less expensive Dell 20" LCD.

If you wanted to keep the monitor, you could also look at something like the base G5 Powermac with a 20" LCD. It would cost even more than the iMac, but would allow you to recycle the monitor when you moved on to another system. It would also give you even more expandability than the iMac.

There are lots of ways to go. It's just a matter of deciding how much you want to spend, and balancing that with how much you want...
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an iMac this morning. It's a refurb but the price "$899" was good too pass up and it has a warranty. Check this post out...

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=679
billabong

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense guys but I hate AIO computers! I would rather buy the Mac mini and Cinema Display than the iMac.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billabong wrote:
No offense guys but I hate AIO computers! I would rather buy the Mac mini and Cinema Display than the iMac.

Even at the same cost? Given the cost hardware differences?
billabong

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure! Confused

I mean you're bundling the mini with one of the more expensive20" LCDs on the market.

Here would be another option.

Techbargains: Dell 2005FPW 20.1-inch LCD Flat Panel, 1680x1050, 600:1 contrast ratio , 12ms response, DVI, Svideo, Composite Video $749 - 35% off code: S0BDZ6HBTFDPSL Exp Th 5/26 5:59am - $90 off $750 coupon
Code: 79VT3767HP833W = $397, Free shipping. Add $1 in items to qualify for $90 off coupon.

with

Mac mini 1.42Ghz with Superdrive, AE, Apple Wireless Keyboad and Mouse, 1GB of aftermarket memory. I mean who buys their memory from Apple... Wink

$397.00
$997.00

$1394

Now you got a $400 dollar price difference with LCD prices falling more and more everyday. It's a tuff call but I'd probably opt for the Mac mini.
idave

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact of having the Apple Cinema Display because it keeps the doors open for the future. To be honest, I'm not too crazy about the iMac G5's design. You can always get the Power Mac G5 Tower! Very Happy
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use my iMac more than the Mac mini. The machine is simply faster and more responsive. I would recommend buying the iMac over the Mac mini if these are your two options. Even more, since Apple upgraded the iMac video to 128MB!
iLife's a Bitch!
ninjamini

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billabong wrote:
I'm not 100% sure! Confused
Techbargains: Dell 2005FPW 20.1-inch LCD Flat Panel, 1680x1050, 600:1 contrast ratio , 12ms response, DVI, Svideo, Composite Video $749 - 35% off code: S0BDZ6HBTFDPSL Exp Th 5/26 5:59am - $90 off $750 coupon
Code: 79VT3767HP833W = $397, Free shipping. Add $1 in items to qualify for $90 off coupon.
$397

I cant get those coupons to work.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 17" iMac and 3 mac mini's. The iMac is simply a beefier system. The screen is BEAUTIFUL. But the mac mini is SOOO cute AND quiet.

It all depends on what you want really...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
idave

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
I've got a 17" iMac and 3 mac mini's. The iMac is simply a beefier system. The screen is BEAUTIFUL. But the mac mini is SOOO cute AND quiet.

It all depends on what you want really...

Which route would you go since you have both systems?
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
Which route would you go since you have both systems?

If I could only have ONE system, and my choice was between a 20" iMac and a Mac mini with an equivalent 20" LCD...I would choose the iMac. Simply because it is a G5 over a G4, better video chipset (with more video memory), more ports (USB/firewire), better internal speaker(s) (although that can be negated by external speakers), etc...

Of course, that does not factor in cost or anything like that. You can't get around the fact that the iMac is a better system. That being said...I already had a nice LCD monitor, KVM, keyboard, etc sitting on my desk...so the mini makes more sense for ME right now (and I DO love it, BTW).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
itsupikiookami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in about the same boat that you are, but with some exceptions. I'm running on a 500MHz 12.1" iBook, so nearly anything would be a huge improvement for me.

I did some pricing this morning (and I've since found better deals) and came up with this:

1.25GHz
512MB: $862.93
1024MB: $912.93

1.42GHz
512MB: $962.93
1024MB $1012.93

RAM: http://www.macramdirect.com/mini.html (and if one were to look more thoroughly than I did I'm sure one could find even cheaper RAM...
Monitor: Samsung 172x-Silver

I used the Apple Education discount when figuring the prices, though, so if that's not available to you then add $20 to the prices.

Granted, it'll only be a 17" monitor, but I'm perfectly comfortable with that (consider what I'm coming from!). Speed isn't such a major concern for me either, again considering what I'm coming from, to justify the need for an iMac. Sure, it'd be great to have one, but I'm a little too weary about having my monitor permanently attached to my computer with no way to replace it should anything happen to it.

Also, should I decide to replace the mini with whatever Intel, I mean Apple, comes out with next year I won't have sunk a small fortune into an integrated solution. I'll still have my spiffy 12ms silver Samsung monitor and everything else I'll need to make the jump to the next mini.

You also didn't mention what you planned on doing with your new Mac... Personally, I plan on using it for the requisite browsing of the web, e-mail, Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Imageready. Believe it or not, I have fairly decent performance with what I've got, I'd just like things to run a *little* more smoothly.

Further on down the road I'd like to replace the hard drive (as I abhor the performance of the typical laptop hard drive), but that can wait awhile.

*coughlongwindedcough*

Basically, ask yourself what you're going to use your computer for. Will you benefit from the faster and more expensive iMac, or can you get by with the mini?

Cheers!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on how long you plan to use the computer without upgrading.
From the sound of things. You appreciate a good monitor. Having bought a 17" Sony 12 years ago. You probably paid over $1000 for that monitor back then.
You can buy a new Intel based mini ~ a year from now and still have a beautiful Cinema display or whatever you choose. You will probably be looking at a model that will be faster than todays iMacs.

The fan is not in your face on a mini. The mini and ACD looks better. Repair costs are lower with the mini. It's easier to access the DVD drive on a mini. You can pick and choose your keyboard and mouse or use your old ones. The iMac is shiny reflective plasitc and it's prone to fingerprints. If you're tall you have the option of purchasing a monitor that is telescopic.

Basically I like the mini better all around. If it had a G5 it wouldn't even be a question. If speed is an issue, buy a Power Mac.

You can also use your 17" sony for a while.
niza_zak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup..I bought my Mac Mini with my 730MW coz I stay in a small room(hostel).
I have everything I need with the monitor(TV+radio+VGA input for my GC).
The Mini is just for my assignments and casual gaming.
The mini will be absolete for a couple of years..so does the iMac..
Will you buy the iMac with the AppleCare?
You don't wanna loose everything if the iMac break down..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: